IGNORED

Bees in a bunker

darkhunter139
Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing today and hit in a bunker that was filled with bee's.  I was not about to step in there and get my ball back because that just is not worth it...

I am pretty sure I can get a free drop from this but there was bee's all over the bunker so there was no way I could drop it anywhere else in the bunker and hit.  My solution to this problem was to walk off the course on the 10th because it was really hot and I did not feel like playing anymore.  I wasn't scoring the round anyway but I am just curious what I would do if I were? Would I have to take a penalty if I dropped it behind the bunker a safe distance from the bee's?

Q. A player's ball comes to rest in a situation dangerous to the player, e.g., near a live rattlesnake or a bees' nest. In equity (Rule 1-4 ), does the player have any options in addition to playing the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceeding under Rule 26 or 28 ?

A. Yes. It is unreasonable to expect the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair to require the player to incur a penalty under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable).

If the ball lay through the green, the player may, without penalty, drop a ball within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

If the ball lay in a hazard, the player may drop a ball, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous. If possible, the ball must be dropped in the same hazard and, if not possible, in a similar nearby hazard, but in either case not nearer the hole. If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

If the ball lay on the putting green, the player may, without penalty, place a ball at the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous and that is not in a hazard.

If interference by anything other than the dangerous situation makes the stroke clearly impracticable or if the situation would be dangerous only through the use of a clearly unreasonable stroke or an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing, or direction of play, the player may not take relief as prescribed above, but he is not precluded from proceeding under Rule 26 or 28 if applicable. (Revised)

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My course has rattlesnakes so that is good to know, can you drop far enough away without penalty so your not bothered by the animal or within striking distance? Some of these snakes are close to 7' long and I know there is no way I can concentrate knowing that thing is that close and taking my eyes away would give it a chance to attack.

At the risk of outraging the purists, any sign of bees or rattlesnakes!!! in a bunker and I am giving myself a FREE drop as far as possible from danger (no closer to the hole of course) and continuing on my merry way without a stitch of guilt!

If there happens to be a bunker of similar distance from the hole I'll drop it there, but if not, I using my "get outta jail" free card every time. Love golf and I play as honest as I know how but I ain't taking no penalty because of bees or snakes.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My course has the bees in the bunker problem early in the year - it is very unsettling playing out of a bee infested bunker - glad there is a provision for relief !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by onesome

My course has rattlesnakes so that is good to know, can you drop far enough away without penalty so your not bothered by the animal or within striking distance? Some of these snakes are close to 7' long and I know there is no way I can concentrate knowing that thing is that close and taking my eyes away would give it a chance to attack.

you can drop one club length from a spot that is safely out of danger.  If you feel that you must go back 30 ft to be safe, then that is where you go and then you can drop one club length from there, not nearer the hole.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Are you talking about "BEE'S" or those smaller, bee-like sand wasps that nest in the bunker, making small burrows in the sand? We have sand wasps in about half the bunkers on my course and they do not seem to be dangerous. I don't think sand wasps can sting, and I stand and hit around them all the time.

If what you are talking about are in fact bees then yes, I don't go near them, take relief lol.

Sincerely, Jim

Sand wasps do not sting and won't mess with humans more than annoying them by flying around their heads, lol

They are insect eaters.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

We had the same thing at a course we played yesterday. Wasn't sure exactly what sort of bees they were and when I suggested to my buddy that he find out, well, I won't dignify his response by posting it here! :-O

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!