IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this thread should be locked to everyone other than Jimbo posting his Trackman results. Or DarkSun posting more vids of Wii golf.

Come on..... It's like looking at a car wreck. You know you shouldn't, you don't even want to, but you just can't help it!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't feel bad I hit that long and longer sometimes, most guys find it hard to believe until I swing, I am 6'6" 265 though and a 128 club speed. That being said all it does is allow me to hit it further out of bounds. Lol I'm taking my first lesson of my life tomorrow four my 44 b-day

In my playing "career" I have had the opportunity to play with many of these guys after their having told me how great they are hitting it.  In nearly every case (not every), they were exaggerating their abilities by 20% or more (300 yds X 20% is 60 yards for you English majors).

It is amusing that you insult English majors and then make a common mathematical mistake. If someone is exaggerating their drive by 20% to equal 300 yards then 60 yards does not come in to the equation. Donk.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Kickstarter of the Month!

Well he ain't getting long driver of the month, we know that.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Whitetrash

Don't feel bad I hit that long and longer sometimes, most guys find it hard to believe until I swing, I am 6'6" 265 though and a 128 club speed. That being said all it does is allow me to hit it further out of bounds. Lol I'm taking my first lesson of my life tomorrow four my 44 b-day

So your club head speed is faster than Tiger Woods'? That's a ridiculous notion.

Originally Posted by rbarzill

It is amusing that you insult English majors and then make a common mathematical mistake.

If someone is exaggerating their drive by 20% to equal 300 yards then 60 yards does not come in to the equation. Donk.

Bazing!  60 is 20% of 300, but what carrx was looking for was:  what number + 20% of itself = 300.  Or, in algebra:  x + (.2x) = 300.  This is why it never pays to be arrogant- when you are wrong, you look foolish.

But on topic(ish), I have seen my father-in-law, a single digit handicap, cut an over water dogleg to drive over a green that measured at 305 to the pin as the crow flies.  This was in a scramble and was a "what the hell" shot.  He said he really muscled his upper body into it and felt it in his shoulder for 2 days afterwards.  A good drive for me is 250 yards if I manage to put a little draw on it.  If I don't get the clubhead closed on impact I hit a high fade that barely makes it over 200 yards.

Driver:  :adams: super S

Fairway Woods: :tmade: RBZ 15* 3 wood

Hybrids:  :tmade: Burner 2.0 18* 3H, :adams: A7OS 22* 4H, :adams: A7OS 25* 5H

Irons: :adams: A7OS 6-PW

Wedges:  :cleve: 588 RTX 50* GW, :cleve: 588 BeCu 56* SW

Putter:  :odyssey: White Hot XG #7 2.0

Originally Posted by saevel25

Thats actually wrong with regard to Hybrids, woods, and drivers, because the face is rounded. This is because they added a gear effect to the club so that if you hit if off the toe the ball will produce more draw spin and keep the ball in play. There is a great website on this, the guy did the math and proved that this is the case. So its not 90 degrees

This is very true, I stand corrected.  My remarks only apply to clubs other than hybrids and woods.  Since these clubs have a convex surface, as you so rightly point out, the toe points further to the right than the Normal or perpendicular (right hander) so if you hit the ball with the toe of one of those it will go BACKWARDS!!!

[only kidding, but it sure feels that way.... ]

Look chaps and chapesses, I'm doing my best to keep this thread entertaining.  It has long since lost all genuine golfing value.  This whole "toe pointing" thing is quite absurd and should be banned by The Authorities, along with anchoring of course.

Peace ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Well the toe itself is a point not a line, and a point. If i look at my wedge, is the toe the top point of the club furthest away from the hosel, or is at the sole, or is is the farthest edge of the club? If its the top point, then if you draw a line from the hozel to that point it will be pointing less than 90 degrees (assuming angles are from a standard X,y Cordinate and Zero is pointing to the right, and 90 is pointing away from the golfer) If its the heal it would be 90 degrees because that the leading edge. If its the line formed, then its neither. Just saying the toe is confusing enough, because your assuming a 2-D description in a 3-D reality. The correct statement would be that the golf ball will go were the face is pointing, which would be the direction of the leading edge. But even then on a driver when you have it rounded, a toe shot will start out more right and curve back more left, or curve less right due to the Gear effect, while if you have the same open clubface but hit it in the center it will start out less right as a toe shot but not have a gear effect to help it come back left. So really saying the ball starts out 90 degrees to the Toe is wrong, especially with the driver. On an iron its correct, if you take the leading edge of the club it will go 90 degrees to that point, because the face is not curved to take into account a gear effect to correct for mishit shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by BioGolfNebraska

Bazing!  60 is 20% of 300, but what carrx was looking for was:  what number + 20% of itself = 300.  Or, in algebra:  x + (.2x) = 300.  This is why it never pays to be arrogant- when you are wrong, you look foolish.

Ha, I was going to jump on that too.  If you're exaggerating by 20% and claim 300 yards you're driving it 300 / 1.2 = 250 yards, not 0.8 * 300 = 240 yards.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioGolfNebraska

Ha, I was going to jump on that too.  If you're exaggerating by 20% and claim 300 yards you're driving it 300 / 1.2 = 250 yards, not 0.8 * 300 = 240 yards.

If I exaggerate my typical drive by 20% it's at the upper limit of drives I've actually hit during rounds. Not to change the subject, but I'm just sayin'.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well the toe itself is a point not a line, and a point. If i look at my wedge, is the toe the top point of the club furthest away from the hosel, or is at the sole, or is is the farthest edge of the club? If its the top point, then if you draw a line from the hozel to that point it will be pointing less than 90 degrees (assuming angles are from a standard X,y Cordinate and Zero is pointing to the right, and 90 is pointing away from the golfer) If its the heal it would be 90 degrees because that the leading edge. If its the line formed, then its neither. Just saying the toe is confusing enough, because your assuming a 2-D description in a 3-D reality. The correct statement would be that the golf ball will go were the face is pointing, which would be the direction of the leading edge. But even then on a driver when you have it rounded, a toe shot will start out more right and curve back more left, or curve less right due to the Gear effect, while if you have the same open clubface but hit it in the center it will start out less right as a toe shot but not have a gear effect to help it come back left. So really saying the ball starts out 90 degrees to the Toe is wrong, especially with the driver. On an iron its correct, if you take the leading edge of the club it will go 90 degrees to that point, because the face is not curved to take into account a gear effect to correct for mishit shots.

Vasoconstrictor, please.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap. I've been called a few names and would like to continue any conversations/debates with doubters or believers in this thread, instead of continuing in the other ones.

Any input good or bad is very welcome. Cheers

This brings to mind the scene from the first Austin Powers movie, with a twist. Doctor Evil decides to tell his gathered assistants that he's cracked the distance code after being frozen for 30 years, announcing, pinky finger firmly planted in the corner of his mouth, "I've been hitting it...300 yards". Silence fills the room, whereupon his trusted aid (Number Two, a fitting name for our purposes here) gently tells him that 300 yards really isn't that far anymore. "Really?" After being told that the ball and drivers have advanced technologically beyond reason, and average Joes are hitting it 300 plus he looks deflated.

I don't doubt you. I'm more curious about your scores, and if, in the short time you've been playing, have you figured out how to make that distance work to your advantage? Sounds like the Driver is the least of your worries, and you should be spending your time on the putting and chipping greens.

Originally Posted by drillers80

I don't doubt you.

There is every reason to doubt him.

He posted a swing video.

It's been pretty well established that the OP is a confused individual who is very unlikely to hit it much more than 200.

He has probably had a serious wake up call with a launch monitor.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This just shows that the ever-fluctuating exchange rate of real-world yards to internet-yards has risen to something like 1 to 1.4.

Originally Posted by Roblar

This just shows that the ever-fluctuating exchange rate of real-world yards to internet-yards has risen to something like 1 to 1.4.

I thought we had etablished 1 to 1.2 with the 20 percent upthere ^^

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!