IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Most commentators annoy me, so yeah.

I think Faxon and Pepper add some credibility and composure to today's telecast.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Your right brad and dottie are the business, some of the stuff miller says makes you wonder if it's actually an ex pro talking or have they actually hired phillip Seymour hofman. They both sound and look very similar.

Driver - Callaway FTI
3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha
Irons - Mizuno MX100
Putter - TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider
Ball - White round ones

hes a good commentator. he says it how it is and i respect that. foo foo commentators annoy me a lot

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

I thought it was quite funny when Paul Casey was standing around waiting for the goups behind to finish and said (paraphrasing) I bet Johnny is analyzing how come I'm not on the range.

Oh yeah I forgot to add "trap draw" blah blah blah "trap draw".... I mean damn he must say this 30 times in a 4 hour telecast!

I thought it was quite funny when Paul Casey was standing around waiting for the goups behind to finish and said (paraphrasing) I bet Johnny is analyzing how come I'm not on the range.

Ironically, I didn't catch "trap draw" today (I wasn't really listening that closely), Johnny said Paul was fine where he was, and he also suggested that some players listen to his critiques too much.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Ironically, I didn't catch "trap draw" today (I wasn't really listening that closely), Johnny said Paul was fine where he was, and he also suggested that some players listen to his critiques too much.

I only watched for about 10 minutes, but on the 18th hole when Moore was in the rough beside the bunker, Moore put the ball way back in his stance and Johnny said something like "I'll bet he's trying to trap draw this one." Moore hit a good shot too, a nice high draw from that tough stance and lie, he must have caught a bit of a flier.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only watched for about 10 minutes, but on the 18th hole when Moore was in the rough beside the bunker, Moore put the ball way back in his stance and Johnny said something like "I'll bet he's trying to trap draw this one." Moore hit a good shot too, a nice high draw from that tough stance and lie, he must have caught a bit of a flier.

I'm almost embarassed to say that's when I went out to cut the lawn - I didn't want to watch DJ find a new way to lose a tournament. Whew!

Ironically, I didn't catch "trap draw" today (I wasn't really listening that closely), Johnny said Paul was fine where he was, and

I think that one was aimed at Poulter who tweeted something in response to one of Johnny's critiques of his ball striking. Basically Poulter said Johnny is full of "bullocks" which I believe is English speak for bullsh!t.

I liked when Johnny and Dottie Pepper got into Poulter's fashion sense. Dottie said something like Poulter's shoes matched his pants, but not his belt. Is that a fashion no-no? I better check my wardrobe next time I play, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the red and white shoes like Poulter.

Johnny's ok, but he isn't very original. He repeats himself not only hour to hour but also day to day, week to week. He doesn't offer any special insight, and he's kinda annoying. "Eh Rog?"

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Johnny's ok, but he isn't very original. He repeats himself not only hour to hour but also day to day, week to week. He doesn't offer any special insight, and he's kinda annoying. "Eh Rog?"

but.... the trap draw. That's insightful....

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

• 5 months later...

I know some like him and some don't, but I have to give Johnny Miller his due for comments I just heard on Saturday afternoon's Honda Classic telecast.

First, he says of Tommy Gainey--"just an amazing swing. He could tour the country as a 12 handicap and nobody would doubt it."

Gainey hits into the water.

Next shot is Spencer Levin, hitting into the water.

Next shot is Appleby moving it only four feet in a bunker.

Miller: "That might have been the three worst shots in a row in televised history."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine_man View Post
None

Miller is alright. He usually knows his stuff, though occasionally is completely wrong. I do like Feherty. McCord is a complete jack ass!

I like colorful, interesting, and humorous coverage when possible, even if they say some dumb things.

But, Miller comes off like a know-it-all.

I'm glad he is finally done repeating his insight about the grain always going toward the morning sun...."That was a poor putt. Look at the shadow....he should've known..."

Sigh.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Texian

I know some like him and some don't, but I have to give Johnny Miller his due for comments I just heard on Saturday afternoon's Honda Classic telecast.

First, he says of Tommy Gainey--"just an amazing swing. He could tour the country as a 12 handicap and nobody would doubt it."

Gainey hits into the water.

Next shot is Spencer Levin, hitting into the water.

Next shot is Appleby moving it only four feet in a bunker.

Miller: "That might have been the three worst shots in a row in televised history."

Classic Johnny Miller.  I'll watch NBC golf broadcasts just because I like his commentary.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad-2-3 View Post
None

I think that one was aimed at Poulter who tweeted something in response to one of Johnny's critiques of his ball striking. Basically Poulter said Johnny is full of "bullocks" which I believe is English speak for bullsh!t.

A minor correction but you're close - the word is "bollocks". It's a word I haven't spoken since school in England in the 60s, good to hear it's alive and well. 'The meaning is exactly as you stated.

Miller doesn't mind taking some risks with his commentary, I'm sure he knows that not everyone always appreciates everything he says.  But I can put up with the odd gaff if on the whole he's providing valuable insight or interesting anecdotes, which I think he generally does.  I like the way he talks about the psychological aspects of what's happening out there as well as the technical aspects.   Golf is such a psych game and imo this is an important part of good commentary.  But to do it right you need to have been-there-done-that, which is true of Miller and Faldo both.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I met Johnny on the tee box at #17 at the Honda Classic last Friday.  He was incognito and walked up for a quick look.  I talked to him for a minute or two and he couldn't have been nicer.  I mentioned that I appreciated his style (by not pandering to the pros) and he told me that he is just trying to be honest.  He shook my hand and sped away in his NBC golf cart.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think it would be much more valuable for the listeners to hear what the best players in the world are doing that make them so good.  not some ex-pro who thinks he knows more than all of these players and their coaches who has to point out every little thing he thinks is wrong.  have you heard some of the things he has said involving the golf swing and golf mechanics...he is wrong a lot, he says a lot of dumb stuff, and he is just plain negative most of the time.

and sure its good to point out why a bad shot happended or what a player is doing wrong from time to time...but the way he almost gets excited to point out that he knows why this or that happens.  when rory sabbatini flubbed the chip the other day and jack nicklaus was in the booth, johnny kept talking over nicklaus to point out that rory had "deceled" on it and that every tour pro has a problem with hitting balls from the rough on the top of the clubface because they put the sole down too far at address.  i think i have heard him say that a couple other times before as well.  so he just has to cut off nicklaus to give his negative opinion because he caught a tour pro hitting a bad shot?

i have said it before and ill say it again, frank nobilo deserves a position as a lead analyst on some channel because he is the only guy i hear give accurate constructive critisism when nessecary and has on over all positive point of view.  He also does a good job giving value to the listeners at home from what the best players in the world are doing.

and i prefer michael breed's more positive approach when he is on a telecast...he is the exact oposite tho...he points out the good in everybodys swings.  he said on his show that luke donald had one of his favorite swings on tour and was showing his driver swing... isnt LD pretty weak with his driver?

I'm somewhere in between. No instruction at all would be preferable (I don't need it or care for it). I like Johnny, but he really does need to get over himself. When he started another "I'm so awesome" anecdote while Rory was lining up his winning putt, I was disappointed.

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

I think it would be much more valuable for the listeners to hear what the best players in the world are doing that make them so good.  not some ex-pro who thinks he knows more than all of these players and their coaches who has to point out every little thing he thinks is wrong.  have you heard some of the things he has said involving the golf swing and golf mechanics...he is wrong a lot, he says a lot of dumb stuff, and he is just plain negative most of the time.

and sure its good to point out why a bad shot happended or what a player is doing wrong from time to time...but the way he almost gets excited to point out that he knows why this or that happens.  when rory sabbatini flubbed the chip the other day and jack nicklaus was in the booth, johnny kept talking over nicklaus to point out that rory had "deceled" on it and that every tour pro has a problem with hitting balls from the rough on the top of the clubface because they put the sole down too far at address.  i think i have heard him say that a couple other times before as well.  so he just has to cut off nicklaus to give his negative opinion because he caught a tour pro hitting a bad shot?

i have said it before and ill say it again, frank nobilo deserves a position as a lead analyst on some channel because he is the only guy i hear give accurate constructive critisism when nessecary and has on over all positive point of view.  He also does a good job giving value to the listeners at home from what the best players in the world are doing.

and i prefer michael breed's more positive approach when he is on a telecast...he is the exact oposite tho...he points out the good in everybodys swings.  he said on his show that luke donald had one of his favorite swings on tour and was showing his driver swing... isnt LD pretty weak with his driver?

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!