IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Yeah, well youre the only one.  The rest of us think he's an idiot.

Six out of ten think he's either OK or the best announcer in the game.

Your comment makes me wonder if you're really a 20, or if you're actually a 36 with horrible math skills.

Occam's razor

Johnny Miller is great. I can understand how some players don't like him, but viewers should appreciate his honesty.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumbo Debt

I love this guy as a commentator.

Yeah, well youre the only one.  The rest of us think he's an idiot.

Ummm... speak for yourself - don't try to include me in your blanket statement.  Johnny Miller is one of the 2 best color guys in golf.  Feherty will often say almost the same things as Johnny does, but because he phrases it as a joke, everybody laughs it off.  It's a real talent to be able to twist criticism into a joke and make it work, and Johnny doesn't happen to have that ability.  He just says what he sees and what he thinks and doesn't really worry about whether it endears him to a player.

Everyone got all upset about his comments about Poulter the other day.... man, I was ready to throw a shoe at the TV by the time he actually got around to hitting the ball a couple of times.  And after taking forever to make the stroke, he still hit a bad shot, so he deserved to be castigated for it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm guessing you prefer the entertainment aspect of golf commentating to the game of golf itself because comparing Feherty's opinions, which I happen to like, to Miller's is like comparing Jack to your club pro. Feherty's was at his career best a 'B' player on the Euro Tour, whereas Miller was a major tournament winner on the U.S. PGA Tour. I don't really care about Miller's personality, which a lot of people take exception to. The same people like to bash Ben Hogan... Personally I could care less about any pro golfer's personality. I'm a golf fan, period. And when it comes to golf I prefer Miller's comments to any other commentator's because I always learn something about the game when I listen to him. One thing I'll say about Miller, he's never bashed the President of the United States. I can't say that much for that little landed immigrant Northern Irishman by the way...

look up wayne defrancesco on youtube or his website.... explains pretty well how bad miller is at understanding how the swing works.

plus he's annoying.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jumbo Debt

Feherty's was at his career best a 'B' player on the Euro Tour

'B' Players don't make the Ryder Cup.

Originally Posted by Jumbo Debt

I'm a golf fan, period. And when it comes to golf I prefer Miller's comments to any other commentator's because I always learn something about the game when I listen to him. One thing I'll say about Miller, he's never bashed the President of the United States.

Ability to play the game is not a great indicator for the ability to understand it or teach it. Johnny proves that time and time again.

Case in point? Here: https://www.facebook.com/v/10151332317949303 (I could have sworn it was on YouTube, but oh well).

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS3gg3J2nJ0 .

All that said, when Johnny isn't talking about the golf swing OR ball flight stuff, I like him. He's critical of strategy, etc. and I like that. He's better than just about any other announcer, and I'm only hedging because I may not be thinking of someone else - he might be the best. So long as he avoids those two things... :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No need to hate just because you can't dial in a fade while the ball is on the club

Originally Posted by iacas

Ability to play the game is not a great indicator for the ability to understand it or teach it. Johnny proves that time and time again.

Case in point? Here: https://www.facebook.com/v/10151332317949303 (I could have sworn it was on YouTube, but oh well).

All that said, when Johnny isn't talking about the golf swing OR ball flight stuff, I like him. He's critical of strategy, etc. and I like that. He's better than just about any other announcer, and I'm only hedging because I may not be thinking of someone else - he might be the best. So long as he avoids those two things... :)

He had another one of those moments last weekend.  During a slow motion close up of Dustin Johnson's wayward drive on 13 on Monday (where it was pretty obvious that he caught it on the toe, the club face snapped open, and the gear effect hooked it into the trees left) Johnny opined that he "didn't close the face fast enough."

If I never hear him say "trap draw" or "chunk and run" again I'd be happy.  His little made up catch phrases bug me.

That said, I do appreciate his honestly and overall ability as an announcer.  Other than those over-used phrases, he doesn't bother me at all.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

He had another one of those moments last weekend.  During a slow motion close up of Dustin Johnson's wayward drive on 13 on Monday (where it was pretty obvious that he caught it on the toe, the club face snapped open, and the gear effect hooked it into the trees left) Johnny opined that he "didn't close the face fast enough."

If I never hear him say "trap draw" or "chunk and run" again I'd be happy.  His little made up catch phrases bug me.

That said, I do appreciate his honestly and overall ability as an announcer.  Other than those over-used phrases, he doesn't bother me at all.

A lot of peculiar listening here.  What Johnny actually said was that it appeared that DJ knew that he had over hooked the ball and he was trying to "unhook" the shot after it was too late by turning the face open, which is exactly what it looked like to my untutored eye too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

People will often hear what they want to hear. Personally, I am always interested in what great golfers have to say, especially when they are willing to actually state an opinion.  Miller and Faldo are great.  How boring golf telecasts would be without them (think Golf Channel coverage on the weekdays).

Originally Posted by Fourputt

A lot of peculiar listening here.  What Johnny actually said was that it appeared that DJ knew that he had over hooked the ball and he was trying to "unhook" the shot after it was too late by turning the face open, which is exactly what it looked like to my untutored eye too.

My apologies ... I mis-remembered the quote (close instead of open) however, that doesn't sound any less ridiculous to me.  It's very similar to suggesting that Tiger Woods "dials in his fade" while the ball is on the clubface.

Either way, like I said ... overall I'm not a hater, I'm a fan.  He's entertaining.  It also keeps you on your toes while watching.  Sort of a golfing version of the last page of a "Highlights" magazine in the pediatricians waiting room.  "What's wrong with this picture?"  (only verbally)  I hear stuff like that, know from the stuff I've learned over the past year (mostly through TST) that he's wrong and feel quite happy about it.  Also happens quite frequently with Brandel.  Another favorite of mine is Brian Moog who does the little commercials on TGC every once in awhile, where he gives you tips on things like "How to hit chips with topspin."  (Incidentally, just learned yesterday that he is Bart Bryant's swing coach)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Fourputt

That's what he said, yes, but it isn't possible. It was a gear effect hook. He toed it, that flipped the face open and added draw tilt to the spin axis (i.e. it made the ball hook).

I'm a Johnny Miller fan too. I just wish he should either avoid swing analysis/ball flight stuff or read up on them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You have to admire a guy that can evoke such strong emotions in people, both for and against. Plain vanilla seldom gets any emotion out of anyone.

I think the guy's filter has been removed, but that at least makes him interesting to listen to.  Even when I don't like what he has to say, I listen to see how whacky his next statement is.  His Poulter comments on Sunday made me laugh out loud, if only because he had the guts to say what all else were thinking.  Can't knock him for that can ya?

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

Put me in the camp that enjoys listening to Miller, though he says some things that demonstrate a poor knowledge of physics.  90% of golf commentary is stating completely obvious things:  "he's got 172 here, looks like he's pulled a 7 iron...."  Not complicated stuff.  Miller says things that make you laugh, talk back to the TV, and text your buddies (or post on TST) about.  He makes golf more interesting to watch.

Feherty is freaking awesome.  How many people in the history of golf broadcasting could carry a talk show that people who don't even like golf (my wife, for one) will enjoy watching?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Feherty...

His over-the-top American patriot routine get's to me. He was a supporter of the British control of Northern Ireland over there and he's sticking with the same 'power gang' over here sucking up to the Republicans every chance he gets.  On a human and/or political level I hate him but he's a real good golf commentator so I like to hear what he says on ther air when it pertains to golf, and only when it pertains to golf. I'd just like to see him have a little more gratitude towards Ireland and that culture that gave him his gift of the gab in the first place. As for his politics in America it just shows me his love of money and fear of not having it takes over his obvious above average intelligence.

As for Johnny Miller he's just golf all the way, as was Ben Hogan. A lot of people don't like the Hogans and Millers of this world. Way back when, people hated one Jack Nicklaus for exactly the same reason.

Whatever gets you through the day...

Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!