IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Originally Posted by Jumbo Debt

Feherty...

His over-the-top American patriot routine get's to me. He was a supporter of the British control of Northern Ireland over there and he's sticking with the same 'power gang' over here sucking up to the Republicans every chance he gets.  On a human and/or political level I hate him but he's a real good golf commentator so I like to hear what he says on ther air when it pertains to golf, and only when it pertains to golf. I'd just like to see him have a little more gratitude towards Ireland and that culture that gave him his gift of the gab in the first place. As for his politics in America it just shows me his love of money and fear of not having it takes over his obvious above average intelligence.

As for Johnny Miller he's just golf all the way, as was Ben Hogan. A lot of people don't like the Hogans and Millers of this world. Way back when, people hated one Jack Nicklaus for exactly the same reason.

Whatever gets you through the day...

Why not start your own thread with your Feherty rant. And maybe read up a little about his life, and what he has gone through.

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

A lot of peculiar listening here.  What Johnny actually said was that it appeared that DJ knew that he had over hooked the ball and he was trying to "unhook" the shot after it was too late by turning the face open, which is exactly what it looked like to my untutored eye too.

That's what he said, yes, but it isn't possible. It was a gear effect hook. He toed it, that flipped the face open and added draw tilt to the spin axis (i.e. it made the ball hook).

I'm a Johnny Miller fan too. I just wish he should either avoid swing analysis/ball flight stuff or read up on them.

I'm aware of that.  I'm sure that DJ is too, but it's an almost unavoidable natural reaction when you feel something in your downswing is wrong.  Your subconscious takes over and tries to make a correction, usually too late and it rarely has any positive effect.  That is what I seemed to see (and apparently Miller saw it like that too) in the replay of DJ's swing on that shot - his reactive attempt at a correction to something he felt in the downswing was too little, too late, and simply caused him to hit it on the toe, not straighten out the shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

No 'B' players at the Ryder Cup... Then what was Boo Weekley doing there a couple o' years ago?

He played well, was in the top 25 in the OWGR, and qualified for the Ryder Cup, going 2-0-1 in a rare (of late) U.S. victory. Your point again?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Boo has played some good golf although not of late. He is a PGA Tour pro in the top 125 or so but HE'S NO JOHNNY MILLER.

Nobody said he was.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the commentating department David Feherty was compared to Johnny Miller. I objected saying Feherty was generally speaking a 'B' player on the Euro Tour. You said no 'B' players went to the Ryder Cup. I said they did, using Boo as an example. Bottom line, Johnny Miller knows what he's talking about. And actually I do like Feherty's comments. I think he knows the game. I also really like Gary Koch. And I think Judy Rankin is one of the best. But back to business, I love to learn things about the golf swing and golf game strategy. I think nobody in the commentating business does more than Johnny Miller in the way he studies the course where the tournament is being played right down to all the breaks on all the greens. No one is more informative. At the other end of the spectrum from Johnny Miller are the British commentators who sound like they're commentating a dog race. And it's a real long dog race with a lot of dead air. There is an American who does comment from time to time on those Euro tournaments on the golf channel and I thank God he's there when he is because otherwise it's like wtching grass grow a lot of the time.

We've all been through a lot...

Exactly, I'm crying no tears for Feherty. He's a big boy.

Bill M

When Johnny Miller talks about pressure of his playing career and how players today handle it I like what Johnny Miller has to say a lot. When he talks about how Tiger Woods hit a cut by moving the face at impact I do not like what he has to say at all.

Have I insulted you?

Feherty was compared to Johnny Miller. I responded saying Feherty wasn't in the same class as an expert on the game as Miller is. I later added some stuff about Feherty's character because frankly some of his statements away from golf insulted me. I only meant to point out Johnny Miller never allowed himself to be that kind of a jerk even though some people take exception to his conclusions pertaining to the game of golf and some of the pros playing it. What's more Feherty never apologised for his un-patriotic statements.

• Administrator

This thread is not about David Feherty. Such comments are OT.

Johnny Miller is having a bit of "bromance" with Russell Henly today. There was some great golf, but I was amused by the giddy tone of his comments today.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Old1964

Johnny Miller is having a bit of "bromance" with Russell Henly today. There was some great golf, but I was amused by the giddy tone of his comments today.

Miller is right about the kid. And it's not like he just popped in out of nowhere. It was his third win in his last 5 starts and he is now in the top 50 of the World Rankings. Miller recognizes potential when he sees it.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!