IGNORED

Any of you ever had a chance to play a Pro course?

mikelegacy
Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering if any of you have played any TPC courses, or courses where there have been Tour events?

I work at an Ad Agency, and apparently the owner is a member of Oakmont, and sometimes he gives away a round with him and 3 others during a raffle at Christmas time.

I know where ALL of my tickets will be going.

That would be amazing. I think I would be intimidated to play a course like that.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

A buddy's grandpa has a membership at the TPC Michigan... I am yet to traverse that illustrious beast.

Looks like you are about to become best friend's with this dude's grandpa. haha

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

Looks like you are about to become best friend's with this dude's grandpa. haha

I've begged him multiple times, but he goes to school on the other side of the state and works crappy hours, so I'm always working when he goes.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• Administrator

I've played several, including the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island which we just played a week ago today (our tee time was right now, 11am, in fact).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure.  Back when I traveled a lot I played Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, Mission Hills (LPGA), PGA West Stadium and Palmer Courses, TPC The Woodlands ,, Grayhawk, Troon North, La Quinta, La Cantera , Cog Hill, and Doral.  Since all of this took place in 2001 or earlier there may be more, but for now that's all that I have.  Since I was out of the game from 2001 to 2011 I'm working my way back toward being good enough to play that type of course again, at least without embarassing myself too much.

When I was at the University of Kentucky, my friend Becky's dad was a member at Valhalla and I was privileged enough to play there.  I felt incredibly intimidated for many reasons.  lol

My home course hosted a Nike Tour event in the 1990s. Does that count as a "pro" course?

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Sure, several. The thing to realize is that even though it's a course that the pros play, the setup for them is COMPLETELY different. Case in point... I've played the TPC at Sawgrass twice. I shot 81 and 76 on the "same" course that is recognized as being one of the most challenging on tour. Believe me, me and my little 5.8 index aren't anywhere near good enough to do that the way it's set up for the boys. What is fun though, is to watch the tournament each year and remember what I did on each hole. I actually marked my yardage books with each shot just so I could do that.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I played Chambers Bay, where the US Open will be in 2015. Although they are currently doing heavy renovation to the course to make it to the USGA's liking. And I played it prior to that. It ate me alive.

Yeah...

I play SilverRock and Classic Club regularly and both were part of the rotation at the Bob Hope Classic (now Humana Challenge). I've also play Terra Lago (formerly Landmark, The Golf Club at La Quinta (formerly Trilogy) and Indian Wells Golf Resort, all of which hosted the Skins Game. Finally, I've played the Jack Nicklaus Tournament Course and will soon be playing the TPC Stadium Course (both at PGA West) which host the last round of Q School every year.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Notable ones I can recall....

Firestone in Akron several times.

Inverness in Toledo

Bethpage Black   (had someone set up a camper and had to BUY a tee time)

I also played the "Bear"  course or whatever it's called by Kings Island.... the day after a Senior's championship was there,  same tee's and pin placements.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order: In America: - TPC Southwind (once played the Monday after the tournament....it was setup quite a bit more difficult than usual. I've played there a bunch) - TPC Sawgrass - TPC Las Vegas - PGA West - The Plantation Course, Kapalua - Don't think they play there anymore. (Note: During the week, the used to have a game every day called 'The Game'. Sign up by 10 A.M. and play 4 groups of 4.....great gambling game. They recommend players be a 12 HC or better to play. Do it if you go there) - Bay Hill (Note: First time I ever had a caddy was at BH. They used to have a 9 hole shoot out every afternoon that AP played in if he was there. Caddy got me in. Didn't play in the same group with AP, but 'hung out' with him while everyone settled up after the shoot out. I think you have to stay at the lodge to play in it.) - Colonial in Memphis. No event there anymore (moved to Southwind) but Geiberger shot 59 back in the day - The Disney World course that used to host an event - Doral (Blue Monster) Seems like I'm leaving some out. I've played several courses that host LPGA and Champion's Tour events as well. Scotland - St. Andrews (Played The Old Course and the other course there) - Carnoustie - Turnberry - Muirfield - Troon - Prestwick (Nothing held there anymore, but I think the first Open was held there or something. It was the dumpiest of the courses we played in Scotland. Caddies were complete sketch balls) Went to Scotland for almost a month with 15 other guys. Perry Golf did a great job.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

The only "pro" courses I've played were on the LPGA and Champions circuits.

Capitol Hill - The Senator - LPGA Tour

TPC of Tampa Bay - Champions Tour

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I played the Doral Blue Monster this past Easter. It was my first round in about 2 years. Wish I could play it again now since I have been playing and practicing a lot since then and probably would appreciate it a bit more now.

Few years back when the pros played the Western Open in Chicagoland and most pros motored the next day to eastern Iowa and played in the Amana Open on the Univ of Iowa course I was a caddy for that tourney, a one day event. So soon after that the caddies played the course. I have played it many times. Nice course but probably out of date now for the pro circuit. Gary Player won, in black shirt and pants, and being only a youth i wondered 'who is that short guy'.

I have played Sawgrass and Pebble Beach, plus several courses where pro events were held or are planned. I was not playing them under tournament conditions. Don't be intimidated, they usually up the green speeds and grow the rough for tournaments. I don't know how big a part of the decision process it is but locker room and clubhouse size, parking, room for hospitality tents etc are considered when choosing courses for tournaments

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!