IGNORED

How mad do you get?

jshots
Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have only been playing golf for a few months now and am just having lots of fun playing. I know the longer I play the more critical I will become of my game. I hope I never get to throwing clubs though.

I generally keep my cool pretty well on the course. I'll drop a club in my backswing after a bad block or really fat shot, and when I leave a put short I'll give myself a David Feherty "Oh, Gladys..." but that's about it. I pitched in high school and college, and one thing I learned was how to move on from a crappy result to the next pitch (shot). The only time I really get irritated is when I make the same mistake on two or three straight shots. Then you may hear an f bomb before I'm able to move on.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I dont ever get mad.  I play golf for fun, not for a living, so whats there to get all mad about?  If I hit a bad shot, so what?  Who cares?  Just load up another ball and try again.

I have a lot of friends who think just like you. My thing is that "fun" to me is working hard and seeing the results in the form of a good round. I certainly don't take myself to seriously or think I am going pro or anything, but I want to be the best I can be so when I'm not I get a little peeved. As I've said in previous posts though I control myself now but only so it won't impact the rest of my round not because I think its bad to get mad. Sometimes it feels good to let out a big yell (so long as its clean although I cuss like a sailor). Then let it go and move on. But that's just me. Everyone has a different way of going about it.

I do my best not to get mad. I suck, of course I'm not going to hit it perfect every time. There have been a couple really frustrating days that it all just went to crap but I'm outside playing golf, instead of working or sitting on the couch. Life's not that bad.

Originally Posted by Goat Green

I play Golf to escape from the stress and frustrations of life. I get mad for a few seconds when I hit a bad shot, but then I look forward to getting to try a more challenging shot, because of my bad shot.

The hard part for me is getting the stress of regular life out of my head, so that I can loosen up and take a good, relaxed swing.

Thank you.....

I play to reduce stress in my life.  I amazes me  to watch people pay to play a sport,  get mad, and increase their stress levels.   To me, that just like giving someone a $50 bill to take a few  years off your life expectancy. If I am going to pay to reduce my life span there are a lot more fun way of doing that than becoming grumpy because a wayward ball.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

So far...Ive broken 2 3woods. A PW. Bent the hell out of a putter and thrown one iron (cant remember which one) into a heavily wooded area. But other than that im pretty calm. No joke.

Equipment

Driver - 09' Taylormade Burner

3 wood - Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13 degrees

18 degree Adams Idea

3-PW Callaway X-18's

Putter - Orlimar Tourizmo #2

The worst thing I've ever done was swear at a shot, but I never get angry.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

I have always played competitively and in school golf tournaments where you can get into some serious trouble for throwing clubs.  Now that I no longer play for a school though I might get made enough once every two or three months to throw a club.  My way of thinking though is that I payed way too much for this stuff to be chucking it around the golf course.  I once played with a guy though that threw his whole bag, clubs and all into the closest pond, got in his car and went home.  I ended up being the nice guy and fished them out and took them back to him.  I just don't see the point in getting that pissed off while playing a game.

Driver: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 9.5*

Woods: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 15*

Hybrid: CALLAWAY Diablo Edge 21*

Irons: CLEVELAND TA7 3-PW

Wedges: CLEVELAND 588 51*, 56*, and (60* on standby)

Putter: ODYSSEY DFX 1100 mallet

Bag: NIKE Performance Carry (Lime green/Grey)

Ball: NIKE One Tour D

Originally Posted by fireman1153

I have always played competitively and in school golf tournaments where you can get into some serious trouble for throwing clubs.  Now that I no longer play for a school though I might get made enough once every two or three months to throw a club.  My way of thinking though is that I payed way too much for this stuff to be chucking it around the golf course.  I once played with a guy though that threw his whole bag, clubs and all into the closest pond, got in his car and went home.  I ended up being the nice guy and fished them out and took them back to him.  I just don't see the point in getting that pissed off while playing a game.

I too have seen a huge dummy spit only difference was after he threw them in the water he had to dive in after to get them back as his car keys and wallet were in it .Rolling on the ground laughing at him didn't help his anger management either. Still breaks me up when I think of it.

Originally Posted by Snakey

I too have seen a huge dummy spit only difference was after he threw them in the water he had to dive in after to get them back as his car keys and wallet were in it .Rolling on the ground laughing at him didn't help his anger management either. Still breaks me up when I think of it.

LOL.  Sounds to me like he obviously wasn't thinking on that one.  I don't think I could ever bring myself to swamp my clubs!

For me there is a range.

Bad shot(i.e. slice in the rough or water hazard) usually entails a profanity and re-tee mulligan(for water).

Wasted shot- the worst, I hate when I need to chip on to the green and instead the ball only moves a few yards close but stays in the rough, I usually sigh and shake my head here in disappointment.

Chip shot that rolls to much- I hate this, the only shot I will swear and get visibly frustrated I wanted to get on the green and hopefully one-putt, now I'll be lucky to chip close and then make a two-putt

By far the most infuriating is the yips- Missing a 2 foot or less put because of brake, spin around the cup etc. This is the only thing that really makes me mad, especially if it was for par or something .

The game is frustrating, but damn fun when you hit that perfect layup shot on the green from the rough and can putt it in for a decent score.

I create a new string of filthy words ran together in a sequence that would make sense only to a sailor and then I move on.

I pay entirely too much money for gear and green fees to let a bad shot ruin my day. I try to take the same mentality whether golfing, trap shooting, tournament fishing or whatever. I get less heart burn and enjoy what I'm doing more.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Bad shots are gonna happen for us high and mid handicappers. The 2 things that upset me are really well struck approach shots that are just a few yards off line and and in a hazard instead of the green, and flubbed chips where you chunk or skull it from close distance. Frustrating!! Causes the odd f bomb, but never a club throwing incident. Clubs cost too much.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

When I play golf with strangers, they never know when I play poorly because I keep my cool.  At the very most, I may laugh at a terrible shot and say something like......"Oh, that's a good one!!"  after hitting a bad one.  I can go out and shoot in the 80s, and they'll congratulate me on my good round as we finish.  I just shake hands and thank them for the kind words even though I completely butchered the round by my standards.

That's funny cause I seem to have the same thing happen when  I play with strangers and I thin an approach and get mad even though it is usually on the correct line it's not the type of shot I want to be a part of my game, I usually just shrug it off and they sorta get what the expectations are.

Originally Posted by fireman1153

I remember one time in Vegas a buddy of ours lost his match on the final hole when he missed a really short putt, he threw the putter in the pond nearby and the shaft of the club was sticking out of the water in the middle had to be only one foot of water. The funny part was watching him walk out there like jesus cussing like a pirate getting his putter back.

I tell my skunk head cover Stinkygirl what a nasty little sleezy girl she is, and how she doesn't deserve the country club, she should be selling her services on the corner at a muni.  Friends seem to get a kick out of it and often times join in.

A guy that I typically play with on Sundays threw his Ping lob wedge in the woods yesterday and slammed the toe of his iron into the fringe of 2 different greens, facing the toe down and digging the entire face into the fringe. That, plus multiple driver-ground-smashes, I'm pretty sure I'm done golfing with the dude now. So not only did I go get his wedge out of the woods for him, but I also fixed two massive digs into two greens for the guy and didn't even speak to him the remainder of the round. I told him he was an idiot and I just wanted to get the round done as soon as possible because I wanted to hit the idiot so bad.

I like to have fun and the occasional cuss and club slam doesn't bother me. But if it happens repeatedly, on every other shot, I'm not going back out with you. The problem is, finding a dedicated group of people to golf with and set up a "routine" with is virtually impossible and I have not been able to do so for 2 years now. The people I've met through the courses that I've played with are just way too damn aggravating to be around so I'm basically limited to one of my best buds and my dad at this point.

Originally Posted by Spyder

A guy that I typically play with on Sundays threw his Ping lob wedge in the woods yesterday and slammed the toe of his iron into the fringe of 2 different greens, facing the toe down and digging the entire face into the fringe. That, plus multiple driver-ground-smashes, I'm pretty sure I'm done golfing with the dude now. So not only did I go get his wedge out of the woods for him, but I also fixed two massive digs into two greens for the guy and didn't even speak to him the remainder of the round. I told him he was an idiot and I just wanted to get the round done as soon as possible because I wanted to hit the idiot so bad.

I like to have fun and the occasional cuss and club slam doesn't bother me. But if it happens repeatedly, on every other shot, I'm not going back out with you. The problem is, finding a dedicated group of people to golf with and set up a "routine" with is virtually impossible and I have not been able to do so for 2 years now. The people I've met through the courses that I've played with are just way too damn aggravating to be around so I'm basically limited to one of my best buds and my dad at this point.

I hear ya!  There is pretty much one other guy I play golf with and he is also on this site.  If I was closer to family it would be different but being military and partially out on my own, it is hard to find people you can golf with and still have a good time.

Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!