IGNORED

Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?

iacas

That actually looks like a lot of fun.

I really should try it one of these days.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That actually looks like a lot of fun.

I really should try it one of these days.

It was a blast and it gives me something to do while I am not able to golf.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator

It was a blast and it gives me something to do while I am not able to golf.

Looks like you had a good time.

I talked to you a bit online but basically:

• Your forehand wobbles quite a bit, and can be cleaned up. Mine sucks too but that's why I almost never throw FH.
  • Your backhand will be better when you stop strong-arming it. Use more of the "linear" stuff and let the disc rip from your hands rather than trying to throw it.

The latter is kind of like "the release" in the golf swing. Both "holding the lag" intentionally and also "trying to release" result in bad things. The best you can do is sequence things properly and let the lag (or disc) just "come out" on its own.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Looks like you had a good time.

I talked to you a bit online but basically:

Your forehand wobbles quite a bit, and can be cleaned up. Mine sucks too but that's why I almost never throw FH.

Your backhand will be better when you stop strong-arming it. Use more of the "linear" stuff and let the disc rip from your hands rather than trying to throw it.

The latter is kind of like "the release" in the golf swing. Both "holding the lag" intentionally and also "trying to release" result in bad things. The best you can do is sequence things properly and let the lag (or disc) just "come out" on its own.

Sounds good thanks!  I will keep working on it.  It can only get better from here...I hope.  I will play every morning I can for now.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

"Frisbee Golf" is a great game.

I was a sophomore at La Canada High School when the first Disc Golf course was created across the street from the school at Oak Grove Park.  That was 1974.  I played a ton of Disc Golf for the next few years.

Prior to the course setup with fixed poles we had played there using drinking faucets, trees, etc as our targets..  The layout came largely from what we had already been doing.  Later they came up with the chains and the baskets which was really cool.  Prior to that you just had to hit the pole.  In those days it wasn't 'Disc Golf' it was called 'Frisbee Golf'.

It's a great course and to me is what a Disc Golf course should look like.  It needs lots of obstacles that require a lot of creative shots, including the roll shot, to be a good course

Here's a video I just found of the course, sorry about the special effects.

I picked up disc golf a couple of summers ago after giving the course up at Rutgers a go for the first time. It can be tough keeping the driver from banking off to the left. After some trial and error I mostly use this off the tee http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/mid-range-discs/speed-4/wolf.html . I can always throw it pretty straight and still get some good distance.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I love disc golf but all the courses in my area have shut down due to insurance costs. Part of what I like about it is that unless your are serious who cares about technique. I liked to use one disc on everything (the equivalent of a 7 iron). We would often have to throw the disc sideways to get through trees.

I love disc golf but all the courses in my area have shut down due to insurance costs. Part of what I like about it is that unless your are serious who cares about technique. I liked to use one disc on everything (the equivalent of a 7 iron). We would often have to throw the disc sideways to get through trees.

Never heard of anything like this. Were too many people getting hit by errant disks? All the courses around me are at parks or schools, I would think a sign that says play at your own risk would be enough.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Never heard of anything like this. Were too many people getting hit by errant disks? All the courses around me are at parks or schools, I would think a sign that says play at your own risk would be enough.

Out on the west coast a lot of the disc golf courses are through woods so you are often climbing a small rock cliff or trying to get down a 40 foot muddy bank so it wasn't exactly safe (but it was hugely fun). I think in one case the municipality was also worried about 100s of people trampling cedar tree roots which would eventually stress out the trees. In another case the course by the university was a popular place to let dogs off the leash and the dog owners won the battle.

Edit: Cedar trees have shallow root systems (maybe 3 feet deep?) so when the roots go bad I imagine it is more likely for the tree to fall over in a wind storm and hence an insurance risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry wrong thread.

Nate

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

So smooth and simple. Right @cipher?

• Administrator

• 1 month later...
On November 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM, iacas said:

So smooth and simple. Right @cipher?

Good stuff!

I love the line on this throw.  So fun to watch.

Nate

• 1 month later...

I thought this was interesting:

Nate