IGNORED

How to deal with slow play ?(I might quit)

broombroom
Note: This thread is 4127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by eich41

One other related note, I can't believe how many people don't know the proper way to let someone play through.  More often than not, when I've played through on a course, the group ahead of me waits at the next tee box, without teeing off.  Then they let me tee off, then wait for me to clear before hitting their tee shots.  Obviously when allowing someone to play through this way it takes a bit of time.  The correct way is to tee off while I finish out the previous hole, let me tee off then we all go to our second shots at the same time, at which the group playing through moves ahead while the slower group locates tee shots and selects clubs.  Much faster than the way most people seem to handle it.

What you leave out of that second scenario is that the first group then still has to wait for the second group to get up to where their second shots ended up, hit those balls (or putt out if, as is most likely, they’re on a par 4), and clear. You also leave out the fact that the group playing through *also* has to locate their tee shots and select clubs, just as the other group does. So... I’ve been thinking about it and I don’t really see a difference in the two scenarios you describe.  Let’s take a look:

In the first one, group A waits for group B to hit their tee shots, waits for group B to walk up to their balls, and waits for group B to hit their second shots and clear the fairway.

In the second one, group A still has to wait for group B to hit their tee shots, still (after both groups walk up to their balls) has to wait for group B to hit their second shots, still has to wait for them to walk up to their balls (after hitting their second shots), but then has to *additionally* wait as they putt out and clear the green if a par 4, or hit their 3 rd shots and clear the fairway if it’s a par 5.

The only difference between the 2 scenarios is that in the first one, group A waits on the tee box while group B putts out behind them, whereas in the second one, group A waits in the fairway while group B putts out in front of them.  Since that’s a wash, I’d prefer to wait on the tee box where I can socialize with my playing partners, as opposed to being scattered in the fairway waiting to hit our second shots.

Bill

kind of a tough one...i try and play at courses where I know it won't be nuts and chock a block full of people...but hard to make a call when you are already a member there.  I don't envy you one bit but perhaps bringing it up at a club meeting might help - there may be others who feel the way you do?

Originally Posted by broombroom

Ok lately slow play and bad etiquette has been making me angry and depressed at my once great golf club to the point I may not pay to be a member any more.  People are so ignorant and arrogant, they never ring bells to let you know its safe to hit on blind shots even though they see us on the tee box.  The worst thing is I can never practice by myself or play golf with my friend as a two ball.  We/I always get stuck behind a 4 ball of old guys that never let us through.  They hack and hack and time waste so much its unbelievable.  Once I got so mad I shouted fore to get a group that skipped in front of us out of the way to let us hit and of course we get up and it is the pro playing in the four ball saying it was rude etc etc and he would have let us through, yea right, the time was when we were on the tee box with you!. I am just so sick of this and do not know what to do? Today I was stuck behind a 4 ball of old hacking men, with no one in front of them, for the 4th, 5th, 6,th par 3, 7th and 8th when I eventually walked off because they never let me through. What is there to do about this?

Note: This thread is 4127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!