IGNORED

Highschool Golf

teece31
Note: This thread is 6166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many of you guys and gals have played or play highschool golf? Were your teams good? How did you play?

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

I play. We knocked off the number one team in NJ this year, but had a bad season overall. That was the highlight to it...but otherwise we didn't have a good season. We finished 13-6.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

How many of you guys and gals have played or play highschool golf? Were your teams good? How did you play?

Sadly, I didn't play golf in high school. But I did have a class with one of the coaches of my high school's golf team, who suggested back in 10th grade that I should drop out of high school and work at McDonald's, as I'd get better experience there than anything I could hope to amount to with my "education."

I have no idea how good the team was, but I suspect he encouraged them to tee off with their putters, or possibly the ball retrievers.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm on the team at my school. I played this year (as a sophmore) & we did decent. Came in 3rd in our league & only lost 3 matches. Its the best deal though... I got to play for free basically 4 days a week.

When I was in HS (class of 06) we had a very good team for a Public School of less than 700 kids.

When I left we had like 40ish dual meet wins in a row and 2 league titles, and now I think they are at about 60 dual meet wins in a row and 3 league titles.

The team averaged 152ish for 9 hole meets (6play, 4 count) and ~310 for tournaments (play 5, keep 4).

I think our 9hole record was somewhere around 143 on a par 36 course.

In My Bag:
905T 9.5* w/Graffalloy Blue - D8
Maltby Trouble Out 13* 3+-Wood w/ Aldila NV - D4
HALO 1 Hybrid w/S400 Steel - D4
Maltby M-05 Forged 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5 - D4 Vokey Oil Can 52* 56* 588 RTG DSG Bioniks Rl 209 Putter (400 grams) E5+

When I was in school, the golf team was a great way not to get laid. I chose the drinking team instead, and recently regained my amateur status, so I have that going for me. Which is nice.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

I'm on the team at my school. I played this year (as a sophmore) & we did decent. Came in 3rd in our league & only lost 3 matches. Its the best deal though... I got to play for free basically 4 days a week.

Yet another reason I wish I played in HS. Your courses didn't charge you to play, or they sponsored the team, or what?

When I was in school, the golf team was a great way not to get laid. I chose the drinking team instead, and recently regained my amateur status, so I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Yet another example of short-sightedness we all suffered from in HS.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
I played. Averaged 95/85/75 the three years I played, and played the six man, 3 man, and 1 man those years too. We won five consecutive league titles, the first three of which were my first three years (I played soccer as a freshman and only started playing golf the summer before my sophomore year), I won the local stroke-play tournament, and I was first alternate to go to States in 1995, my senior year. Golf was a fall sport here (still is).

Our coach was a total waste, but I was friends with a kid who was always two shots behind me, and we pushed each other and knew each other's swing really well, so we did a good job helping each other stay on top of things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I played all 4 years, although football was my focus. Our team was one of the better 2A teams in the state of Texas. We went to Regionals three years, but never made it to state because every time we went, we always partied too much and were too hung over to score well . But we did have the individual 2A state champion which was pretty cool.

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

yeah my high school team is pretty good we always seem to beat that "public school in Millcreek" but i dunno if I'll make it or ot

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I'm planning on playing for my high school's golf team next year. I have been a basketball player my whole life, and now that it seems like I have a chance to play division 1 basketball, I don't enjoy it anymore. I'm looking forward to playing next year

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

My team got 3rd place at state this year and won it last year, so we definitely had a quality team. (I only say had because Tony and Gipper Finau were on my team and now they both turned pro, so this year is going to be humbling to say the least).
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

I'm currently playing, and we finished our first season almost undeafeated, I played #5, and didn't play perticularly well, but it was fun.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

I was my HS's team's captain..... small public school just west of Boston... GREAT times. lots of team spirit, and it was 9 hole match play, which was a blast and helped get me into the mentality to win a lot of summer stroke play events.

our HS league had a real tight community feel to it, was a blast especially because the emphasis was on fun. i thought D3 college golf was actually less fun.

im trying out next year. but hopefully i make it. Its pretty easy to make though so i should have it in the bag. I have no idea what its like.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

im trying out next year. but hopefully i make it. Its pretty easy to make though so i should have it in the bag. I have no idea what its like.

It's great fun!

You basically get to play golf at a variety of courses every single day after school. Definitely one of the best experiences you can have if you can play golf every day for a couple of months.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

It's great fun!

is it really intimidating and intense? is it competitive at all?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

For the most part High School golf is pretty chill. The state tournament is intimidating but for the most part you get to play golf with people who are just as good as you and have a great time.

- Stuart Appleby

Note: This thread is 6166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!