Jump to content
Golfingdad

My Swing (Golfingdad)

634 posts / 38248 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Ahhh the elusive right pitched elbow. I feel your pain brother. I feel your pain!!

On the right pocket placement comment, go back to the posterior view model in my swing thread, which Mvmac references. And you will see the right pocket goes toward the target on the backswing (right leg straightening)... This is when you are getting extension in the backswing... And then you regain flexion on the downswing. Not sure if Evolvr is working with you on extension in the backswing? Or what? But sounds like they want you to get more extension with a pitched elbow in the backswing which makes sense to me.

PS. It looked like you murdered the ball on that iron shot.

It's going to take awhile to get used to ... you can see in the video that even though I'm in a better position at the top while holding it, as soon as I go into the pump drill, I almost immediately revert back to that flatter turn with the right elbow sticking way out.

No, it's not more extension they want from me.  You can't see it from DTL, but my head starts going towards the target, then in the downswing it starts going back.  Staying in flexion longer should keep my head from going forward ... and thus obviously from having to come back during the downswing.  This is my Key #1 stuff obviously. But what I'm wondering is how the right pocket going towards the target (and thus away from my right foot) will make it easier to stay in flexion longer.  Seems like that would produce the opposite effect.

I will go look through your thread for some info.  Thanks!

P.S.  I tried out that new app yesterday also.  It's pretty cool ... and I think I will really like it once I understand what I'm looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It's going to take awhile to get used to ... you can see in the video that even though I'm in a better position at the top while holding it, as soon as I go into the pump drill, I almost immediately revert back to that flatter turn with the right elbow sticking way out.

Yeah, it looks like your legs/hips are turning on the backswing correctly - but you get way under plane on the back swing sometimes when I see you swing, and looks like your could get more extension with your chest and arms going back and up.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

No, it's not more extension they want from me.  You can't see it from DTL, but my head starts going towards the target, then in the downswing it starts going back.  Staying in flexion longer should keep my head from going forward ... and thus obviously from having to come back during the downswing.  This is my Key #1 stuff obviously.   But what I'm wondering is how the right pocket going towards the target (and thus away from my right foot) will make it easier to stay in flexion longer.  Seems like that would produce the opposite effect.

Sounds like you need to work on the head on the wall drill?  I've been incorporating it into my 'no club' swings when I'm in our bedroom where I have a mirror behind me from the DTL view.  Then I can see my pitched elbow - and ensure that my head stays on the wall the entire backswing and downswing.  It is getting a little better - but I need to now get it down with a club.  That's something I plan on working on tonight - with video.


Originally Posted by Golfingdad

P.S.  I tried out that new app yesterday also.  It's pretty cool ... and I think I will really like it once I understand what I'm looking at.

Which app? I'm confused... GS? Or VLC?  With my new Hero3 camera, I've just been using Windows Live Movie Maker... Which does a decent job of creating the video, and then I can simply watch it frame by frame in Windows Media Player or on Youtube.  But the with 30fps iPhone camera, that is more of a challenge... So VLC was the best way for me to watch 30fps videos and slow them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

... and looks like your could get more extension with your chest and arms going back and up.

Yeah, I had no idea how flat my shoulders and arms were before I started taking videos. :)

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Sounds like you need to work on the head on the wall drill?  I've been incorporating it into my 'no club' swings when I'm in our bedroom where I have a mirror behind me from the DTL view.  Then I can see my pitched elbow - and ensure that my head stays on the wall the entire backswing and downswing.  It is getting a little better - but I need to now get it down with a club.  That's something I plan on working on tonight - with video.

Good idea ... I have been doing the same thing (actually just using my reflection in the window late at night while I catch up on the Walking Dead) for working on the arms and elbow, but not the wall drill to work on the head.  I will incorporate that one too!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Which app? I'm confused... GS? Or VLC?  With my new Hero3 camera, I've just been using Windows Live Movie Maker... Which does a decent job of creating the video, and then I can simply watch it frame by frame in Windows Media Player or on Youtube.  But the with 30fps iPhone camera, that is more of a challenge... So VLC was the best way for me to watch 30fps videos and slow them down.

Golf MTRx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi, Golfydad, How's the i20's going. could you interpret that table a bit more. Are they all 6 irons? amazing difference in numbers there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Originally Posted by logman

Hi, Golfydad, How's the i20's going. could you interpret that table a bit more. Are they all 6 irons? amazing difference in numbers there.

I assume you are talking about this Trackman table?  Yes and no.  The i20 was actually a 7 iron head on a 6 iron length shaft.  The others were all 6 irons.  My old DCI, Adams CMB, Mizuno Mp-59 and 53, then the i20s with the KBS then one other shaft that didn't work out as well.

Oh, and I love them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, sorry, the trackman table.

I'm a bit surprised tho. It looked to me that the mizunos flew a bit higher, with higher spin and had less roll out. they also had a steeper descent angle.

I'll go back and check but didn't the i20 have almost 2000 less revs than the mizunos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the range today practicing the same things ... left shoulder under chin, elbows closer together and left elbow higher ... and I took a few more videos.  I feel like I'm starting to make some progress as I was hitting it pretty good today. Pretty sure I haven't posted anything in here but 6 irons or 7 irons, so here are a couple down the line videos with a driver and a gap wedge.  (Sorry for the dark video - it was pretty gloomy today)  Enjoy ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know how you manage to keep more than one swing thought in your head at one time. If I've got 2 I'll get one thing right but stuff up the other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After my last submission to Evolvr, I realized that I really had not made any progress, so we're still working on the same things here:  Elbows closer together - not left elbow higher like I previously thought, but rather right elbow lower - and also working on some Key #1 stuff trying to get that right hip pocket to go towards the target on the backswing, and keep the head from swaying to and fro.  Anyways, for most of the session I was hitting push cuts ...

It was getting a little annoying so I started experimenting with feeling a flatter backswing and a bowed left wrist ...

The first thing that strikes me about these two swings, they sure don't look nearly as different as they felt.  Other than the ball flight, they look nearly identical to my untrained eye, but I was really feeling funny swinging it.

Anywho ... also took some face on video today...

Good news is that my head isn't moving as much as before, but there's still a lot of work to do there.  Also, looks like maybe I'm getting a little carried away with my head tilt and feet flares??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Thanks for the confirmation of my ineptitude, Erik.

It's also easy to see here just how far off the wall my head comes.  Is my straight right arm a compensation for that head moving away from the ball, to keep me from blading it?  I'm thinking if I change nothing else in those bottom pictures other than bend the right elbow and tuck it into my side, then I'm gonna whiff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Thanks for the confirmation of my ineptitude, Erik.

It's also easy to see here just how far off the wall my head comes.  Is my straight right arm a compensation for that head moving away from the ball, to keep me from blading it?  I'm thinking if I change nothing else in those bottom pictures other than bend the right elbow and tuck it into my side, then I'm gonna whiff.

Lots of players early extend. PGA Tour, everywhere.

I was just adding to the "feel ain't real" library. At your level minor changes in the rate of closure can change a push-draw to a pull-fade, or even minor differences in where the ball strikes the clubface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, no kidding.  It's amazing how different almost no change can feel. :)  Anyways, was looking back through the thread to try and find some positives and saw this ...

Originally Posted by iacas

Over-extension in the backswing makes the head go forward, has to move backwards during the downswing. Rates are off because you're not loading #4 across your chest much.

Yes, they'll get to that in evolvr. :) So that's all I'll say for now. If it's cryptic, it's meant to be a little bit. Just stick with your evolvr plan - things are looking good.

Like you said, I'm certain we'll get to that in Evolvr when it becomes important (if I ever get past my current piece ;)), but just for the sake of knowledge ... what is #4?

Is it my left arm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah, no kidding.  It's amazing how different almost no change can feel. :)  Anyways, was looking back through the thread to try and find some positives and saw this ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Over-extension in the backswing makes the head go forward, has to move backwards during the downswing. Rates are off because you're not loading #4 across your chest much.

Yes, they'll get to that in evolvr. :) So that's all I'll say for now. If it's cryptic, it's meant to be a little bit. Just stick with your evolvr plan - things are looking good.

Like you said, I'm certain we'll get to that in Evolvr when it becomes important (if I ever get past my current piece ;)), but just for the sake of knowledge ... what is #4?

Is it my left arm?

TGM term. Pressure point four I believe is the pressure in the left arm against the left pectoral at the top of your backswing. As a power accumulator, I think it is considered released when the left arm and chest form a 90 degree angle, which I think is achieved right around impact or something.

As far as the head tipping forward and extending too much on the backswing, my swing thread has analysis on that since evolvr just worked on that with me, if you're looking for more information on it. Not sure how much it will pertain to you, but it might not hurt to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lots of players early extend. PGA Tour, everywhere.

I like to call early extension the good players fault. Welcome to the club Golfingdad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

TGM term. Pressure point four I believe is the pressure in the left arm against the left pectoral at the top of your backswing. As a power accumulator, I think it is considered released when the left arm and chest form a 90 degree angle, which I think is achieved right around impact or something.

As far as the head tipping forward and extending too much on the backswing, my swing thread has analysis on that since evolvr just worked on that with me, if you're looking for more information on it. Not sure how much it will pertain to you, but it might not hurt to check.

Thanks Jetfan ... I have been following your thread, but now I will definitely give this a closer look.  I'm also wondering if this is something that might be really hard for me because of flexibility issues.  (Just sitting here at my desk, I can't seem to cross my arm very far in front of my chest while keeping it straight.)

Originally Posted by mchepp

I like to call early extension the good players fault. Welcome to the club Golfingdad

Thanks!  (What I really want to do is join that under 4 handicap club!)  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...