IGNORED

If I were to design and open a range, I would ...

Note: This thread is 4315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Put a very nice car out at the 350 yd mark to give me motivation for hitting that far.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

I saw this a few years ago when there was a contest about who can produce the best golf-related invention. This is fairly compact (compared to a range mat) and all you need to do is rotate it to practice a different lie.

Originally Posted by nevets88

Great idea. Wonder if anyone ever built a contraption for this.

I like the idea of charging by the hour rather than by the bucket. Maybe charge higher for those who want the premium balls instead of the regular Top Flite ones I usually see.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Administrator

And if you can do that, and make a profit charging less than $30/hour or so, I'd like to know what drugs you're pumping through the water fountain...!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You would have to put this range in a seriously high end golf community.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by iacas

And if you can do that, and make a profit charging less than $30/hour or so, I'd like to know what drugs you're pumping through the water fountain...!

Exactly this. The outrageous cost of the OP's idea means that he would have to charge ridiculous per hour or per bucket fees. At standard rates, you would be lucky to break even after 5 years.

If you sell cocaine on the side, you might might make it go.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Exactly this. The outrageous cost of the OP's idea means that he would have to charge ridiculous per hour or per bucket fees. At standard rates, you would be lucky to break even after 5 years.

Pump cocaine through the water fountains.

Win-win-win.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Most definitely. That is why I don't.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I would add the sign CELL PHONES AND SMOKING STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Nothing worse than a yahoo pacing back and forth yelling into his cell phone while you're trying to work on your game. Unless it's the guy who thinks he's Miguel Angel Jimenez puffing on a stogie without regard to the huge cloud he's diseminating to the adjoining booths.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

It would be a "boutique" type range that catered to golfers with more disposable income but in the right area it could work.  Heck there are country clubs that cost $50,000+ a year to play and they manage to find members so why not a range that charges $25-$30 for a large bucket versus the traditional $12.

Some people are willing to pay for higher quality facilities and services, others aren't.  Part of the business plan would be to find an affluent area with enough golfers to make such a range practical.  I'd pay $30/hour to be at a range where I could hit off grass, had access to trackman, quality range balls and didn't have kids running around screaming.

Originally Posted by jshots

You would have to put this range in a seriously high end golf community.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Originally Posted by nevets88

Most definitely. That is why I don't.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It would be a "boutique" type range that catered to golfers with more disposable income but in the right area it could work.  Heck there are country clubs that cost $50,000+ a year to play and they manage to find members so why not a range that charges $25-$30 for a large bucket versus the traditional $12.

Some people are willing to pay for higher quality facilities and services, others aren't.  Part of the business plan would be to find an affluent area with enough golfers to make such a range practical.  I'd pay $30/hour to be at a range where I could hit off grass, had access to trackman, quality range balls and didn't have kids running around screaming.

My guess would be that the land required for such a range in an area catering to golfers with more disposable income would make the concept cost prohibitive. Also, Trackman's cost upwards of $15K - $20K each for outdoor versions. I don't think $30/hour would cut it.....

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Yes, the people such a range would cater to would probably all already belong to an exclusive country club, which probably already has a very nice driving range ... sooo, the market is probably not there.  Too bad, they are fun ideas.

Originally Posted by showtime583

My guess would be that the land required for such a range in an area catering to golfers with more disposable income would make the concept cost prohibitive. Also, Trackman's cost upwards of $15K - $20K each for outdoor versions. I don't think $30/hour would cut it.....

Should the plural for Trackman be Trackmen?

That's possible.  I belong to a country club, but it's closer to my business than my home.  It's not always convenient to drive to the club when I just want to hit a few balls so I end up at the local range.  There would have to be multiple revenue streams to make a profit (club sales, lessons, range ball rental, club rentals, food services) but in the right area it would probably work.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yes, the people such a range would cater to would probably all already belong to an exclusive country club, which probably already has a very nice driving range ... sooo, the market is probably not there.  Too bad, they are fun ideas.

Joe Paradiso

That's possible.  I belong to a country club, but it's closer to my business than my home.  It's not always convenient to drive to the club when I just want to hit a few balls so I end up at the local range.  There would have to be multiple revenue streams to make a profit (club sales, lessons, range ball rental, club rentals, food services) but in the right area it would probably work.

Kind of like bowling alleys?  They cater to us league bowlers weeknights from 6-9, but the rest of the time they do whatever they have to do to make money.  (They certainly don't make that much from us)

Most nights, after 9, its basically a nightclub (with stinky shoes).

Note: This thread is 4315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!