IGNORED

Sizing each other up on the golf course

Goonsidious
Note: This thread is 4289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Sizing players up, does this happen?

• Yes
    • No

It's inevitable, unavoidable, and unstoppable.

Opinions/Comments?

I do it, but not in a smug way. Since I'm still an average golfer the only reason I "judge" and size players up is to see where I'm at in my own golf game and making sure I'm not falling behind in growth and quality.. and that I'm doing things correctly.

But as one that is being sized-up while hitting.. I hate it with a passion. You know people are doing it when you're lining up your shot or teeing off, judgement happens everywhere. It truly messes with my head more than I would like. I'm not an insecure person.

Don't get me started on when a poor shot happens.. [I do know it happens to everyone]

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

People sizing me up doesn't bother me unless they are sizing me up by standing directly behind me on multiple occasions or sizing me up thinking they can offer me pointers. The other week I played with a guy who crushed the ball off the first tee about 60 yards longer than my OK tee shot. I was worried I was going to find myself trying to keep up with his drives. He ended up shanking the next shot off the hosel and then popping one out of bounds on the drop so I found myself relaxing a little.

It happens and I am guilty of it. More so in that I try to avoid the guys that look like they may be obnoxious to play with. I couldn't care less how well or far they hit it. I don't like comments or pointers unless someone is really good and I don't like the person that has to comment on every shot. I don't want to hear good putt when I tap one in from 2 feet. I also don't like the "it's good" guy or the "hit another one" guy. I also try to avoid the guys that walk, I ride, because I usually have to endure the boring commentary about how much better walking is. I ride because that's what time allows. More often than not I had to sneak out of work a bit early to get home with enough time to eat with the fam.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly, I find people sizing themselves up, if that makes any sense.

Basically what i'm trying to say is this.  Let's say Player A and Player  B are playing stroke play against one another.  If Player A gets off to a hot start, say going Birdie, Par, Birdie.  Player B will end up psyching himself out by thinking he needs to play at Player A's level, even when the fact of the matter is, Player A is just playing out of his mind, and this doesn't happen very often at all, but Player B doesn't know that!.  In result, Player B doesn't play his game and ends up going, Bogey, Double B. Par, and now he's down 5 strokes through three holes, whereas if he were to just play his game and not worry about Player A, he could easily be even or one under.

I hope that makes sense.

I size people up for one reason: Do they get it? There is a certain look to a golf swing. Not by chance but because that is the way it works for 95% of golfers. I am not talking about a strong grip or a weak grip, open stance or closed stance but just the general flow. There will always be the Jim Furyks and Tommy Gaines out there and if some one looks like them but PLAYS like them as well then they are the exceptions.

Now, does it matter? Not really but if I get paired up with a group or I am watching the group in front of me go off the first tee and they all look like birds with broken wings then I know I am in for a long day.

When I get paired with someone I haven't played with before I just whip it out on the first tee and just show them that they are inferior to me right off the bat.

• Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I agree with other posts, it's impossible to not size up the other people when you get paired up.  In my case it's more of, "I hope these guys aren't really good and don't get pissed that I don't drive it 350 yards" more so than sizing them up to determine if we'll play competitively.  I had a few scares at the country club where I got paired up with guys that had staff bags with their names on it and that sent some fear into me thinking they will be great players.  Turns out they weren't very good, just had a staff bag with their name on it.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree with other posts, it's impossible to not size up the other people when you get paired up.  In my case it's more of, "I hope these guys aren't really good and don't get pissed that I don't drive it 350 yards" more so than sizing them up to determine if we'll play competitively.  I had a few scares at the country club where I got paired up with guys that had staff bags with their names on it and that sent some fear into me thinking they will be great players.  Turns out they weren't very good, just had a staff bag with their name on it.

I hear you on this!  I got to the first tee yesterday and there were two other singles waiting to tee off.  An older guy asked myself and the other single if we wanted to form a threesome and we all agreed.  I agreed mostly because I didn't want to come across as a jerk and figured it'd also keep the pace of play better for everyone else.  But inside I was somewhat scared because I am a newbie and didn't want to be hacking along with a couple of better golfers.  Turns out I was somewhat right.  The older guy ended up being a 2 handicap and obviously played really well.  I didn't play horribly bad but I always felt like he was staring me down trying to speed me  up.  It effected my game a lot more than I want to admit but it was a good learning experience.

Jeff

I am not sure if this is quite the same thing but I analyze every swing I see. Even at the range, I'll stand back and watch people hit to see who is good. I don't let ppl see me doing this and I dont make comments or give tips. I am always watching and judging, tho

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I am not sure if this is quite the same thing but I analyze every swing I see. Even at the range, I'll stand back and watch people hit to see who is good. I don't let ppl see me doing this and I dont make comments or give tips. I am always watching and judging, tho

Me too. Although I don't even try to hide it. A good golf swing is fun to watch, and sometimes you can pick something up. Likewise, a bad swing is also fun to watch, kinda like a train wreck.

I sometimes catch people watching my swing, and I feel flattered. Once I hoisted an 8i up over some trees and plopped it next to the flag in front of some people waiting on a tee box, and they applauded. Makes you feel good.

dak4n6

It is hard not to size up another golfer. The thing is its not that difficult to determine how good someone is by looking at them and even their equipment. There are certain things that all "hackers" do or have that gives them away. Some "hackers" that I have played with were really nice guys though, and I enjoyed playing with them. I have also played with really good players who were total jerks.

One note for higher handicaps, good players players are used to playing with you. I for one do not mind playing with people that are not my skill level. It happens all the time. Just don't apologize when you hit a bad shot, we have all done it. Do you think that all scratch golfers were born that way? I shot in the 90's at one time, I can relate!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

When I get paired with someone I haven't played with before I just whip it out on the first tee and just show them that they are inferior to me right off the bat.

Post of the year.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 4289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!