IGNORED

RBZ driver... a bit disappointed

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After reading a bunch of reviews on how the RBZ driver adds 30+ yards, I was really looking forward to trying it out. I went to Golf Mart and compared it against my current Tour Burner and was getting similar results. If anything, my current driver was more consistent -- push draw to straight draw about 260 (all in) on average. The RBZ was getting about the same distance but the trajectory varied between a slight fade to a straight draw.

Both are 10.5 loft and R flex. Launch angle was about 14* on average and ball speed was around 130-135mph.

Is it possible that the demo club was "worn out" after being hit so many times?

A lot of people havent been impressed with the RBZ driver.  Most like the R11S better.  As for the claim of 30 more yards.  Really?  Did you REALLY believe that a new driver would give you 30 more yards on your drives?  Come on, now...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Not likely the driver was "worn out", but could be the shaft in it wasn't right for your swing or the claims by TM are more hype than reality.

Originally Posted by rubch

After reading a bunch of reviews on how the RBZ driver adds 30+ yards, I was really looking forward to trying it out. I went to Golf Mart and compared it against my current Tour Burner and was getting similar results. If anything, my current driver was more consistent -- push draw to straight draw about 260 (all in) on average. The RBZ was getting about the same distance but the trajectory varied between a slight fade to a straight draw.

Both are 10.5 loft and R flex. Launch angle was about 14* on average and ball speed was around 130-135mph.

Is it possible that the demo club was "worn out" after being hit so many times?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, good point. I haven't tried a new club for several years and read all these raving reviews from supposed users, but yeah, that definitely falls into the "too good to be true" category.

I hit at least a small bucket with almost every 2012 driver.   The least impressive to me was the RBZ.   I wound up going with the Nike VRS because it had the best combination of feel, sound, distance, & dispersion.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Originally Posted by GolfBear

I hit at least a small bucket with almost every 2012 driver.   The least impressive to me was the RBZ.   I wound up going with the Nike VRS because it had the best combination of feel, sound, distance, & dispersion.

I've heard/read many people say the VR_S is the sleeper driver of the year.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I've never liked Nike drivers since they introduced the brick shaped head, but I'll give them another go.

Also, how indicative/realistic do you think launch monitors are? I'm not fortunate enough to be able to demo these clubs at the range -- only on the launch monitor.

Originally Posted by GolfBear

I have a golf buddy that has been using the TMade R5 425 driver for the last 5 years.....He just got the RBZ as his "gift" for 35 years of service and was excited to get it.  However, it appears that the RBZ is not as good as it is advertised.....The old driver goes 180 yds.  He has 10 vertebrae fused in his back and cannot swing like most golfers.  He has taken the RBZ to the range and tried choking up, but he is not getting any accuracy out of it....any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by rubch

Thanks, that's really helpful. I've never liked Nike drivers since they introduced the brick shaped head, but I'll give them another go.

Also, how indicative/realistic do you think launch monitors are? I'm not fortunate enough to be able to demo these clubs at the range -- only on the launch monitor.

Rubch,

I tested drivers extensively on the range and only bought the Nike after I confirmed the numbers on the launch monitor.    The shots on the range had the right trajectory and distance but I wanted to check the spin numbers.     When I bought my new i20 irons I did the entire fitting based on the statics and trusted that if the numbers were right, the irons will be fine.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I didnt see any difference in the rocketballz driver and my r9. I ended up with a 910 D3 which pushed my carry from 235yds to 255yds . Now the rocketballz 3 wood is a beast. It really is 15yds longer than my r7 3 wood.

I saw an increase from my r9 supertri to the rocketballz driver i have now.

Although that could be to having the correct shaft as well.  But I hit everything further and much straighter

Driver:    SLDR TP 9.5* (Tour AD DI 6S)

Wood:   Jetspeed 3W (Aldilia RIP Alpha) & SLDR 5W (Diamana Kai'li)

Hybrids: Rescue 11 3H (18*) & Rescue 11 4H (21*)

Irons:     Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW

Wedge:   ATV 52* & 58*

Putter:   Bettinardi Signature 6

2nd swing did a little research (posted on this site somewhere) and found that the rocketballz driver shafts are all 1/2 a class (i don't know the proper term for it) stiffer than they advertise to be in their drivers. so R is between R and S, S is between S and XS, and so on.

that could explain some problems with fittings just going by what you think you use. i had an R flex Cleveland that was more in the range of senior flex territory and it was wildly inconsistent, but when i tried an S shaft rbz it straightened right out.

the regular version had a draw bias that was pronounced when i tried it, but the tour version was more neutral and i even opened that up a little and it works like a charm.

i think you misunderstood the advertising as well. i thought their 3 wood was the one they were bragging about adding ~15 yards or so. i mean they could use me and say mine added 20+ yards, but that's because i had an ill-fitted driver previously so obviously it would skew the results.

either way it definitely pays to bring your old club to a fitting and try as many different setups/clubs as you can. clubs are not universal and what works gangbusters for someone might be unhittable to someone else.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

There is nothing magical about the driver - there is no fast slot technology.

The magic is in the fairways, hybrids, .... and an aftermarket shaft.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Take this with a grain of salt because I own the RBZ driver, I bought it because I liked the feel of it, not as crazy about the sound but getting used to it. I hit it further then my old launcher, but that is because it is a better fit... I went from a 10.5* Launcher 460 to the RBZ tuned down to 8*... it's so nice to get rid of the balloon ball on the driver.

I used to get very little roll with my driver because the ball was launching to high and would balloon, especially with an wind in my face... but man would it go with a tail wind :).  with the RBZ I have a much better ball flight, I carry the ball the same distance, but when the ball hits the ground I actually get some roll... because of that the RBZ is longer for me, but again It is a better fit.

I also hit the Ping G20 and the monitor said I hit it a yard farther on average, but with a shut face and what I felt was a mushy face at impact, I went with the more solid feeling RBZ... I was hitting fades on the Launch monitor with the RBZ and draws with the G20, my normal ball flight is a slight draw, I hate the way the ball looks when its going right. my swing has settled in and the ball is drawing for me.... again I gained distance but i feel any driver that was properly fit would have given me more distance...  Just for reference my swing speed on the launch monitor was 110 +-1 and I was averaging I think 260-270 carry and total distance of right around 280-290 total on the monitor, with a couple rolling out to 300... I find this to be accurate with on course distance...

I also feel more confident with the new stick in my hands, but i would hope that would be true with any new driver.

I didn't like the light weight of the RBZ and ended up getting the R11S.  I hit the ball further with the RBZ but less accurately.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!