IGNORED

Should cannabis be banned?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The IOC makes exceptions and most people think that loophole gets abused.  The amount of people with thyroid problems (When all of one coaches are on the drug i.e. Salazaar) and in need of ADD meds (stimulants) is rather high.

And not to you but if you go to a friends house and are served pot brownies without anyone informing you, you deserve to be fired. You judgement  (i.e. hanging out with people that would drug others without informing them) is really bad.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't know if the IOC makes exceptions for athletes that have specific conditions that would require the use of banned substances, but if they do then I'd think the use of marijauna could be reviewed if there was a medical condition that warranted it's use.  Until the rules changes athletes know there are ramifications for using banned substances and should be aware of what they put into their body.

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

This is the age old argument for pot legalization, but you are talking about alcohol ABUSE. Limited to a drink or two a day, alcohol can actually offer a health benefit, while any amount of regular smoking (pot or cigs), is detrimental to your respiratory health.

Smoking a joint on friday night is no worse for the body than having a few drinks once a week.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I'd agree if marijuana were controlled by the FDA but in it's current street form you can't say it's safer than alcohol.  I've seen kids get deathly sick from whatever the pot they bought was laced with, so as a drug sold illegally on the streets in most states in the United States you can't make the argument it's as safe or safer than alcohol.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I feel that if Alcohol is legal, so should Marijauna be. I have seen far worst affects on peoples bodies from booze than pot. Pot MAY(its debateable, really) cause lung cancer if smoked in excess for years on end.

Alcohol destroys the whole body. Its eats away at all your organs, and especially the lungs, liver, heart and kidneys. It also causes the  destruction of both white and gray matter in the brain, which is far worse than pots affect on it, which only kills regenerative white matter, causing no real damage.

The 'stunned' affect caused by excessive marijauna use will go away in days after discontinuing your use of the drug. The effects of alcohol, for the most part, is completely permanent, especially, again, the heart, liver, kidneys, and stomach.

I would also argue that Cigarettes, which are also legal, are also far worse than smoked THC, and close to alcohol in its harmfullness.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd agree if marijuana were controlled by the FDA but in it's current street form you can't say it's safer than alcohol.  I've seen kids get deathly sick from whatever the pot they bought was laced with, so as a drug sold illegally on the streets in most states in the United States you can't make the argument it's as safe or safer than alcohol.

I have never, ever, seen anyone get pot laced with anything. Its a myth, a bullshit story that cops and politicians tell. Its extremely rare. Nobody is going to mix an 80-100$ gram of coke to a 120 bag of weed, when smoking cocaine with pot really does nothing to begin with, aside from making the pot really hard to burn.

I have never seen anyone get sick from it either. I dunno what world you come from, but up here, it doesn't happen, period.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

I honestly don't have any issue with it.  I think its no worse than alcohol but, I carry an SCI TS clearance and sadly I can't so have one for me.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I come from the United States maybe you could get in your space ship and visit us sometime.  I guess if you never saw it then it must have never happened.

I have never, ever, seen anyone get pot laced with anything. Its a myth, a bullshit story that cops and politicians tell. Its extremely rare. Nobody is going to mix an 80-100$ gram of coke to a 120 bag of weed, when smoking cocaine with pot really does nothing to begin with, aside from making the pot really hard to burn.

I have never seen anyone get sick from it either. I dunno what world you come from, but up here, it doesn't happen, period.

Joe Paradiso

Smoking a joint on friday night is no worse for the body than having a few drinks once a week.

Yeah, too bad that's not what I said. Smoking a joint or two a day is worse for your health than having one or two drinks a day. Again, regular smoking of any kind does damaga to your respiratory system while regular, but moderate drinking can actually be medicinal. Just pointing out that when it's said alcholol is more damaging to your health than pot, it is referring to cases of alcohol abuse/addiction. In cases of steady, but moderate, use that is simply not true,

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

...Pot MAY(its debateable, really) cause lung cancer if smoked in excess for years on end...

No, it's not debatable. It's smoke and smoke contains carcinogens which, if taken enough and over a long enough time, will increase the risk of contracting lung/oesophageal/mouth/etc cancer. Some won't get it, some will but the risk over a large number of people will be larger than in a control group not smoking it.

Alcohol destroys the whole body. Its eats away at all your organs, and especially the lungs, liver, heart and kidneys. It also causes the  destruction of both white and gray matter in the brain, which is far worse than pots affect on it, which only kills regenerative white matter, causing no real damage.

The 'stunned' affect caused by excessive marijauna use will go away in days after discontinuing your use of the drug. The effects of alcohol, for the most part, is completely permanent, especially, again, the heart, liver, kidneys, and stomach.

I would also argue that Cigarettes, which are also legal, are also far worse than smoked THC, and close to alcohol in its harmfullness.

Alcohol has little effect on the lungs. "Regenerative white matter"??????? I don't disagree that alcohol and tobacco are, or can be, harmful but you're deluding yourself if you think hash is good for you.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Shit everything gives you cancer my keyboard right now probably gives me cancer.  Don't they prescribe pot for certain types of cancer?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Used in moderation there are studies showing that THC has anti carcinogenic properties.  A vape and a beer every keeps the doctor away.  Also, I've been around weed for about 15 years now and I have never seen, now heard of anyone getting weed "laced" with something else.  If you believe bad weed is a significant problem, it only goes for the legalization argument.  During alcohol prohibition bath tub gin hurt a lot of people.  Right now maybe the worst drug is meth because anyone can make it, but it is terrible for you.

What's in my Micro Lite Bag:

Driver: RocketBallz Tour 9
3 Wood: V Steel 15 degree
3-PW: 762 DCIGW: CG 12 52 degree

SW/LW: spin milled 56/11, 60/7

Putter: 2 Ball 35"

I'm all for pot being legalized and taxed.  As for lacing, our friends daughter and her friends had to be taken to the emergency room after they smoked a joint that the doctors believe was dipped in embalming fluid.  I don't know how widespread it is, or how big a problem, but for these parents and their kids, it was a reality.

Originally Posted by BMac0223

Used in moderation there are studies showing that THC has anti carcinogenic properties.  A vape and a beer every keeps the doctor away.  Also, I've been around weed for about 15 years now and I have never seen, now heard of anyone getting weed "laced" with something else.  If you believe bad weed is a significant problem, it only goes for the legalization argument.  During alcohol prohibition bath tub gin hurt a lot of people.  Right now maybe the worst drug is meth because anyone can make it, but it is terrible for you.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by BMac0223

Also, I've been around weed for about 15 years now and I have never seen, now heard of anyone getting weed "laced" with something else.  If you believe bad weed is a significant problem, it only goes for the legalization argument.

I don't know, I guess someone could lace weed with something and then sell it, but it's not a great business idea. You're mixing coke, for example, which is harder to get and more expensive than weed, and more dangerous to deal. The worst you could get in a bag of weed would be extra water weight so they overcharge you, or a couple seeds which the growers are supposed to keep anyway. You'd have to be a psycho to deal with lacing your weed with anything dangerous. Sure today's grass is more potent than it was in previous years due to breeding, maybe people could have a bad reaction, but there's a big difference between small time dealing pot and dealing with other drugs, most dealers wouldn't want the risk.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I don't know if it happens anymore but once, about 15 years ago I unknowingly smoked a joint that had been laced with pcp. Not cool at all. That was only 1 time in a long career of smoking so it is pretty rare. I don't think it should be banned unless they can come up with a test that can show if somebody is actually high now - not just smoked a day ago or something. I doubt it would be a performance enhancer in any sport - even golf or shooting because it doesn't *make* you relax. You never really know what it will do - sometimes it can make you nervous or tired. I wouldn't have a problem with a ban, tho - except thc stays in your body long after you sober up so there really is no adequate test.

My argument is when the athlete is High and when the drug is simply in the athletes system.  In my opinion pot would give no athlete (minus the steady hand sports already stated) an advantage and if the athlete went out 3 weeks before a race and got high then that is quite alright.

As for those of you concerned about drugs being laced if you by from a reputable dealer (not some sketch guy in a back alley) then your chances of getting laced product is extremely rare.  Maybe if schools encouraged those that choose to engage in recreational drugs to be careful and know who you are buying from instead of trying to scare the shit out of kids there might not be anyone buying laced drugs.

On the other note the old fashioned thinking of "If it is illegal in America then it is wrong for the rest of the world" lets open our eyes a bit people from the netherlands are well within the law to smoke pot and then go talk to a police officer.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Pretty much every study done has demonstrated that smoked pot does NOT cause lung cancer. The one study that I am aware of that does show it increasing was a study of tobacco and MJ smokers.  Sometimes reality and your common sense don't align.

Now Mj has been linked to a bunch of other cancers (brain, testicular, and a couple of others),  respiratory issues and a few other health issues.

Quote:

No, it's not debatable. It's smoke and smoke contains carcinogens which, if taken enough and over a long enough time, will increase the risk of contracting lung/oesophageal/mouth/etc cancer. Some won't get it, some will but the risk over a large number of people will be larger than in a control group not smoking it.

If I remember correctly, Sonnen didn't disclose he was on TRT until after he failed the NSAC test.  He then had to provide all the proof and justification that it was legit but they said he violated the policies for not disclosing that he was on TRT before the testing process.

The IOC is within their rights to adopt their own rules independant of the laws of each country.

No, you are correct and I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten the punishment for not going with policy.  My point about this is that it's a grey area.

Had Sonnen turned in his papers and did it all according to policy, he would have still failed. Not because his test levels weren't under the legal limit, but because his T/E ratio was off.  That's his argument.  There is no rule in the UFC rulebook that gives a number for the T/E ration....just test levels.   You can be 100% legal on your test level, and still have a big ratio discrepancy  in your T/E ratio, which is not in the rule book. Same thing happened with Overeem.  Now we all know what Overeem is doing, but he passes test.  The last test he failed....they won't say what he failed.  That's why Sonnen has lobbied so hard on Overeem's behalf.  No one will tell what Overeem failed.  Anyway, that kinda strays from the point.

I don't disagree with your IOC statement.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

Alcohol has little effect on the lungs. "Regenerative white matter"??????? I don't disagree that alcohol and tobacco are, or can be, harmful but you're deluding yourself if you think hash is good for you.

You are wrong. Again, testing has showed that marijauna has less carcinogens than bbq'd food. Hash and pot are far, far less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Period. Get over it. If anything should be illegal, its those two drugs, both of which have killed millions. Pot has done no such thing period.

And no, smoke is not automaticly a carcinogen.

If you don't understand the difference between white and grey matter, you should not be in this thread arguing.

Either way, i'd much rather my kid come home and tell me he's a pothead than an alcoholic. The outcome is better for everyone.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!