IGNORED

Should cannabis be banned?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Legalize it, tax it, and leave me alone.

This. What one chooses to put in their body is up to them.

• Upvote 1

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

As long as being a pot head doesn't lead to becoming a heroin or meth addict.  Alcohol is alcohol, kicking beer or vodka is the same treatment, that's not the case for hard drugs.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Either way, i'd much rather my kid come home and tell me he's a pothead than an alcoholic. The outcome is better for everyone.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess while I don't care if the legalize it or not that certain professions should not use drugs that can potentially alter your judgement and cannabis does.  Certainly I don't want to fly in a plane while the pilot is smoking a joint.  In the case of athletics maybe it is the safety of the competitors is the reason it is banned.  Where I worked it would get you fired if you didn't pass one of the random drug tests.

Butch

Originally Posted by newtogolf

As long as being a pot head doesn't lead to becoming a heroin or meth addict.  Alcohol is alcohol, kicking beer or vodka is the same treatment, that's not the case for hard drugs.

Ok I am sorry but this is my most hated statement of all time because it just isn't a statistically backed up statement.  I bet most criminals shoplifted when they were kids, does this mean all kids that shoplift are gonna turn out to be murderers, rapists ect.?  My argument is this all hard drug users started with pot, but not all pot users end in hard drugs.  Same as anything else, all teens that act out in violent ways (school shootings ect.) may have played Grand Theft Auto, but just cause you play GTA does that mean you are gonna kill somebody?

Also alcohol withdrawal can actually be fatal, If I recall correctly it is one of the only substances that can kill you just from withdrawal.  (not suicide or other indirect causes).

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by mosnas

Ok I am sorry but this is my most hated statement of all time because it just isn't a statistically backed up statement.  I bet most criminals shoplifted when they were kids, does this mean all kids that shoplift are gonna turn out to be murderers, rapists ect.?  My argument is this all hard drug users started with pot, but not all pot users end in hard drugs.  Same as anything else, all teens that act out in violent ways (school shootings ect.) may have played Grand Theft Auto, but just cause you play GTA does that mean you are gonna kill somebody?

Also alcohol withdrawal can actually be fatal, If I recall correctly it is one of the only substances that can kill you just from withdrawal.  (not suicide or other indirect causes).

Absolutely, the whole gateway drug theory is complete bs.

Ok I am sorry but this is my most hated statement of all time because it just isn't a statistically backed up statement.  I bet most criminals shoplifted when they were kids, does this mean all kids that shoplift are gonna turn out to be murderers, rapists ect.?  My argument is this all hard drug users started with pot, but not all pot users end in hard drugs.  Same as anything else, all teens that act out in violent ways (school shootings ect.) may have played Grand Theft Auto, but just cause you play GTA does that mean you are gonna kill somebody? Also alcohol withdrawal can actually be fatal, If I recall correctly it is one of the only substances that can kill you just from withdrawal.  (not suicide or other indirect causes).

You are correct. Withdrawals from alcohol are probably the most dangerous types of withdrawals from the reading and documentaries I have seen.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Would you say the same thing about cocaine, heroin, meth, painkillers and a whole slew of other drugs? After all it what one chooses to put in your body is up to them.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

This. What one chooses to put in their body is up to them.

I notice that almost everyone who smokes weed also drinks alcohol. So if anything alcohol leads to weed at a higher rate than weed leads to other drugs.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I agree with you, but your statement that all hard drug users started with pot was my point.  Kids drink beer might progress to vodka, or rum but it's still alcohol.  Pot users that progress to heroin, crack, meth and prescription drugs are headed into a dark area that usually results in criminal activity to support the very expensive habit.  I also agree alcohol withdrawal is the most dangerous, but the others are not without their risks as well.

I'm all for legalization and taxation of pot, and if you guys want to smoke it, I'm not judging, but let's not pretend that it doesn't have any downsides.  Many of my friends in H.S. started with pot, then worked their way to speed, mesc and coke.  A few had their lives ruined by it, addiction, arrests for burglery, dealing and stealing cars to support their habit.  Admittedly, others stopped doing the heavy drugs and had very productive lives.  I've also had a few friends ruin their careers and marraiges from alcoholism so I'm not promoting one over the other.

For the record, I've never tried pot or any other illegal drug so I have no idea how you feel on them or the effects they have on you.  I also drink very infrequently, maybe 1-2 times per year and haven't been drunk since my college years.  Yes, I'm a pretty boring guy, but it's part of what I have to do for my business and to set a good example for my kids.

Joe Paradiso

I agree with you, but your statement that all hard drug users started with pot was my point.  Kids drink beer might progress to vodka, or rum but it's still alcohol.  Pot users that progress to heroin, crack, meth and prescription drugs are headed into a dark area that usually results in criminal activity to support the very expensive habit.  I also agree alcohol withdrawal is the most dangerous, but the others are not without their risks as well.

I'm all for legalization and taxation of pot, and if you guys want to smoke it, I'm not judging, but let's not pretend that it doesn't have any downsides.  Many of my friends in H.S. started with pot, then worked their way to speed, mesc and coke.  A few had their lives ruined by it, addiction, arrests for burglery, dealing and stealing cars to support their habit.  Admittedly, others stopped doing the heavy drugs and had very productive lives.  I've also had a few friends ruin their careers and marraiges from alcoholism so I'm not promoting one over the other.

For the record, I've never tried pot or any other illegal drug so I have no idea how you feel on them or the effects they have on you.  I also drink very infrequently, maybe 1-2 times per year and haven't been drunk since my college years.  Yes, I'm a pretty boring guy, but it's part of what I have to do for my business and to set a good example for my kids.

Yea, and all hard drug users started with milk. Seriously!

Makes sense, I don't drink milk either.

Originally Posted by audi2000

Yea, and all hard drug users started with milk. Seriously!

Joe Paradiso

Ummmm, studies have shown that the leading cause of first time cocaine use is alcohol. A bunch of addicts were questioned on their use, the common answer? Not 'I smoked pot, and went to cocaine. No, 'I was drinking, and the cocaine kept me awake and feeling good to drink more'. Because with a single line, a stumbling drunk fool is back to practically sober, so they can party harder. The whole marijauna is a gateway drug thing is bullshit. I've seen far more heavy drinkers doing hard drugs than potheads. And I speak from plenty of experience with both pot smokers and heavy drinkers. We can do this all day, the fact is you believe stories with no basis. Government propaganda. There is no proof that pot leads to harder drugs, but there is lots of evidence that alcohol does.

And to the person who asked if I believe all drugs should be legal? Yes I do. Take the Netherlands for example. Legalized hard drugs have dropped the crime rates by a ridiculous percentage. The spread of disease is lower than among any other population of addicts, because needles and equipment are supplied in a safe manner at safe injection sites. It did not at all increase the amount of people who do hard drugs in the netherlands, but it sure cleaned up their streets.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Oh ya pot like anything good can have it's downsides for sure and the sooner we stop pretending that just because you can't OD on pot so it is harmless the sooner everyone can take a step forward to accepting it.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Quick, everyone give me their pot so I can safely "dispose" of it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 years later...

An interesting(?) study just out this week:

http://www.thelancet.com/pb/assets/raw/Lancet/pdfs/14TLP0454_Di%20Forti.pdf

Quote:
Between May 1, 2005, and May 31, 2011, we obtained data from 410 patients with first-episode psychosis and
370 population controls. The risk of individuals having a psychotic disorder showed a roughly three-times increase in
users of skunk-like cannabis compared with those who never used cannabis (adjusted odds ratio [OR] 2·92, 95% CI
1·52–3·45, p=0·001). Use of skunk-like cannabis every day conferred the highest risk of psychotic disorders compared
with no use of cannabis (adjusted OR 5·4, 95% CI 2·81–11·31, p=0·002). The population attributable fraction of first-
episode psychosis for skunk use for our geographical area was 24% (95% CI 17–31), possibly because of the high
prevalence of use of high-potency cannabis (218 [53%] of 410 patients) in our study.

It will be interesting to follow the stats over the years in Uruguay and U.S. states that elect to legalise cannabis. I can hear the drooling of the lawyers from here.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!