IGNORED

how to shoot lower scores?

dash1988
Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for about 3 years now got myself to 20 handicapp, have a slight over the top swing, shot shape is usually about 10-15yd fade with driver 3 wood 3,4,5i, hit the rest straight but sometimes turns into a slice if i am having a bad day.

Ok putter, mediocre short game, terrible bunker player.

Average shot distance is usally about:

Driver 240yd

3 wood 220yd

3 iron 200yd

4 190yd

5180yd

6170yd

7160yd

8145yd

9135yd

P 120yd

S 95yd

L 60yd

I am curious as to what i need to do in order to shoot lower scores?, whether it be working on my swing to eliminate the fade or working on my short game and bunker shots or even trying to get more power and hit longer shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VRS Covert 8.5°

VRS 3 Wood

VRS Covert 3i hybrid

VR pro cavity irons 4-9

46°,52°,56°,60°

Method 001 putter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I am curious as to what i need to do in order to shoot lower scores?, whether it be working on my swing to eliminate the fade or working on my short game and bunker shots or even trying to get more power and hit longer shots.

All of the above (except dont worry about more power)

and good putting helps too...

lol yeah i figured that but is there any particular part which is more important that the rest in you opinion that will help me get there faster or just need to improve the whole think as a package?

VRS Covert 8.5°

VRS 3 Wood

VRS Covert 3i hybrid

VR pro cavity irons 4-9

46°,52°,56°,60°

Method 001 putter

We hit the same distances, except I can't hit 3 and 4 irons. I use a fairway wood at half swing or 4 rescue/hybrid, and I can only do a 3/4 swing on the 5 iron for a distance of only 175 yards. Usually, it's a bad drive then trying to recover from it that hurts me the most. Your distances would be perfect on the courses I play in the Los Angeles area. I hurt my shoulder so all I could do is putt and chip. So, for 4 months, that's all I practiced. This seemed to lower my scores by about 5 strokes per round. Doglegs hurt as well, so learning to purposely drawing and fading the ball would help. I can't do it. However, when looking at where my balls land and the geometry of the courses I play, it seems like that would gain an extra 20 yards or so from a drive. Take a look at what the scratch and single digit handicappers are writing on other threads.They are really impressive. It seems like a totally different game from what I am trying to play.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys.. save me.. I have no wedges except for a pitching wedge a gap wedge..and a sand wedge.. Right when I'm 70 yards or closer... i know im screwed.. i have no answer for it.. i need wedges but i have no money for them.. and the fact that i need them ruin my game every single time. The sand wedge cant do anything for me..wrong shape..weight..its junk. It's a horrible feeling..especially when im playing with others..

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

Guys.. save me..

I have no wedges except for a pitching wedge a gap wedge..and a sand wedge..

Right when I'm 70 yards or closer... i know im screwed.. i have no answer for it.. i need wedges but i have no money for them.. and the fact that i need them ruin my game every single time. The sand wedge cant do anything for me..wrong shape..weight..its junk.

It's a horrible feeling..especially when im playing with others..

Used wedges can be pretty cheap ($20 or less if you look hard enough), and you can get pretty decent wedges fairly cheap as well as I've seen 3 wedge sets from Adams as low as $100... maybe skip a round or two and invest in something like that.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Short game is the key.  I have learned to chip with all of the wedges (I have a pitching, gap, and sand) plus I can chip with a 8 or 9 iron from 50-70 yards out with good accuracy.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I just bought a used Cleveland 56* for $20 from the pro shop at my home course. About 2 years ago I got a Vokey 52* off ebay, with shipping it came to right at $50. Inexpensive wedges are out there.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

I'll be on the lookout, thanks gents.

now to find out which degrees are best. 30 yard bloopers that are able to stop on a dime-ish.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Guys.. save me..

I have no wedges except for a pitching wedge a gap wedge..and a sand wedge..

Right when I'm 70 yards or closer... i know im screwed.. i have no answer for it..

And then...

...now to find out which degrees are best. 30 yard bloopers that are able to stop on a dime-ish.

IMO, you already have more than enough wedges.  And at this point you would be best off saving the '30 blooper that stops on a dime' for the range.  I'd recommend picking either your pitching wedge or your gap (if you're comfortable with it), and using that for all your shots within 70 yards.  Try to develop 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings, and then practice using your pitching wedge with a putting stroke (ball back in the stance) when you're relatively close to the green.

Originally Posted by Roblar

And then...

IMO, you already have more than enough wedges.  And at this point you would be best off saving the '30 blooper that stops on a dime' for the range.  I'd recommend picking either your pitching wedge or your gap (if you're comfortable with it), and using that for all your shots within 70 yards.  Try to develop 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings, and then practice using your pitching wedge with a putting stroke (ball back in the stance) when you're relatively close to the green.

This..^  Listen too Roblar...dead on advice

The most dramatic way to shave strokes is in the short game.  Whether you prefer a hook or slice isn't relevant..........just keep it in play.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I believe that the short game is the easiest way to improve your score, but the best way is probably to work on both short and long shots. I remember this article was linked an a pervious thread a while ago, and I found it very interesting. Kinda makes me rethink the whole "short game is the best way to improve score". http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/sports/golf/21pennington.html?_r=1

about twice a week im from the uk so from november-february i dont play at all because of the shitty weather.

VRS Covert 8.5°

VRS 3 Wood

VRS Covert 3i hybrid

VR pro cavity irons 4-9

46°,52°,56°,60°

Method 001 putter

Originally Posted by dash1988

about twice a week im from the uk so from november-february i dont play at all because of the shitty weather.

try getting out to practice once or twice a week in addition to the rounds you play...there is a thread (65/25/10) that debates how you should spend your practice time.  Improving your bunker play will make you a bit more consistent and shouldn`t be that hard to do, but likely won`t lower your handicap by more than a shot or two.

If  I was in your shoes, I would work on learning 1 bunker shot (open club, open stance hit 3 inches behind and follow through) so that you know that you can get it out and onto the green almost every time and also spend some time on some basic chip shots.  Until you can say you have at least an average short game, spend 50% on long game, 40% on short game and 10% on putting.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I'm in the same exact boat. About 3 years, high handicap. Similar distances too.

I've been really frustrated with instructors. Several hundred dollars paid and no real help. Okay, I'll give 1 guy some credit for improving my putting. But my swing has no consistency whatsoever. In fact, as I've improved my knowledge of the mechanics of the swing, its clear I've been given poor advice on numerous occasions (not that I'm the only one who's received bad advice).

I've decided that I can't rely on feel alone to figure out this golf swing. I'm taking video of my swing now. Its incredible how you can think you are doing one thing but in reality you are awkward as hell. I've observed several problems with my rhythm I can work on as well as stance, head, arm and wrist positions. Honestly some of these problems are fundamental enough they should have been pointed out to me by one of these pros I was paying. I tried out some changes last week with the driver and felt a difference in power and even a greater % of straight shots. I'll likely shoot some more video this week. I don't know if I'm qualified to recommend video yet as I'm still waiting for the benefits, but it's nice to have a new tool to try. I'm a visual person, so having a picture to look at helps me get a sense of what to do to fix it.

Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!