IGNORED

What can Amateur accept?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New golf phenom, Lydia Ko, still in high school wants to play golf around the world as Am then go to college, as Am.  I know she cannot accept golf prize money but if someone wants to support her travels etc, is that permitted?  She may come from a moderate income family so could use some private financial aid. I can imagine playing in professional tournies is more costly than Am events considering 'green fees', hotel, travel and various upkeep needs.

Originally Posted by joekelly

New golf phenom, Lydia Ko, still in high school wants to play golf around the world as Am then go to college, as Am.  I know she cannot accept golf prize money but if someone wants to support her travels etc, is that permitted?  She may come from a moderate income family so could use some private financial aid. I can imagine playing in professional tournies is more costly than Am events considering 'green fees', hotel, travel and various upkeep needs.

This is a case where NCAA policy, not just the Rules of Amateur Status, would apply.  I can't answer your question since I don't know anything about the NCAA policies in this regard.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is easier and more effective to point you to

http://www.usga.org/rules/amateur_status/Amateur-Status/

rather than try and paraphrase the relevant bits.

Any references to money value may vary depending whether the player resides in the USGA or R&A; area and which country they are in. But variations are pretty nominal.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

It is easier and more effective to point you to

http://www.usga.org/rules/amateur_status/Amateur-Status/

rather than try and paraphrase the relevant bits.

Any references to money value may vary depending whether the player resides in the USGA or R&A; area and which country they are in. But variations are pretty nominal.

But the NCAA may be different from USGA.  NCAA can nip you for gifts which may not affect USGA amateur status.  I have no idea what they may or may not find acceptable, and it's best to ask them directly.

Rick

Originally Posted by Rulesman

What has it got to do with NCAA? I thought she is from New Zealand.

“I want to graduate high school first back in New Zealand."

Don'

t know how I was supposed to know that from this thread.  Sorry, but I don't follow amateur golf.  I don't even follow the pros that closely.   But a lot of golfers from around the world play collegiately in the US, so it should be a consideration.

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

This is a case where NCAA policy, not just the Rules of Amateur Status, would apply.  I can't answer your question since I don't know anything about the NCAA policies in this regard.

Not the case with Ko, but let's assume NCAA rules someone breaking their policy. That would still not necessarily affect amateur status regarding USGA/R&A;, I assume?

Originally Posted by luu5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not the case with Ko, but let's assume NCAA rules someone breaking their policy. That would still not necessarily affect amateur status regarding USGA/R&A;, I assume?

No it shouldn't have anything to do with USGA qualifications.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

NCAA eligibility rules are complicated and a can of worms.  My local high school athletic department, had people whose job was to see that football and basketball players never jeopardized their future eligibility with the NCAA.  If you have a child who is probably going to compete in the NCAA, find out who is the representative of the NCAA and verify that the rules are never violated.  Also be careful that you don't violate new rules that were recently enacted by the NCAA.

I read that while Tiger was in college he got in trouble with the NCAA, One thing that was rumored to have been a violation was when he went out to dinner with Arnold Palmer who paid for his dinner.  It was also rumored that Tiger was going to lose his NCAA amateur status because of things like that.

I just looked up and found that the NCAA requires that all incoming freshmen be certified an amateur. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Eligibility/Remaining+Eligible/Amateurism

Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!