IGNORED

125 mph Swing Speed Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

125 is in the "elite" spectrum of club head speed.  I honestly can't tell how fast your swing is from that recent video you posted, but I do recall seeing Tiger Woods, DJ and Bubba Watson in a tournament about 1.5-2 months ago.  They all teed off on a par 5 on the back 9 and their swing speeds were all in the range of 124-127 (if I remember correctly).  Obviously they could swing faster if they weren't trying to hit controlled shots in the fairway, but it was still incredibly fast to my naked eye.  So when guys hear a swing speed that high, they will naturally be skeptical.

I wouldn't say 'elite' spectrum per se... Maybe on tour - guys that can actually play.  But 140 to 150mph is 'elite'.  That would be the long drive guys.  Not the tour professionals.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys who swing 120+mph - when they make contact... The ball literally rips through the air.  You will hear the club rip through the air from a guy swinging over 100mph+... And it is hard to determine if a guy from 100mph is swinging upwards of 115 to 120mph just by the sound of the club.  Moreso - listen to how the ball flies through the air.

I play regularly with a guy who has a swing speed of 120+mph swing speed.  And my swing speed is in the 105 range... Both clubs sound similar... But his ball sounds a lot more powerful as it leaves the face and rips through the air.

PS. Watching my buddy hit his 3i 260 is fun.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I play regularly with a guy who has a swing speed of 120+mph swing speed.  And my swing speed is in the 105 range... Both clubs sound similar... But his ball sounds a lot more powerful as it leaves the face and rips through the air.

If Beach is talking about who I think he's talking about, I can concur.  I played with him once and he hit a driver 300 yds. dead into a pretty strong wind.  I have no idea how ... apparently it's the 120 SS.  Regardless, I was really impressed.

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

Just and update, I recently purchased a Titleist 907D2 8.5 with a 45" UST V2 Proforce X stiff and I absolutely love this club!  I hit it very straight for me, and my misses aren't nearly as bad.  I can't hit the huge high slices like I use to even if I tried.  Part of that comes from the lower loft, shorter length of shaft, and the fact even though its a x stiff and 76g it still feels a little light and soft so i can't at least feel like I'm swinging that hard, really have to control my swing, and that has helped tremendously.  Thank you for the help and advice

That sounds like a good combo and glad it is working for you.

Originally Posted by Bonesaw

That sounds like a good combo and glad it is working for you.

+1 Glad you found a good fit. Now, go and work on your 150 --> clubs.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Originally Posted by Gilly

+1 Glad you found a good fit. Now, go and work on your 150 --> clubs.

Thank you, and my 150 club is my PW and thats probably my best club in the bag!  Putting and chipping are my next big improvements I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by notsohard

131mph is no problem with a 2003 983K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lorc8o1Kcns&list;=UUKhzOGU4U8o9xVU7MqK6s9g&index;=11&feature;=plcp

Great news!!

Could you take my post out of context some more please?

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of people have no friggin' idea what a "125 mph" swing looks like in person.

Hey everyone who wants to keep on re-posting my comment as if I was saying nobody could ever swing at 125mph (idiots), here's the post I was responding to.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Never played a round with someone with that kind of power.  That would be fun...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Hey everyone who wants to keep on re-posting my comment as if I was saying nobody could ever swing at 125mph (idiots), here's the post I was responding to.

When you don't quote a post, people can't be sure who in the heck you're responding to.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

When you don't quote a post, people can't be sure who in the heck you're responding to.

True it was my mistake and hence why I posted that picture (which would work for "125" in the numbers thread).

For the people who are "questioning my claim" this is my actual driver swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el8d0bOkcsQ

Just started reading Golf Digest's December 2012 issue and they compare Rory's and Tiger's swing down the line. Both are at 120 mph and @ 300+ yds / 290+ yds respectively with much better mechanics and top of the line equipment tailor made to their swings. These guys are the greatest in the world..........

Can someone explain to me after viewing the video of the OP (big sway, little shoulder turn, etc...) how the hell that swing with off the rack equipment is capable of generating Tiger/Rory type clubhead speed? Hell, I'd be surprised if it's that much above 100 mph.......

Sorry but I'm thinking these posts are just a big fishing expedition and the fish are really biting.

And OP, if you really are serious those guys measuring your swing speed are trying to sell you something. Go to your local pro for lessons to fix those obvious faults and have that guy measure your speed before/after.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Just started reading Golf Digest's December 2012 issue and they compare Rory's and Tiger's swing down the line. Both are at 120 mph and @ 300+ yds / 290+ yds respectively with much better mechanics and top of the line equipment tailor made to their swings. These guys are the greatest in the world..........

Can someone explain to me after viewing the video of the OP (big sway, little shoulder turn, etc...) how the hell that swing with off the rack equipment is capable of generating Tiger/Rory type clubhead speed? Hell, I'd be surprised if it's that much above 100 mph.......

Sorry but I'm thinking these posts are just a big fishing expedition and the fish are really biting.

And OP, if you really are serious those guys measuring your swing speed are trying to sell you something. Go to your local pro for lessons to fix those obvious faults and have that guy measure your speed before/after.

Dont know much about golf obviously, but I do know when the say he averages 290 yards, that is based on driving holes, driver/3wood and accounting for shots in the rough on tight holes, that even the best players in the world can't avoid, and the well known fact Tiger hits down on the ball which causes a launch angle that kills distance, again well known, why because he's frieken Tiger Woods and I'm not going to question him.  Another thing they are obviously way better than me, never questioned that one, but the at 6'3" and 235 I absolutely dwarf both of them, and I know this because he walked within a few feet of me at the Buick Open in 2008.  Couldn't the fact they're immensely better mechanics and my advantage in strenght and leverage equal out to roughly the same swing speed?  True it would make sense my clubhead speed on my driver is 100 mph, especially when I hit my 6 iron 210 yards, jackass

Why do you think an off the rack driver would swing slower than some custom one? Better clubs don't swing faster (well maybe if they have different weights/swing weights). They will help you be more accurate and maybe hit the ball farther.  Tiger and Rory are great for a lot of reasons other than clubhead speed. If that was all that mattered Jamie S would be the best golfer in the world.

You can crank the ball long distances with a ton of swing flaws. Things like sway really don't effect power. What they do is make it really hard to be consistant. The pros are great not because of their good shots. It is because their bad shots are really good also. Rory's bad drive is 280 off the fairway but playable. Thats my good drive. My bad drive is a 150 yard topper or a 250 with a 50 yard slice into the woods

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Dont know much about golf obviously, but I do know when the say he averages 290 yards, that is based on driving holes, driver/3wood and accounting for shots in the rough on tight holes, that even the best players in the world can't avoid, and the well known fact Tiger hits down on the ball which causes a launch angle that kills distance, again well known, why because he's frieken Tiger Woods and I'm not going to question him.  Another thing they are obviously way better than me, never questioned that one, but the at 6'3" and 235 I absolutely dwarf both of them, and I know this because he walked within a few feet of me at the Buick Open in 2008.  Couldn't the fact they're immensely better mechanics and my advantage in strenght and leverage equal out to roughly the same swing speed?  True it would make sense my clubhead speed on my driver is 100 mph, especially when I hit my 6 iron 210 yards, jackass

You mad bro?

Since you've posted this on the internet and added a personal insult as well, it must be true. Just like carrying a ball 290 yards with a 3 wood to ace a par 4.

Strength and size do not equate to distance but to humor you, I'm referring to your swing in the video. That is no where close to 125 mph although props to you for cracking 100 mph with that swing.

If strength and size did actually trump or negate technique, why is the tour full of skinny bastards and not full of goons? Ian Woosnam was listed at 5' 4" and hit the ball a ton. Keegan Bradley and Bubba Watson make Ethiopians look bulky but they are among the longest hitters on tour. Why?

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!