Sign in to follow this  
mvmac

Most Unorthodox Swing in the Game?

Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

38 posts / 6572 viewsLast Reply

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Isn't Ryan Moore's backswing a result of a wrist injury he had years ago?

No, he's always swung that way - what he was doing a few years ago was exaggerating it even more - going so far as to fully cock the club, pausing ever so briefly, then continuing on. He did that while recovering from the wrist injury.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As mentioned earlier, Josh Broadaway's cross-handed swing is pretty amazing. When I first started playing as a kind 30-something years ago, it felt more comfortable to hold the club cross-handed. My dad fixed that quickly, but I felt much more comfortable putting that way (and still do all these years later.) Back then, it was just me and Bruce Lietzke putting cross handed but now a lot of people do.

Originally Posted by iacas

No, he's always swung that way - what he was doing a few years ago was exaggerating it even more - going so far as to fully cock the club, pausing ever so briefly, then continuing on. He did that while recovering from the wrist injury.

What do you think of his impact position?  I really like his downswing and impact

Yep always hinged the club up abruptly.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

What do you think of his impact position?  I really like his downswing and impact

Not trying to answer for Erik but I'll give my opinion.  Obviously his downswing works.  He aims a little left and pushes everything.  Almost has to do a little "Jim Furyk" to get the hips to open up fast so the club doesn't get too far under.  As long as he understands that, innately or conceptually he'll be fine.  Good view of his push, body is aimed at the left bunkers

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

What's not to like? He gets it done. Mike answered though, and I concur (I always flash back to Catch Me If You Can when I say "I concur"). :)

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yep always hinged the club up abruptly.

Not trying to answer for Erik but I'll give my opinion.  Obviously his downswing works.  He aims a little left and pushes everything.  Almost has to do a little "Jim Furyk" to get the hips to open up fast so the club doesn't get too far under.  As long as he understands that, innately or conceptually he'll be fine.  Good view of his push, body is aimed at the left bunkers

Very interesting Video!  I never realized he pushed his shots "that" much.  I actually really want to see him play live.

What's not to like? He gets it done. Mike answered though, and I concur (I always flash back to Catch Me If You Can when I say "I concur"). :)

Jeev Milkha Singh [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9t8OHU0Olc[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjBqYg3jP5k[/VIDEO]

Originally Posted by mcctee

Anybody have a look at Miller Barber's swing from the 60's.  It did make the analysts of that time shake their heads.

Mister X - he had an extremely flying right elbow in his backswing. BTW, he just passed away, yesterday I believe.

Sad to hear about his passing, I was unaware.

If I don't get this mixed up with someone else, he was on the Ben Hogan staff at one time reporting back to Mr. Hogan about all things Tour.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Mister X - he had an extremely flying right elbow in his backswing. BTW, he just passed away, yesterday I believe.

Now THAT is a freaky looking backswing. Makes Furyk look elegant.

I love watching Furyk's swing from DTL. There something about it that just really resonates with me.

However, some other camera angles make me feel a little car sick.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Ryan Moore has a wacky swing, too.

Talk about a two-planer.  I wonder if he "feels" like his arms are passive on the early downswing (what with that massive left-hip-clearing lower body move) and just re-route naturally and also at what part of the downswing (before impact) he "feels" like he is turning his right forearm over his left to have that amazing post impact release and hard left exit. Does he actively "feel" like he is releasing and turning his right hand over or does it just happen passively?  How does one get inside the head of a PGA Tour player and gain access to those swing thoughts (if they have any at all, and might just be freakishly talented athletes) ?

Originally Posted by cutshot878

Talk about a two-planer.  I wonder if he "feels" like his arms are passive on the early downswing (what with that massive left-hip-clearing lower body move) and just re-route naturally and also at what part of the downswing (before impact) he "feels" like he is turning his right forearm over his left to have that amazing post impact release and hard left exit. Does he actively "feel" like he is releasing and turning his right hand over or does it just happen passively?  How does one get inside the head of a PGA Tour player and gain access to those swing thoughts (if they have any at all, and might just be freakishly talented athletes) ?

I would be surprised if he feels any of the things you mentioned.  With the way his back swing works, he'll have to "clear" his hips more aggressively than most.  I would say when these guys are playing they have very few to zero swing thoughts.  All that work is done on the range on off weeks or earlier in the week.

Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!