IGNORED

Classic Ping Irons

Note: This thread is 4164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am new here but thought I would share some information with the community you might be interested in about Ping Classic irons. Yesterday I started a post asking if Ping is re-releasing the Eye 2 series. I asked because when I was in a pro shop yesterday I seen brand new Ping Eye 2 sand wedges. It shocked me. OK moving right along I had a series of conversations with PING today to find out if any of the Classic Iron line could be custom ordered. Well the answer is sort of but not really. First round with PING was do they restore Classic club heads. Sort of is the answer. For $17.50/club they refinish a club face . Steel ones are sand blasted, polished, and new paint to look like new. BuCu are tumbled with steel ball bearings to remove nicks and shallow scratched, and repainted. But they WILL NOT re-mill any of them. Darn it! But back to the main question of can you custom order Classic Irons. Answer is yes and no. Here is PING answer in writing: [QUOTE]Our reply: If you currently have a set of classic irons (ANY model), you can order up to two replacement/fill in irons to match the serial number from that set. The USGA groove rule does not allow us to build full sets of any model which would have non conforming grooves. The limit will be two clubs, so unfortunately you cannot build a full set two clubs at a time. Bottom line is that a new set of any of our classic models can no longer be custom ordered. The oldest model in which a full set can be ordered are the G10 XGs. Please call 1-800-474-6434 if you have any further questions. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks USGA, that groove rule really made a difference

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just incrementally start "losing" two irons at a time. :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post

But back to the main question of can you custom order Classic Irons. Answer is yes and no. Here is PING answer in writing:

Quote:
Our reply: If you currently have a set of classic irons (ANY model), you can order up to two replacement/fill in irons to match the serial number from that set. The USGA groove rule does not allow us to build full sets of any model which would have non conforming grooves. The limit will be two clubs, so unfortunately you cannot build a full set two clubs at a time. Bottom line is that a new set of any of our classic models can no longer be custom ordered. The oldest model in which a full set can be ordered are the G10 XGs. Please call 1-800-474-6434 if you have any further questions.

Does this mean they will allow you to get the eye 2 in copper?

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I just called ping from the number posted above about my BeCu eye 2's and was told I could reorder up to two clubs as long as they had them in stock.   Unfortunately I have a 2-PW and they were out of stock of the SW and LW the two clubs I would have possibly ordered.  I was tempted to get the 1 iron but they cost $199 for each club.  I was happy to here that my 4 digit serial number was correct for the lie and that the original order only included the clubs I have.  I was told they were made in March of 1986

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Unfortunately I have a 2-PW and they were out of stock of the SW and LW the two clubs I would have possibly ordered.

Does not surprize me one bit as the SW and LW are the most sought after Eye 2 clubs ever. When all the skuttle started people bought as many as they could afford and get their hands on. Look around on Flea Bay for a BeCu Eye 2 SW or LW and note the prices. I have seen ones in good shape go for $400. If you recall in 2010 is when Phil Mickelson put a Ping Eye 2 SW in his bag at Tourey Pines and Scott McCarron accused Phil of cheating in public. Well Phil was not cheating as it was allowed and within the rules and Scott had to apologize. However that was the last straw. After that incident the PGA membership convened and change the rules again and said no more Ping Eye 2 or square grooved clubs can be used in PGA tournaments. I am surprised Ping did not sue the PGA for breach of contract from an earlier out of court settlement made in 1993. Anyway they are still legal in USGA events.

Originally Posted by dereckbc

Does not surprize me one bit as the SW and LW are the most sought after Eye 2 clubs ever. When all the skuttle started people bought as many as they could afford and get their hands on. Look around on Flea Bay for a BeCu Eye 2 SW or LW and note the prices. I have seen ones in good shape go for $400.

If you recall in 2010 is when Phil Mickelson put a Ping Eye 2 SW in his bag at Tourey Pines and Scott McCarron accused Phil of cheating in public. Well Phil was not cheating as it was allowed and within the rules and Scott had to apologize.

However that was the last straw. After that incident the PGA membership convened and change the rules again and said no more Ping Eye 2 or square grooved clubs can be used in PGA tournaments. I am surprised Ping did not sue the PGA for breach of contract from an earlier out of court settlement made in 1993. Anyway they are still legal in USGA events.

I know I have looked on e-bay and know the cost of the SW and LW but I figured it was worth a shot.

R9 with 757 Speeder
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Note: This thread is 4164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!