IGNORED

Requesting tips for cold weather golf

Artimas
Note: This thread is 4173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by phan52

As long as there is no snow on the ground, I'll play all winter in the Philly area. Under Armour is a miracle fabric that keeps me pretty warm, usually a mock turtleneck under a cotton or wool sweater vest. I'll wear a fleece over that, but I usually end up taking that off during the round unless the wind is blowing, but I might not play anyway if the wind is blowing. I'll wear my Philadelphia Eagles ski cap, winter golf gloves and wide wale corduroy slacks and I'm ready to go. And, of course, I walk. Riding in a cart is crazy in cold weather. You will never warm up.

I take you haven't seen guys in carts with covers and propane heaters.  I've played with them at times when they are too warm and I have to walk a bit to cool off.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I take you haven't seen guys in carts with covers and propane heaters.  I've played with them at times when they are too warm and I have to walk a bit to cool off

Ive played with covered carts but never with heaters inside. that would be nice lol

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

As long as there is no snow on the ground, I'll play all winter in the Philly area. Under Armour is a miracle fabric that keeps me pretty warm, usually a mock turtleneck under a cotton or wool sweater vest. I'll wear a fleece over that, but I usually end up taking that off during the round unless the wind is blowing, but I might not play anyway if the wind is blowing. I'll wear my Philadelphia Eagles ski cap, winter golf gloves and wide wale corduroy slacks and I'm ready to go. And, of course, I walk. Riding in a cart is crazy in cold weather. You will never warm up.

This item is holding you back from a lower HC. So it looks like Reid is OUTA HERE! Being a Big Blue fan, I wish he would stay, him and Dog Boy. If you guys get Chucky, that will mean trouble for the rest of the NFC E.

Back on topic, as colin said, Under Armour is not the only option nor is it the best, and it is way overpriced. The important point is that your base layer must be polypropylene, as it will still insulate if it gets wet (from rain or sweat) and wicks better than anything else. I know this well from my backpacking days.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Quote:

This item is holding you back from a lower HC. So it looks like Reid is OUTA HERE! Being a Big Blue fan, I wish he would stay, him and Dog Boy. If you guys get Chucky, that will mean trouble for the rest of the NFC E.

Back on topic, as colin said, Under Armour is not the only option nor is it the best, and it is way overpriced. The important point is that your base layer must be polypropylene, as it will still insulate if it gets wet (from rain or sweat) and wicks better than anything else. I know this well from my backpacking days.

Keep in mind though that polypropylene will absorb odors, and once it gets stinky, it never seems to go away.  I found that out from MY backpacking/kayaking days.  Just another consideration.

Rick

Keep in mind though that polypropylene will absorb odors, and once it gets stinky, it never seems to go away.  I found that out from MY backpacking/kayaking days.  Just another consideration.

I guess it can get a little funky in the armpit areas, but mine washes out pretty well.

Where did you use to pack and yak?

dak4n6

i will second that. when i played hockey with that material i would sweat uncontrollably and no matter how many times i wash it i still smell "hockey gear."

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Quote:

I guess it can get a little funky in the armpit areas, but mine washes out pretty well.

Where did you use to pack and yak?

Mostly Colorado, but some in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

Rick

Mostly Colorado, but some in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

Nice. That's REAL packing and yaking. I have packed mostly the AT in the N East, and some Catskills too, and I currently yak all over the back bays here at the Jersey shore..

dak4n6

I take you haven't seen guys in carts with covers and propane heaters.  I've played with them at times when they are too warm and I have to walk a bit to cool off.

That's a little over the top. You may as well play simulated golf indoors. And I couldn't imagine going in and out of the cold. You would never get used to the conditions.

But then, I never take a cart anyway unless I am forced to.

Bill M

I used to cycle all year round. That was worse. My only tip is to walk. And walk very briskly. Play 9. Play quick.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Something that no one else has mentioned...keep yourself loose, too!  Its very easy to stiffen up when the weather is cold so just keep your back loosened up as well as your lower body...just do some dynamic movements to keep the heat up and blood flowing.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 4173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!