IGNORED

Requesting tips for cold weather golf

Artimas
Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing cold weather golf for the first time this year. I have switched to a softer ball that I keep warm in my pocket, but was wondering what other tips people may have.

I'm especially interested in what you wear to keep warm and still not be too restrictive so you have enough flexibility to play. It also seems like layers are a good idea...what do you wear on each layer?

Thanks in advance.

Long Sleeve Under Armour (or something similar) with a regular golf polo ( fairly breathable ) with a Long sleeve half zip pullover with no hood.

Compression Pants under my regular fairly thin golf pants

Stocking hat / beanie

High socks and regular golf shoes

Bringing hand warmers to put in your jacket pockets arent a bad idea either. We sometimes play at a place that doesnt have windshields on their carts so some type of face mask is definitely worth wearing. Im all for cold weather golfing so ive tried a few different things to stay warm but also loose at the same time. hope this helps.

I was actually looking into buying a set of the TM *32 gloves for cold weather. You may want to do the same or something similar. Ive never golfed with two gloves before but i dont see why it would be too big of a deal. worth a shot.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Under Armour type Cold Gear base layer. I get then from Target or Walmart because i don't throw money away. Also, invest in a good pair of very warm mittens. You'll find that you can play in almost anything if you keep your hands warm. And walk.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Artimas

I'm playing cold weather golf for the first time this year. I have switched to a softer ball that I keep warm in my pocket, but was wondering what other tips people may have.

I'm especially interested in what you wear to keep warm and still not be too restrictive so you have enough flexibility to play. It also seems like layers are a good idea...what do you wear on each layer?

Thanks in advance.

How cold?  You don't have a location posted so it's hard to guess at what you call cold.  People here where I live now would call 60° cold, but in Colorado I played in temps down to about 30°.  Aside from dressing for the weather, I never took any other precautions.  No matter how you dress, if it's cold enough your swing will be restricted, so you just adjust.  A good pair of winter golf gloves are a necessity if it's really cold, say below 45°.  I don't worry about keeping the ball warm.  It gets cold just during the play of the hole, so by the time you get to the green any warming you did between holes was just wasted effort anyway.  Just learn to adjust club choice for the weather.  Winter golf is a learning experience, but it's fun, and the courses are much less busy, so that is a distinct benefit.

If the ground is frozen, then shot choices will be very different too.  The ball will bounce harder, and not always in the direction you hope.  I found that hitting low running shots was a benefit in winter.  If the course allows it, play approach shots as run up rather than carry them all the way to the green.  It's very disheartening to watch a seemingly perfect shot land on the front of a frozen green, then bounce 30 feet in the air and end up 30 yards over the green.  Playing a half 6I punch instead of a full 8I is the sort if adjustment I make.  Again, you just have to play a bit and learn what works and what doesn't for your conditions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Thanks for the replies-

Here's what I tried so far-

I live in NJ and am planning to play into the 40s, but doubt 30s.  I played the other day in about 50 degree weather wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, a medium weight fleece covered by a Champion flannel lined pullover. I used a knit ski hat and rain golf gloves (all I had), and was warm, but felt a bit restricted. I used plain pants and my legs were fine, but if it gets colder, I'll put a layer on under the pants or get lined pants.

I am going to try an Under Armor type base layer next time and use a lighter fleece.

I also want to get a better outer layer, but am not sure what to get. Any suggestions? I've heard the Mizuno Windlite sweaters are good...

Played today in MA and it was low to mid 40s.  If there is no wind, then a warm base layer and a fleece top will be sufficient. If it does get windy in the 40s, then you need a shell too.

I was pleasant playing today with no wind.  A couple of the greens were rock hard due to frost.  So assume greens in the shade will be very hard and play accordingly.

Another help is to get those hand warmer packs and keep them in your pockets.  Stick your hands in there and keep them warm in between shots.

In the 40s, I play about 10 yards shorter with my mid irons (8 - 5), so I adjust club selection.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I dont play in cold below 40deg. as my lungs cant handle the cold as every year I get walking pneumonia and takes 2-4 months to get over it . But I have purchased Columbia's Omni-heat compression shirt and an Omni-heat half zip pull over , man these things work ! In Kansas we usually have quite abit of wind if you want to play in the cold too !

Wear the Zero Restriction winter gloves too .

I am also going to buy a Mobile Warming heated shirt or jacket , expensive but I am like a turtle , I need to crawl on a hot rock to get warm ..... LOL

http://www.columbia.com/Omni-Heat®-Reflective-Gear/Collection_Omni-Heat_Reflective,default,pg.html

http://www.mobilewarminggear.com/MW/index.php

I play down into the 30's. I don't wear a lot of clothing though as the movement keeps me warm enough. Usually an Under Armour base, a polo over it, and a ClimaProof jacket (none of which are thick). After that, just regular golf pants and shoes and one glove. When I'm on the first tee I feel a bit chilly but by the second my blood is pumping and I'm warm. By the 9th I'm usually out of the jacket and just wearing the base layer and shirt.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Originally Posted by colin007

Under Armour type Cold Gear base layer. I get then from Target or Walmart because i don't throw money away.

Also, invest in a good pair of very warm mittens. You'll find that you can play in almost anything if you keep your hands warm.

And walk.

Walking is huge, keeps you much warmer then if you ride.  I keep hand warmers in the pockets and and under armour coldgear base layer with a long sleeve colored shirt over top.. If its still cold I have a snug fleece.  Long johns when its in the 30s

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

Originally Posted by Artimas

Thanks for the replies-

Here's what I tried so far-

I live in NJ and am planning to play into the 40s, but doubt 30s.  I played the other day in about 50 degree weather wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, a medium weight fleece covered by a Champion flannel lined pullover. I used a knit ski hat and rain golf gloves (all I had), and was warm, but felt a bit restricted. I used plain pants and my legs were fine, but if it gets colder, I'll put a layer on under the pants or get lined pants.

I am going to try an Under Armor type base layer next time and use a lighter fleece.

I also want to get a better outer layer, but am not sure what to get. Any suggestions? I've heard the Mizuno Windlite sweaters are good...

I've play winter golf in NJ and I can tell you that Under Armor is definitely the way to go, top and bottom. I wear my regular golf pants on top of that and my regular golf polo, followed by a light pullover fleece with a zip-up turtleneck, and finally a light windbreaker over everything. It's important that none of the layers are bulky for mobility. I'll usually shed the windbreaker or the fleece during the round, depending on how hot I get (Under Armor is great stuff). Oh, and don't forget long socks and some kind of wrap for your ears. I use winter golf gloves, can't think of the brand off the top of my head. Also, tuck everything in layers so you don't get gaps as you move (gloves over the Under Armor sleeves and under the fleece).

I've got more advice about playing golf below freezing, but I don't think you're as crazy as I am, so I'll save it for another time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Northern Plains winter golf gear:  Stocking cap or ear band, FJ wintersof gloves, compression base layer top and bottom, long-sleeve polo, pants, a fleece and optional windshell and your rain pants.  A neck gaiter can help a LOT for regulating your temp.  Mid-20's play is okay until the wind gets over 15 m.p.h.  That is when I pack it up

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

I play into the 40s. I agree with most here saying that a good polypropylene base layer is important. On top of that I add a long sleeve polo or turtleneck, then a light sweater, and then a nylon shell. The shell does a lot for warmth even though it is thin as it keeps out wind and any other air movement. All of these layers are thin and not at all restrictive. Once your core stays warm, all you have to do is keep your head and hands warm. I always walk and tuck my hands into my pockets as I walk. This winter I'm going to get those handwarmer packets to put in my pockets.

dak4n6

I use Sun Mountain Rainflex Pants (not bulky) when it's below 45, Mizuno T-Neck, Mizuno Sweater, and a shell - Rainflex or Zero Restriction, Winter Golf Gloves, and a warm hat. If the temps warm up during the round, or there is no wind, I can usually take off the shell.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yea walking unless you have a covered cart is probably a good idea. Hand warmers is another thing.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

i play in the 20's & 30's in NJ ( if anybody knows of a single course open in N/E PA in the winter, I'd love to know about it ).       Can't wear compression wear - absolutely hate the way it fits so tightly.     I just wear long sleeved tee shirt, pull over golf shirt & sleeveless jacket over that - plenty warm & not too restrictive.    I also just wear a regular old left and right handed golf gloves - fairly easy to get used to ..

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

As long as there is no snow on the ground, I'll play all winter in the Philly area. Under Armour is a miracle fabric that keeps me pretty warm, usually a mock turtleneck under a cotton or wool sweater vest. I'll wear a fleece over that, but I usually end up taking that off during the round unless the wind is blowing, but I might not play anyway if the wind is blowing. I'll wear my Philadelphia Eagles ski cap, winter golf gloves and wide wale corduroy slacks and I'm ready to go. And, of course, I walk. Riding in a cart is crazy in cold weather. You will never warm up.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!