IGNORED

Shaft Help

Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

New to the forum, have been lurking for a while though.

Looking at a new driver in the new year, fair few new ones out, or still coming so seems to be a good time. Will be trying the fit xtreme, the covert, the 913 and the ping anser probably.

I really dont know enough about shafts yet, just hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Swing speed is about 110, (probably ranges from about 108 to 112), I launch the ball pretty high so looking to try and keep the spin down with a lower launch.

I'm aware that all of the brands have a few options that they each come with as stock, but if theres something noticably better or thats going to be much more suited to what I want going a custom fitted one doesn't bother me either.

Currently playing an old mizuno MX 500 that I got when i was only playing once in a blue moon with a stock "stiff" shaft that feels really whippy.

Thanks

Scott

go get fitted by your local pro.....more importantly than flex is you have to take into account what is the best kick point for your swing and torque of the shaft.

as for heads...totally independent tests,

.............................................................the R11s for ball speed

.............................................................the Ping Anser for best reducing spin

.............................................................the Callaway Razr Fit for both and pick of the bunch.

You might add the new Adams Super LS to your demo list - it is a mid launch, low spin driver with a low spin Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60 'ish g Shaft, and uses the slot technology on the sole for higher ball speeds on off center hits. One reviewer described it as a "religious experience." Loft is 9.5 and is fully adjustable +/- 1 degree, and has other adjustments for lie - see the Adams website.

The other version of the club - the "S" - is meant for mere mortals like me. It is higher launch and more aerodynamic, and has limited adjustability with a lighter Matrix shaft. Haven't seen a review on it by mere mortals - the high speed guys don't care for it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem is, for very review you get one guy saying this driver is amazing, you get similar for majority of all golfers. The thing is, just try out a lot of drivers. Demo days are great, if not indoor trackman fitting is really good. They can plug in different shaft combinations.

Titleist has a good shaft guide, go to there 910D2 driver page, and look at the custom booklet, they have a good chart for launch angles and spin.

So when you go to your driver fitting, or if you buy a stock driver, lets say a Titleist, with a regular flex, but you find your spinning the ball to much, you can first adjust your driver head to a lower loft. If that doesn't work, then get it reshafted, but that chart will give you a good idea as to which ones to look at. This is were getting fitted is nice, they already have golf clubs that they can plug and play golf shafts into. So you can easily find one that fits your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would really consider the Ping Anser- Nice thing is they use the real shafts and if you went with the Ahina X Stiff it would certainly give you low spin and low launch. Of course you need to fit them but I just switched to the Anser with the Ahina S (my swing speed is bit slower at 105) and this club is amazing. Brought my average spin rates down to 2475 and great launch etc...

Enjoy the search and be patient-

Dale

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah I intend on getting fitted, I just want to know my stuff going to the fitting so he can't feed me rubbish! Yeah I'm pretty keen to try the anser. I'll definitely start reading up on the Adams one too. The anser at my local had a blur shaft in it. What's that compared to the ahina?

Originally Posted by Scott Murray

The anser at my local had a blur shaft in it. What's that compared to the ahina?

If it's the Blur Red - it is a softer tip shaft and will give one more spin and launch.

The Blur Blue (original Blur) is more of a mid launch shaft with a stiffer tip than the Red.

I'd use the Red in a fairway.

Look at the Mitsubishi Site on the Ahina - but I believe it is stiffer in the tip than the Red - in comparison.

By the way you describe your swing, I'd avoid the Red.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by notsohard

go get fitted by your local pro.....more importantly than flex is you have to take into account what is the best kick point for your swing and torque of the shaft.  ...

If the shop has a fitting cart, you could try different driver heads with maybe three different screw-on shafts.

A fitter can put on the launch monitor with your current driver, get you some baseline data, and then start swapping shafts and heads.

Set up a test like this, get several good shots per cell, and use the launch-monitor data averages to find which shaft-head combo works best.

9.5* loft 10.5* loft
Shaft 1
Shaft 2
Shaft 3

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I GAME THE ZOLEX HAMMER WITH THE WORLDS BIGGEST SWEETSPOT AND WITH THE STOCK SHAFT THE SPINRATE WAS 3754 I PUT IN A DIAMANA BLUEBOARD 64 GRAM AND BROUGHT THE SPIN DOWN TO 3180 AND THE SHOT DISPERSION IS ALOT TIGHTER AS THE A MORE PENETRATING BALL FLIGHT I LOVE IT POOOOWWW!!!

I'm really hoping I can find a range/course to get fitted at that has trackman setup so I can actually see the ball flight and distance as well as the numbers. Thanks, I'll definitely set it up like that with each shaft per driver head.

Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!