IGNORED

Super Bowl Predictions

SCfanatic35
Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was like you're clueless, he didn't even say Kaepernick, he said Flacco.  Then it hit me, you were making a joke. So now I'm the clueless one.

Just refer back to my original prediction ... Flacco [iphone autocorrect tried to make me say "flaccid" - not a good sign] is going to join the "elite" ranks today, you watch. Also, after the game ray Lewis is going to kneel down at the 50 yard line and immediately ascend to heaven. ( snl reference) :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Just refer back to my original prediction ... Flacco [iphone autocorrect tried to make me say "flaccid" - not a good sign] is going to join the "elite" ranks today, you watch. Also, after the game ray Lewis is going to kneel down at the 50 yard line and immediately ascend to heaven. ( snl reference) :)

WRONG!

Gut tells me the 49ers win this one, but I would like to see the Ravens and Ray Lewis win today.   Lewis may not be the perfect role model (accused of murder, multiple kids with multiple women)but he was an outstanding linebacker and I believe an inspiration, teacher and motivator to the younger players on his team.

Too many players in the NFL are focused on themselves and getting their pay day, Lewis took guys like Reed and Suggs and helped make them better players.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I was like you're clueless, he didn't even say Kaepernick, he said Flacco.  Then it hit me, you were making a joke. So now I'm the clueless one.

Hehe, well, we'll see. Basically I'm looking at it like this: I just can't see Flacco bringing them back against that 49ers defense if the Ravens get down 14-0, 17-0 early. On the other hand, I can see Kaepernick mounting some sort of a charge in the event of an early deficit. You probably disagree.

I was sitting on a 30-26 SF prediction right after the Pats game. I think I'll stick with it.

The 49ers fatal flaw right now is David Akers. I'm hoping he won't matter, but he is a major concern for me.

For the Ravens, I think age on defense coupled with Flacco's general inaccuracies from play to play concern me. I dunno, I just think if the Niners can neutralize Torrey Smith and then do their best with Ray Rice, they will win the game fairly convincingly.

Constantine

What are your predictions about this Sunday's big game?

My prediction is that the 49ers will prevail in a close defensive battle, 17-13.

This was my first prediction.  My gut has been telling me otherwise since I posted this.  I am changing my prediction because I'm feeling it, so wipe out the original prediction like I never made it.

49ers 38 - Ravens 13

The Ravens will score their only TD in the 4th qtr. The game will be much worse than the score, Ray Lewis will get hurt early on in this game and they will show him after every play.

WRONG!

Hmmmmm. ;)

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Hehe, well, we'll see. Basically I'm looking at it like this: I just can't see Flacco bringing them back against that 49ers defense if the Ravens get down 14-0, 17-0 early. On the other hand, I can see Kaepernick mounting some sort of a charge in the event of an early deficit. You probably disagree.

I was sitting on a 30-26 SF prediction right after the Pats game. I think I'll stick with it.

The 49ers fatal flaw right now is David Akers. I'm hoping he won't matter, but he is a major concern for me.

For the Ravens, I think age on defense coupled with Flacco's general inaccuracies from play to play concern me. I dunno, I just think if the Niners can neutralize Torrey Smith and then do their best with Ray Rice, they will win the game fairly convincingly.

Lucky for the Ravens, they jumped out to a lead so they didn't have to worry about that. :)  And you got the Kaepernick charge part right.  Good call.

This was my first prediction.  My gut has been telling me otherwise since I posted this.  I am changing my prediction because I'm feeling it, so wipe out the original prediction like I never made it.

49ers 38 - Ravens 13

The Ravens will score their only TD in the 4th qtr. The game will be much worse than the score, Ray Lewis will get hurt early on in this game and they will show him after every play.

The only thing I wish was different (to confirm my prediction) was that the Niners would have scored on their last possession.  Flacco would have then had the chance to bring them down for a game winning field goal in the last minute or so.

As it was, all Flacco got to do was play a fairly boring, yet completely flawless game.  22-33 for 274 and 3 TD's, 0 INTs.

"... This was Joe Flacco's Super Bowl today, he's got the MVP, he's got the SB championship, and a big contract coming his way."  - Bommer Esiason, 45 seconds ago.

Lol, fair enough. But if the Niners scored at the end, Flacco could have also thrown a pick six, in which case I would've made a pretty sweet call. But, I was wrong, and the Ravens won.

Let's be careful though with calling Joe Flacco elite. He played a great post season and first half of the Super Bowl, but his third TD to Jacoby Jones was severely underthrown, and honestly, I have no idea how Jones got that open in the first place. One could argue that the system has kept him check, but Flacco's career statistics are average. Now, they certainly have to pay him because its not like QBs grow on trees, but I'd be wary of declaring him an elite QB, in my opinion. He and Ravens had a great run and deserve to be champs obviously, but I think in the end he's just a solid QB.

Constantine

Lol, fair enough. But if the Niners scored at the end, Flacco could have also thrown a pick six, in which case I would've made a pretty sweet call. But, I was wrong, and the Ravens won.

Let's be careful though with calling Joe Flacco elite. He played a great post season and first half of the Super Bowl, but his third TD to Jacoby Jones was severely underthrown, and honestly, I have no idea how Jones got that open in the first place. One could argue that the system has kept him check, but Flacco's career statistics are average. Now, they certainly have to pay him because its not like QBs grow on trees, but I'd be wary of declaring him an elite QB, in my opinion. He and Ravens had a great run and deserve to be champs obviously, but I think in the end he's just a solid QB.

Keep doubting Joe. Ravens players and fans love being the underdog. How'd your QB do this year?

One thing I noticed during the postgame coverage that reminded me how well coached the Ravens are; during the punt/intentional safety play - that took 8 seconds! - several blockers on the Ravens were holding like crazy.  I mean, blatant, arms around the body, virtually tackling the Niners players, type holding.  Enough of them were doing it that I have to believe they were instructed to do so.  That's just really smart.  Why?  What's the worse case scenario?  They call holding on the Ravens, back them up half the distance to the goal, and do the play again.  But what they don't do is run the time back.

No way that the Niners would be able to accept a penalty call on that play no matter what, so that was just really smart coaching in my book.

One thing I noticed during the postgame coverage that reminded me how well coached the Ravens are; during the punt/intentional safety play - that took 8 seconds! - several blockers on the Ravens were holding like crazy.  I mean, blatant, arms around the body, virtually tackling the Niners players, type holding.  Enough of them were doing it that I have to believe they were instructed to do so.  That's just really smart.  Why?  What's the worse case scenario?  They call holding on the Ravens, back them up half the distance to the goal, and do the play again.  But what they don't do is run the time back.

No way that the Niners would be able to accept a penalty call on that play no matter what, so that was just really smart coaching in my book.

And terrible coaching by the other brother.  Don't you expect them to do that?  They set up for a big return and barely rushed anyone.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

And terrible coaching by the other brother.  Don't you expect them to do that?  They set up for a big return and barely rushed anyone.

Yeah, I couldn't decide (before the play) if that was the right call or not because it was a 5 point lead.  Had it been 6, then it's a no-brainer, but at 5, you are taking a gamble because if you somehow don't get enough time ticked off then you might have just shot yourself in the foot.

Say, for example, if one guy rushed through untouched, that play could be over in 3 seconds.  A decent kick return does not take 9 seconds, meaning that you might be gifting the Niners one last shot at a long field goal.

So it was definitely a gamble, just a very well planned out one.  And, you're right, the Niners didn't seem to be expecting it.  (Of course, in all likelihood, it wouldn't have mattered because their chances were bleak anyway, but still, you gotta be prepared.)

Very well coached.............who thinks of that stuff? Im still hurting this morning as a Niner fan but I take my hat off the Ravens. Im not one of those fans who are gonna blame the officials. The Niners dug a whole to deep, Im just glad we showed who we really were and ALMOST completed the comeback. The future is bright in SF................when's training camp?

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yeah, I couldn't decide (before the play) if that was the right call or not because it was a 5 point lead.  Had it been 6, then it's a no-brainer, but at 5, you are taking a gamble because if you somehow don't get enough time ticked off then you might have just shot yourself in the foot.

Say, for example, if one guy rushed through untouched, that play could be over in 3 seconds.  A decent kick return does not take 9 seconds, meaning that you might be gifting the Niners one last shot at a long field goal.

So it was definitely a gamble, just a very well planned out one.  And, you're right, the Niners didn't seem to be expecting it.  (Of course, in all likelihood, it wouldn't have mattered because their chances were bleak anyway, but still, you gotta be prepared.)

Good point about the quick sack, but remember that the alternative is to punt from your own goal line.  If they only ran 3 or 4 seconds off, they give up 2 points, but they also move up 15 yards for the free kick, and covering a free kick is MUCH easier than a punt.

At that point, there were only two ways** for SF to win in regulation, (1) punt return td; (2) fair catch/quick short return and a hail mary.  To tie , they needed a big punt return and long FG from a guy that was really struggling.

So the free kick reduced the chances of a punt return td, made any hail mary longer (kicking from better position + better coverage), and probably ensured that there would only be one shot at the hail mary.  So the chances of losing the game were reduced.  It also made it less likely that they could get a return long enough for the game tying FG.  AND it ran at least 3 seconds off the clock, and hopefully more (in actuality, 8).  There's really no advantage to punting in that situation.

**Worst case scenario is probably the punter dropping the ball in the endzone and SF picking it up for a TD.  Rob Johnson did that in the closing minutes of the bills-titans music city cheat play.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Very well coached.............who thinks of that stuff? Im still hurting this morning as a Niner fan but I take my hat off the Ravens. Im not one of those fans who are gonna blame the officials. The Niners dug a whole to deep, Im just glad we showed who we really were and ALMOST completed the comeback. The future is bright in SF................when's training camp?

its a smart play, but not all that unpredictable.  I remember practicing the play in high school and being told to tackle the rushers.  The announcers predicted it as well.  The Angrier Harborough should have seen it coming.  It probably wouldn't have changed anything though.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Holding in the end zone or holding when the ball is in the end zone is a safety too I believe. Either way, it was a smart play.

Originally Posted by alexbaha

Quote:

Keep doubting Joe. Ravens players and fans love being the underdog. How'd your QB do this year?

You're possibly a troll since you only have 3 total posts, but I'll bite. Where did I doubt Joe? He won a Super Bowl. Amazing accomplishment. Deserves it too. But, I said he wasn't "elite." He'll get paid like he's an elite, but he's not elite. That's all. HIs career numbers backup my statement.

And yea, and the Jets are awful, and they could use Joe Flacco's services. But the Ravens weren't/aren't quite an underdog.... entering the game they were a whopping 3.5 points back in the spread. We shocked the world! Seriously, saying Flacco isn't "elite" which is a completely fair statement, does not make the Ravens underdogs.

Doesn't look like anyone wants to engage in this debate here with me though, so I'll give it up.

Constantine

Now we are in my area of expertise, football. Yes holding in your own end zone would be a safety but it makes no difference because all they cared about was running the clock down.

The hold was a smart play, but I think a flag should've been thrown and play stopped before 8 seconds ran off the clock. It may not have mattered in the end but it looks bad when guys are being tackled and refs are swallowing the whistle.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by dsc123

At that point, there were only two ways** for SF to win in regulation, (1) punt return td; (2) fair catch/quick short return and a hail mary.  To tie, they needed a big punt return and long FG from a guy that was really struggling.

So the free kick reduced the chances of a punt return td, made any hail mary longer (kicking from better position + better coverage), and probably ensured that there would only be one shot at the hail mary.  So the chances of losing the game were reduced.  It also made it less likely that they could get a return long enough for the game tying FG.  AND it ran at least 3 seconds off the clock, and hopefully more (in actuality, 8).  There's really no advantage to punting in that situation.

Exactly.  He's in a pressure game situation, while I'm sitting on my couch eating Doritos, and he's still able to run all of that through his head and make the correct decision easier and quicker than most.  Just confirms how good of a coach he is.  Nothing against little brother, he's a great coach too ... I just wanted to comment on one little, mostly insignificant play that I thought provided some insight into the mind of a good coach.  That's all. :)

Quote:

Holding in the end zone or holding when the ball is in the end zone is a safety too I believe. Either way, it was a smart play.

You're possibly a troll since you only have 3 total posts, but I'll bite. Where did I doubt Joe? He won a Super Bowl. Amazing accomplishment. Deserves it too. But, I said he wasn't "elite." He'll get paid like he's an elite, but he's not elite. That's all. HIs career numbers backup my statement.

And yea, and the Jets are awful, and they could use Joe Flacco's services. But the Ravens weren't/aren't quite an underdog.... entering the game they were a whopping 3.5 points back in the spread. We shocked the world! Seriously, saying Flacco isn't "elite" which is a completely fair statement, does not make the Ravens underdogs.

Doesn't look like anyone wants to engage in this debate here with me though, so I'll give it up.

Umm, I've seen some of your posts on football in here before, Jetfan, and that information (and the fact that your name is Jetfan) is all I need to know to avoid debating football with you.  (Hint:  I'll lose)

All of your points about Flacco are probably correct.  It just seems to me that he get's less credit than a guy who's won a playoff game in every year, and now a Super Bowl, should.  Whereas people foam at the mouth to try and call a guy like Tony Romo "elite" even though he's done nothing of importance.  (Not saying people call him elite yet, just that I get the impression that they really want to ... as soon as he does anything good)  Ironically, I have nothing against Tony Romo, or for that matter, nothing really for Joe Flacco, just an opinion.

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!