IGNORED

Top Flite Gamer v2 and Bridgestone e5

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know there are a bunch of compare and contrast threads across the intarweb but out of curiosity I ordered an ammo box of the Gamer v2's. All the great reviews and thoughts I read about them I figured, what could really go wrong? Not to mention, with my handicap, it probably doesn't matter. I currently play Bridgestone e5s and I just received my Gamer v2's today. I had my clubs in my truck from this mornings range session so I decided to grab my putter out of my truck as well as an e5 and do a little comparing of how it feels off my putter. I putted for probably the last hour of "work" since we were dead. When I got home, I grabbed my LW and tried some pitch/chip/flop shots into my couch with both balls.

I'm not that good at golf and/or knowledgeable so I wanted to put my thoughts on here as well as hear what others who have played both balls have to say.

So my thoughts are, with the putting of both balls, the e5 feels heavier and less responsive than the Gamer v2. I feel like I really had a grip on what was happening when I hit the Gamer v2. When I pulled out the LW, it was the same feeling. I feel like they have similar spin off the carpet but my differ in thicker rough or with more power/swing speed. The shot I was able to hit were only soft ones since I was going maybe like 10 feet to my couch cushion. I felt again like the Gamer v2 was more responsive and like I just felt more feedback..*shrugs* I can't wait to play these balls this weekend on the course and see what happens with my thoughts about the ball.

I have no idea how that all will sound or if any of it makes sense but they're just my thoughts.

What do those who have played both of these balls think?

--

Best,

Robert

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Let me just say too, I'm not trying to get into a "which ball is better thread war", I'm just trying to hear what others thoughts are so keep the trolling out of here.

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by robrey85

I know there are a bunch of compare and contrast threads across the intarweb but out of curiosity I ordered an ammo box of the Gamer v2's. All the great reviews and thoughts I read about them I figured, what could really go wrong? Not to mention, with my handicap, it probably doesn't matter. I currently play Bridgestone e5s and I just received my Gamer v2's today. I had my clubs in my truck from this mornings range session so I decided to grab my putter out of my truck as well as an e5 and do a little comparing of how it feels off my putter. I putted for probably the last hour of "work" since we were dead. When I got home, I grabbed my LW and tried some pitch/chip/flop shots into my couch with both balls.

I'm not that good at golf and/or knowledgeable so I wanted to put my thoughts on here as well as hear what others who have played both balls have to say.

So my thoughts are, with the putting of both balls, the e5 feels heavier and less responsive than the Gamer v2. I feel like I really had a grip on what was happening when I hit the Gamer v2. When I pulled out the LW, it was the same feeling. I feel like they have similar spin off the carpet but my differ in thicker rough or with more power/swing speed. The shot I was able to hit were only soft ones since I was going maybe like 10 feet to my couch cushion. I felt again like the Gamer v2 was more responsive and like I just felt more feedback..*shrugs* I can't wait to play these balls this weekend on the course and see what happens with my thoughts about the ball.

I have no idea how that all will sound or if any of it makes sense but they're just my thoughts.

What do those who have played both of these balls think?

--

Best,

Robert

One has a urethane cover - e5, and one does not - Gamer.

I have no issues with the e5 off the putter. It is a urethane cover and one does not compress the ball off the putter. So I tend to smile when I hear these interesting comments about rolling a ball off the putter.

Around the greens, the e5 will offer more wedge spin - urethane offers an advantage.

The e5 is not my ball of choice. The old models felt firm off full shots. They have a newer model for 2013. Here is some info:

"While the E5 is a two-piece golf ball, it features a urethane cover, a trademark of higher-priced, multi-layer golf balls. Not only does the urethane cover help the E5 spin like higher-priced golf balls around the green — it adds much needed spin with the driver as well.

The E5 also lacks the spin-reducing middle layer featured on the E6 and E7 models, which will give golfers a higher launch and more spin with their woods, hybrids, irons and wedges than the other balls in the line.

Aerodynamics: As with all the 2013 E Series golf balls, the E5 features Bridgestone’s new 226-dimple pattern. It has four less dimples than the previous pattern, which allows the surface coverage to be expanded by 2.5 percent. The E5’s dimples are also shallower than those on the 2011 E5, which gives the ball a higher trajectory for longer carry distances."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The urethane cover of the E5 really puts it over the top for me.  It spins like crazy but still has a soft enough core than almost anyone can compress it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My experience is the same as Robrey85. For whatever reason, I never liked the e5.  I get better short game spin off the gamer.

I think the only bridgestone ball i've really liked is the 330-RXS.  I think that's as good a ball as any.  But the e5, just never felt good to me.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

My experience is the same as Robrey85. For whatever reason, I never liked the e5.  I get better short game spin off the gamer.   I think the only bridgestone ball i've really liked is the 330-RXS.  I think that's as good a ball as any.  But the e5, just never felt good to me.

I think the Gamer's dimple design helps with spin alot.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

How would the Gamer's dimple design help with spin?  That doesnt make any sense.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The TF Gamer V2 suprised the sh!t out of me - Great  length (not surprising), and very soft and spinny (very surprising). The ONLY thing I don't like about them is when someone in my group asks 'what ball are you hitting', and I have to mutter 'Top Flight' under my breath so everyone else doesn't hear

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

Lol, yeah it's a great ball for the money. I expected to hate it but I liked it a lot. Just bought a box of the Gamer Tour to try. Hope the snow stays away for another day.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Lol, yeah it's a great ball for the money. I expected to hate it but I liked it a lot. Just bought a box of the Gamer Tour to try. Hope the snow stays away for another day.

Whoa!  I didn't know they expanded the line!  Looks like its a gamer with a soft cover.  And still only $25

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I play Gamer.v2, and got a ball fitting last summer when the Bridgestone people visited my golf club. The fitting data claimed that I would gain 12 yards off the tee if I switched to the three-piece e6. I never have done a 9-hole playing comparison of e6 vs. Gamer.

Comparatively, the e5 is a two-piece, and is billed as a distance ball that will have "great stopping power" because of the urethane cover. I found a couple in the trees during a scramble last year, and tried them with Gamer.v2 on practice green. Limited impression: e5 not as spinny on partial wedge shots.

Gamer.v2 is a three-piece ball with a "soft" ionomer cover, and likewise is billed as delivering both distance and control. A couple of years ago, Golf Digest suggested it was basically a performance ball for mid-spin prices. Also, GD occasionally puts out a useful chart that plots golf balls on an X-Y axis for distance and iron spin. Gamer.v2 was above average on both.

The link below says that urethane is softer than ionomer; above, TopFlite says the Gamer.v2 has a "soft" ionomer cover. Go figure... e5 possibly feels a little harder because it is two-piece?

This link discusses the structure and cover-material characteristics of golf balls:

http://www.americangolf.com/blog/golf-tips/playing-the-correct-golf-ball/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Interesting thoughts. Thanks all. My knowledge about the game is improving and I find myself wanting to know more about everything.

How would the Gamer's dimple design help with spin?  That doesnt make any sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. The dimple in dimple design works with grooves to help create spin. That along with the 3 piece design/softer feel. FWIW, ionomer is another word for surlyn. Anybody want to swap some Gamer V2 for some E5?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!