IGNORED

2013 Accenture Match Play Bracket Challenge and Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I jinxed my champion Poulter. Havent watched a minute of this live because I have been unable to. Watching live now and Mahan is dominating him. He is playing mistake free and putting all the pressure on Poulter.

Mahan/Kuchar -

Mahan has taken something with his Wheaties this year.  He and Sned are fun to track this year.

Match play format is pretty fun to watch.

(personally, it's pretty hard for me to admit I've 'enjoyed watching golf' - things have changed. )

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The fact that Mahan is doing this again, won twice last year, has truly epic Ryder Cup experience from his 2010 tough finish, and is a tough enough guy to say "I want to play anchor on the final day on the road in a Ryder Cup," it makes me all the more bitter and annoyed he was not selected by Davis Love for Medinah. What a joke.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

The fact that Mahan is doing this again, won twice last year, has truly epic Ryder Cup experience from his 2010 tough finish, and is a tough enough guy to say "I want to play anchor on the final day on the road in a Ryder Cup," it makes me all the more bitter and annoyed he was not selected by Davis Love for Medinah. What a joke.

Which one of his captain's picks would you have not made to put Mahan on the team? Stricker, Furyk, Sneds, Johnson.  I think Mahan belonged on the team because of his play at last year's accenture, but don't remember how he was playing at the time of the picks.  If the USA wouldn't have collapsed on the final day would it still have been a bad pick? Or do you feel he deserved to be on the team regardless?

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Quote:

Which one of his captain's picks would you have not made to put Mahan on the team? Stricker, Furyk, Sneds, Johnson.  I think Mahan belonged on the team because of his play at last year's accenture, but don't remember how he was playing at the time of the picks.  If the USA wouldn't have collapsed on the final day would it still have been a bad pick? Or do you feel he deserved to be on the team regardless?

I guess in retrospect, what I would do doesn't really matter, you know? But I do recall Stricker being pretty banged up around the time of the Ryder Cup, and given Furyk's zero wins last year plus all his tough finishes, I would think either guy would be the one to be bounced from the roster. No hard feelings though to either since they are great players obviously -- Mahan just probably should've been there.

Hindsight's 20-20 but a lot of people from this community were shocked to see Love's roster when it was first revealed to us.

Constantine

I guess in retrospect, what I would do doesn't really matter, you know? But I do recall Stricker being pretty banged up around the time of the Ryder Cup, and given Furyk's zero wins last year plus all his tough finishes, I would think either guy would be the one to be bounced from the roster. No hard feelings though to either since they are great players obviously -- Mahan just probably should've been there.

Hindsight's 20-20 but a lot of people from this community were shocked to see Love's roster when it was first revealed to us.

I agree with you, I would have gone with youth over Furyk or Stricker.  I thought that before the Ryder Cup started, but I guess he wanted experience over youth.

On a different note I am glad to see Kuchar in the finals of the tournament.  It will be interesting to see if the winds keep up who can play better this afternoon.  I hope Kuchar wins.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Quote:

I agree with you, I would have gone with youth over Furyk or Stricker.  I thought that before the Ryder Cup started, but I guess he wanted experience over youth.

On a different note I am glad to see Kuchar in the finals of the tournament.  It will be interesting to see if the winds keep up who can play better this afternoon.  I hope Kuchar wins.

Yea, its hard to not like a guy like Kuchar. Hating on a guy like that is like clubbing a baby seal or sucker punching Mr.Rogers. It just doesn't compute for me

I'm happy with either guy. I think it'd be pretty badass to win this event two years in a row too.

Constantine

Going to be a fun finals match, both are consistent ball strikers.

Mini rant: Silly how they still keep questioning Rory's new clubs and yet Hunter Mahan has at least 12 different clubs compared to this time last year, new irons, driver, wedges and putter.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Mini rant: Silly how they still keep questioning Rory's new clubs and yet Hunter Mahan has at least 12 different clubs compared to this time last year, new irons, driver, wedges and putter.

Yeah, I've never understood this. Do they think Rory was still using the 907 driver or something right before he switched?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'd like to see Kuchar hit a driver with them lobster claws.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by jamo

Yeah, I've never understood this. Do they think Rory was still using the 907 driver or something right before he switched?

Most pros update their bag every 1-2 years but when they do it under the same sponsor it goes mostly unnoticed.  Unless the player wins and says how great his new putter, driver is.  Obviously Rory going from Titleist to Nike is going to create some attention.  But it's not like he's going from muscle backs to game improvement irons or something.  Like I've said before, the biggest change might be the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Missed Mahan and Poulter playing.

Here's a link that describes the hole-by-hole spanking that Mahan gave him.

mini-rant: And to think, this, after the glorious build up of Poulter yesterday that made him sound like an undefeated gladiator! One announcer said, well, "If he's so good, why hasn't he got more than 2 wins on the PGA?" The other said that he didn't think Poulter could stay focused long enough for a four-day match.  Sigh.

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/feb/24/how-it-happened-mahan-beats-poulter-match-play/

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Funny to hear Peter Jacobsen correcting Johnny Miller when analyzing Hunter Mahan's swing from A7-7.5.  Johnny likes to talk about the club traveling down the target line and Jacobsen responds with "well physics mandates it goes left", in other words the club keeps moving on an arc.

Mike McLoughlin

Big birdie from Kuchar, super clutch

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Makes for a good TV ads too. Phil

Oh, does he have a new driver in the bag?

Mike McLoughlin

Does anyone know if the results of the consolation match go on the players record?

Originally Posted by mvmac

Most pros update their bag every 1-2 years but when they do it under the same sponsor it goes mostly unnoticed.  Unless the player wins and says how great his new putter, driver is.  Obviously Rory going from Titleist to Nike is going to create some attention.  But it's not like he's going from muscle backs to game improvement irons or something.  Like I've said before, the biggest change might be the ball.

May be a mental thing but I can go Eye 2-G10-G15-i20 , back and forth or in between without missing much. I have tried other brands (mostly GI) and not had the immediate success I've experienced with Ping.

I would think that the ball change should have been postponed till Rory was more comfortable with his new sticks.

David

Note: This thread is 4078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!