IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And my favourite pulls it off !

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Phil Mickelson. Never ceases to amaze me at his best or worst. Always exciting, going for it all the time.He has a highlight reel of shots that we will watch for years. I like the way he handles himself with the media and fans. Signs autographs for hours, takes young players under his wing, takes care of caddies, etc.. So many reasons make this guy the one I root for the most.

Graehme McDowell. Like his confident manner and directness.

The Mechanic. Nobody is as cool as this guy. Makes it look like he enjoys golf and life to the fullest.

Originally Posted by Steffen I

Nicklaus is a true gentleman and the greatest golfer.

THIS

IN MY BAG:

DRIVER: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus 65G S shaft
3 WOOD: TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium 3-wood 15* Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 S shaft
UTILITY: TaylorMade Stealth 19* 3 Hybrid Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S shaft
IRONS: TaylorMade P760 3-PW;/TTDyn Gold 120 S-300
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 54* TTDyn Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100 8i shaft
PUTTER: PING BeNi Scottsdale Anser or Ping BeNi Anser 4 34.5"
BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

If I had to pick my all time favorite swing, it would be Fred "Boom Boom" Couples' swing.  The tempo, the flexibility.  Amazing!

But, my all time favorite golfer has to be Lee Trevino.  Great sense of humor, great attitude, "clutch" competitor, and one ugly ass swing.  What's not to like!

I can see that our favorites depend on our exposure to the great players in our formative years.  To me that means Sam Snead.  I go back Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.  Now that the series can be obtained on DVD, I recommend that younger players purchase and watch carefully.  I would pay a thousand dollars to follow a match between any three top golfers today on a 7,000+ yard course similar to the Houston Country Club in difficulty and playing with 1950's equipment and the famous Spaulding Dot ball.  It would be an apples to apples test of golf skill.  Even in 1973, players like Johnny Miller were hitting 4-woods into number 10 at Augusta.  Jack Nicholas hit 1-irons to reach number 13.   As far as delicious swings go, Sam Snead was the Freddie Couples of his day.   I followed him in the first round of the 1973 Masters and remember clearly how effortlessly he lobbed a 6-iron onto number one green. Not only were they great shotmakers, but they were personalities, a quality that is mostly absent among the current crop of athletic pro golfers.  I think it would make for a great charity event to pit three top professionals in a match where they use equipment  available to the best players in the 50's,

Looking back on almost 60 years of watching golf on TV and reading the golf magazines, it's tough to pick just one.  I certainly was a big Arnie fan (like who wasn't!?), but looking back I might have to go with Tony Lema.  Something very cool about buying champagne for the press when he won, and Dom Perignon at that!  Nice looking swing, well-spoken, intelligent, thoroughly pleasant fellow.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Originally Posted by iacas

It can't be unfair because it's just a fact. It simply is what it is.

Your opinions of the press are irrelevant in this context.

Fact?  No.  Opinion, yes.  You are not the only person that has been outside or inside the ropes.  My opinions are not irrelevant wrt the press.  I have seen people duck the press even after a good day.  That includes me.  Disagree all you want but careful with expressions of people's thoughts being irrelevant.  That brings back into play the word "rude".

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

Fact? No. Opinion, yes.

No, I'm very careful with how I use the words "fact" and "opinion" here (and elsewhere). Phil has ducked more post-round press conferences than Tiger - far, far more. That's not an opinion - you can measure it, both as a number, as a percentage of times he's asked, etc. Tiger's ducked very, very few.

Does Tiger sign as many autographs as Phil? Not a tenth, probably. That's also a fact (that he signs less, not the actual 10% number). But I was talking about ducking press conferences.

Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

My opinions are not irrelevant wrt the press.

I disagree. And that's an opinion.

I was - again - simply pointing out that the "fact" is that Phil ducks more. I didn't attach any reasoning to it, I simply stated the fact. Your opinion of the press is irrelevant to the fact - it speaks to giving Phil an excuse.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chi Chi Rodriguez. Splinter of a man who could hit a long ball, who played to the crowds to the point that more sedate elements of the tour tried to get him to cool it down. (You may remember him sheathing his putter like a sword as he putted out.) Loved kids. Who learned to play with an old cast off club in Puerto Rico and then worked as a caddy -- the way the greats used to come up, the way Seve did not that long ago. #2 Julius Boros, opposite of Chi Chi, husky guy, easy soft swing, did not come from an impoverished background, generally looked like he was enjoying himself on the course. A quote attributed to him: "People ask me when I'm gonna retire. I fish, I play golf, what am I gonna retire to?"

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

He's also done a lot for the game. Travel to the Tampa/Clearwater area and take a look at the course and training area that he helped develope.

Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!