IGNORED

DIY Putter Refinishing

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Scotty Red X I want to refinish. Anyone know what I should use to refinish it? I am looking to black it out so if anyone has done it and has any advice, I'm looking for a little help.

R11 RIP Phenom 9.5 Deg.

910F 15 Deg. 

910H 19 Deg.

Ap2 710 5-PW Project X 6.0

54 Deg. and 60 Deg. 

Red X Custom

• 1 year later...
Hopefully somebody reads this, but I'm thinking about refinishing my versa putter. I don't have a torch but could probably get one if I had too and I also don't really wanna mess with the insert or shaft.. What kind of options would I have? I'm considering rusting it like my wedges that turned out well but have no idea if I would like it or not. Any ideas or advice

• 1 year later...
On August 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM, nick1998bunker said:

Hopefully somebody reads this, but I'm thinking about refinishing my versa putter. I don't have a torch but could probably get one if I had too and I also don't really wanna mess with the insert or shaft.. What kind of options would I have? I'm considering rusting it like my wedges that turned out well but have no idea if I would like it or not. Any ideas or advice

Same here...have a 69 model Ping MyDay I won't to clean, smooth out the bag chatter and polish. I also have some Cleveland 588 RTGs that are rusty, like I want them, but needs some polishing

image.jpeg

Driver: Titleist - 910 D2; 10.5*
3-Wood: TaylorMade - Burner Superfast; 15*
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics - XGC3 3-AW
Wedges: PING -56* & 60* Pro Wedges BlkDot
Putter: PING - G2i My Day
Ball: Bridgestone TOUR B330‑RX
Bag: PING - Hoofer 2 - Red/White/Blue
Shoe: Footjoy - Classic Brown Leather

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2013 at 6:58 AM, SRGOLFER43 said:

I have a Scotty Red X I want to refinish

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 5:27 PM, nick1998bunker said:

Hopefully somebody reads this

3 hours ago, Foot-Wedge said:

Same here...

Refinishing DIY articles are all over the web. Basically you will need a few basic supplies and a drill. (a bench grinders works great, but need to adjust RPM to a lower speed)

Supplies are available at GolfWorks - http://www.golfworks.com/search.asp_Q_ipp_E_5000_A_t_E_c_A_c_E_30 

It's not really very difficult, you could buff by hand with durable soft rags/towels. A bench vise helps, or the old "workmate" bench. Dremel's are useful for details.

Also, there are many club refinishers who are reputable, experienced and usually lower costs than returning to manufactures.

Some items around the house work well. Brillo pads, souring pads, fine sand paper, stainless polish, goop hand cleaner to name a few.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys!  I'll have to try out, or check out the interweb articles on refinishing and check out the black oxide finish for pitting

I read about guys, probably over 10 years ago, and they would pour Coca-Cola into a can and put their putter head into it for a soak ... apparently Coke eats everything. Then they would buy some gun blue ... if you search, you will find.

My preference, with so many guys doing this professionally, would be to send it to someone... Scott does have a custom shop; Tom Slighter refinishes putters, as do many others at varying prices. I remember BOS - Black Oxide Service - too.. http://www.bosgolf.com/finishes-and-prices

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

17 minutes ago, Foot-Wedge said:

for pitting

Rather than fill the pitts, with black oxide, you could use a sanding block to smooth the surface.

Alloys used in putters are easy to re-surface.
Start with a 80 grit and next step to 120 grit, then a 200. If you want a smoother surface finish with 400 grit.

It also knocks off dings and other marks.

Then apply the black oxide as the last step.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Rather than fill the pitts, with black oxide, you could use a sanding block to smooth the surface.

Alloys used in putters are easy to re-surface.
Start with a 80 grit and next step to 120 grit, then a 200. If you want a smoother surface finish with 400 grit.

It also knocks off dings and other marks.

Then apply the black oxide as the last step.

Worked on "polishing" some yesterday with a wire brush drill attachment and brasso.  I'll have to try the sanding block grits to get some pitting out.  IDK how brass and black oxide work together...good or in-different?

Ping-After-back.jpg

Ping-After-face.jpg

Edited by Foot-Wedge
forgot text

3 hours ago, Foot-Wedge said:

IDK how brass and black oxide work together...good or in-different?

Here's an old thread - http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/14700-rust-on-black-oxide-putter/

I'm just guessing, Black Oxide would make the Brass color a darker finish?

Here's some info on www.puttertalk.com  and also http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index.php/topic,4596.0.html

Also check out - http://www.torreyrat.com/Club_Refinishing.html and http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/articles/custom-shop-finishes.aspx  and  http://www.bosgolf.com/finishes-and-prices.

13 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Your a gentleman and a scholar! ?

Another thought, if you have access to a sand blaster, they are quick and do an incredible job.

Or find a local company, if you prep the club (tape the hosels, and lower six inches of the shaft) they are really reasonable.

Part of the beauty of the MyDay is the BeCu. I'd take off the dirt and the dings and leave color as is. I remember those putters as being fairly light. good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!