IGNORED

My Swing (buckshot4227)

buckshot4227
Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks Mike!  I will work on weakening the grip.  I watched the video you linked, makes sense.  Only thing I am worried about is if I weaken the grip is my swing path going to move more out to in?  I think it is in to out now, but not as much as I would like it to be?  I think I have a small over the top move to start the down swing, and than drop the club under at the end of my down swing to try and get the swing path in to out.  Is that what it looks like to you?  I like to play a push draw, correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between a push and a push draw is that my swing path isn't enough in to out.  Thanks again Mike.

My take would be that you are weakening your grip in order to get to neutral or slightly strong.  An actual weak grip could cause some path, Key #3 issues.

Here's what I see with your swing.  Weight gets too far back on your heels and causes you to load the shaft too shallow.  You go "shallow" to "steep".

A3 on the left, A5 on the right

Below, note the weight is more in the center of the foot, helping the club load "steeper".  So I would suggest feeling the weight more on your toes in order to find a happy medium for now.  Also stick the butt out less, tailbone will feel a little "tucked" at address.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on key 4.  Before Mike said I was to shallow to steep so I have been working on that.  What do you guys think of the right elbow?  Does that do anything even remotely close to what it is suppose to do?

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Working on key 4.  Before Mike said I was to shallow to steep so I have been working on that.  What do you guys think of the right elbow?  Does that do anything even remotely close to what it is suppose to do?

I'm not sure if it's your priority piece, but since you asked, it looks like you're pulling the right elbow behind you. The only thing your right elbow needs to do is to bend, which lifts the club. Depth is achieved by the turn.

Check out this video:

Also, this one demonstrates the same concept. Note how Mike's right arm stays "in front" of him:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Im not sure what my priority piece is.  I believe it is having a full shoulder turn by stretching my right hip and leg.  I have got that to a point that we moved on to the next step which is to keep my arms more in front of me in the back swing.  I was just having a hard time understanding the position of the right elbow and if that is the key to me keeping my arms more out in front of my body.  After watching these videos I think that might be the key.  What do you think about the take away?  Am i taking the club to far out away from me?  I am doing this in an attempt to get my back swing steeper.  Dont know if this is the correct way to do that or not.  Thanks for the reply and the helpful videos.

Im not sure what my priority piece is.  I believe it is having a full shoulder turn by stretching my right hip and leg.  I have got that to a point that we moved on to the next step which is to keep my arms more in front of me in the back swing.  I was just having a hard time understanding the position of the right elbow and if that is the key to me keeping my arms more out in front of my body.  After watching these videos I think that might be the key.  What do you think about the take away?  Am i taking the club to far out away from me?  I am doing this in an attempt to get my back swing steeper.  Dont know if this is the correct way to do that or not.  Thanks for the reply and the helpful videos.

So I see the head going forward, towards the ball, on the backswing. Makes the hands work out, why it's hard to "steepen" the shaft on the backswing. I would recommend making practice backswings with the forehead against a wall. Note how it feels to keep the head from pressing into the wall, might feel like you stretch more than you turn.

To help with the arm stuff, put tees under each arm pit when you practice. Allows you work on it without "thinking" about it.

Mike McLoughlin

I thought your post 15 swing looked much better than post 20 at the 9 o'clock position.In post 20 the club head is way outside the hands with the club face almost facing the ground.It looks like you are trying to make some compensating move but have overdone it.I can't really see what what you are doing with that right hand but I suspect it's hurting you.At one point it looked like it was turned too much to the right with the Hogan swing breaker index finger likely controlling things.You and Zack don't look the same at 9 o'clock on the takeaway.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Keeping the club way outside my hands was an attempt to keep my arms more out in front of me, opposed to getting sucked behind me.  I think I will drop that move and just focus on the right elbow.  Does that sound like a good plan?  Brian(my evolvr instructor) gave me some feels to try and nail this piece down, but I havent had to much success with any of them yet.  I have tried the tees under the arm pits before, and he wanted to move away from that drill.  Not sure why, but I am guessing because I was over doing it and keeping my elbow attached to my side.  In my last lesson, he mentioned trying to put a tee between the edge of my pec and right arm.  I think I will give that a go and post another video here and see if I am moving in the right direction.  Thanks guys.

I never liked these tees and towels and things stuffed under armpits exercises.I can't really tell but do you have a baseball grip or at least the right index finger and thumb in that fashion? We can all see you have that over the top move when you get to the top which I guess you want to fix-is that right? On take away you are waving the club away with your left wrist/hand,that should be in a cupped mode,not flat wristed at that point..On the downswing the club has gone way past parallel to the ground when the hands reach the right thigh.

I don't think you should assume you have it all right and just need a tweak,I think there is a bit more involved but your swing rhythm says you are at least on the dance floor.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

I dont know what I do or dont do right.  That is why I am on evolvr and also why I am posting on here.  What I am working on right now is shoulder turn, which I think I have close to where it needs to be, and the new piece is keeping my arms more out in front of my body rather than pulling them behind me on the back swing.  I think the key, for me, to keeping my arms more out in front will be the right elbow.  Brian gave me a feel of trying to keep the elbow close to my belly button.  Between that and the tee, hopefully I can get it figured out.  Thanks again.

I dont know what I do or dont do right.  That is why I am on evolvr and also why I am posting on here.  What I am working on right now is shoulder turn, which I think I have close to where it needs to be, and the new piece is keeping my arms more out in front of my body rather than pulling them behind me on the back swing.  I think the key, for me, to keeping my arms more out in front will be the right elbow.  Brian gave me a feel of trying to keep the elbow close to my belly button.  Between that and the tee, hopefully I can get it figured out.  Thanks again.

ok,but are you using any kind of baseball grip?

Like I said, just watch the way that head works on the backswing. Just from personal experience, tough to keep the right arm from sliding behind you when you're "falling" forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Like I said, just watch the way that head works on the backswing. Just from personal experience, tough to keep the right arm from sliding behind you when you're "falling" forward.

Yep, my only thoughts will be keep the head back away from the ball and keeping the right elbow in front of my body.  Hopefully these will help me.  What do you guys think about over doing things.  For example:  instead of trying to feel like my head is staying still and not move forward, I actually start pulling my head back away from the ball for a couple of days of practice?  Good idea or bad idea?

ok,but are you using any kind of baseball grip?

No I have an interlocking grip.

What do you think about this?  I just want to make sure I am practicing the right things.  I feel like I have been getting worse of late and I dont want to take a step backwards.  I also dont want to waste a whole bunch of time ingraining improper moves like I have been for the past 3 yrs.  My first priority piece was shoulder turn, and my new priority piece is working on key 4 by keeping my arms in front of my body on the back swing.  I was really focusing on the right elbow on this swing.  Does that look better?  I also notice that I am still pretty shallow on my back swing.  Does this have to do with the way my wrist are working, or should I feel like I am getting my hands higher at the top of the back swing and not so deep?  Sorry for all the questions.  I am just having a hard time grasping how I should be working on keeping my arms more in front.  Thanks

Well Hello Mr golf swing,where have you been hiding...I honestly had to check to make sure I was looking at the same person.....whaaa happened???....seriously!

I also notice that I am still pretty shallow on my back swing.

Obviously, @mvmac can answer your questions better, but just for fun ...

I don't know that I'd call your swing plane shallow, necessarily, on the backswing, but I would say that it gets steeper at the start of the downswing.  I do something similar that I am trying to correct by palmar flexing my left wrist at the top ("revving").  Another feel I'm trying is to feel like the club passes really close to my right leg on the downswing.

Keep in mind, I have no idea if this is a priority for you (I didn't go back and read your whole thread, just wanted to sort of get it back on track from the last couple of posts) but if it turns out that it is, those are a couple of things to try.  Cheers.

What do you think about this?  I just want to make sure I am practicing the right things.  I feel like I have been getting worse of late and I dont want to take a step backwards.  I also dont want to waste a whole bunch of time ingraining improper moves like I have been for the past 3 yrs.  My first priority piece was shoulder turn, and my new priority piece is working on key 4 by keeping my arms in front of my body on the back swing.  I was really focusing on the right elbow on this swing.  Does that look better?  I also notice that I am still pretty shallow on my back swing.  Does this have to do with the way my wrist are working, or should I feel like I am getting my hands higher at the top of the back swing and not so deep?  Sorry for all the questions.  I am just having a hard time grasping how I should be working on keeping my arms more in front.  Thanks

That's a solid swing. Your elbow looks great and your head is not coming "through the wall," anymore. Nice work! Just keep doing what you're doing.

You are still shallow to steep, but you're pointing at the ball during the downswing, so I'm not sure that's your priority. Do you have a recent face on video?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Better with the head. I like the depth of the arms, much better than the previous swing. Keep doing that but practice it with rotating the forearms much less. Might even feel like you rotate your left forearm counter clockwise, emphasis that it's a feel. Might also feel that the left elbow is pointing towards the ground at A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing).

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!