IGNORED

My Swing (buckshot4227)

buckshot4227
Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 12-13

My typical ball flight is: high and inconsistent(would like to play a push draw)

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: changes every couple weeks and havent played since August due to weather

Over the winter I have been taking 50-100 swings a day at a rubber tee.  I have worked on keeping the club head squarer on the take away(I had a tendency to open it)  and shortening my backswing.  I believe I have grooved both of those into my swing.  Lately I have been working on more hip slide.

The issues I see in the videos above are, 1)  losing posture, my butt coming off the wall   2)  looks like my right heel comes off the ground way to early,  is this due to early hip rotation?  Also I've been having pain in my lower right back.  Do you see anything that could be causing this.  Thank you

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Two threads for you to read:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture/

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee/

The latter will help you to make a more centered and BIGGER torso turn.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you so much for the info.  I have been trying to learn this game on my own and I have kind of hit a wall.  This is the first time I have ever had anyone help me with my swing.  The flexed rear knee is a result of me swaying off the ball in my back swing when I first started playing this game.  It was easier for me to keep my weight on my instep when I would think about locking that knee in place.

I will definitely work on these things and post another video asap.  Its going to be another inside video swinging at a rubber tee.  I know that isnt the best way to practice, but as of now it is all I have to work with.  Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

I am strongly considering trying evolvr.  I am in the process of getting something set up in my garage.  Already have the mat and the tarps just need to get 10 free minutes so I can set it up(probably tomorrow night).  My question is if I need a better camera to properly capture my swing?  Thanks.

Originally Posted by buckshot4227

My question is if I need a better camera to properly capture my swing?  Thanks.

Certainly couldn't hurt but it'll work ok.  Make sure to trim the video to where we just see the swing, just makes things more simple for instructors uploading and viewing the video.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks again for the links.  I got the mat and tarps set up in my garage, Ive been able to hit 100-200 balls a day since Tuesday, with very limited back pain!  I will have to get another video posted to make sure I am not getting my butt tucked to far under.  I was wondering if anyone could give me a tip on ball striking.  I have never paid much attention to where I hit the ball on the club face.  Since I have been hitting a lot of balls into a net I thought this would be something I should pay attention to.  Well the results are in...... I hit the ball all over the face.  Sometimes I get in a groove and hit a bunch in a roll off the toe, than it will switch to the heel, and sometimes I will be lucky enough to find the center of the face.  Any tips on hitting the ball in the center of the face more often than not?  Would really like to address this before I can get out there and play a round.  Lucky for me ,  it looks like I have a month or so to nail this down.

Certainly couldn't hurt but it'll work ok.  Make sure to trim the video to where we just see the swing, just makes things more simple for instructors uploading and viewing the video.

Really? I've never done this because I thought I read on the evolvr directions that you guys wanted the unedited videos? Have I been a big pain in the rear all this time?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Really? I've never done this because I thought I read on the evolvr directions that you guys wanted the unedited videos? Have I been a big pain in the rear all this time?

I'll send you a PM, you're all good

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have come across something that I have been doing wrong for the whole 2 years I have been playing, I want to run it across you guys before I get to excited.

History: when I first started playing I hit big banana slices.  I quickly realized I was losing a ton of yardage and wanted to fix it.  I knew I needed to get the club head closed relative to swing path to fix this.  What I have done over the past few years is, adapted a very strong grip, and tried to get the club head coming more from the inside.  I have made these changes and  pretty much eliminated the slice(sometimes i will hit a push slice off the tee, but cant remember the last time i have hit a pull slice), but I have caused new problems.  I believe my main issue, and always has been, is the releasing of the club!  I will explain my issues and hopefully somebody can help me and let me know if I am on the right track.

My misses are very inconsistent, but the ones that I find I hit the most are,  Pull hooks(sometimes pushes) with my longer clubs 6i-driver.  I believe this is caused by my weight hanging back and my hands flipping(rolling over) in  an attempt to square the clubface.  With my shorter irons, 7i-56 degree, my main miss is a push.

I read this and believe this is what I do.  I am not sure if you can tell from my videos:

"Another result of a strong grip is what I call the "Left Side Twistaway". The left hip pulls hard away from the ball which pulls the left shoulder open and causes a big outside to in swing path with the HANDS. With a strong grip though the CLUBHEAD comes from the inside so what you have is and inside to out clubhead direction and an outside to in hand direction. If timed perfectly it can produce a straight shot, but if not then there will be dramatic changes in ball flight from swing to swing."

I have read about the release on this site, and for the most part, everyone agrees that one should not consciously roll their forearms to release the club, but what if one has developed a habit of holding off?  Again I dont know if you can tell from the videos if I do this.  I got a chance to hit at an indoor range yesterday, and the two swing thoughts I had to start the downswing was first, slide hips toward target, second release the club(roll right forearm over left), I was striping the ball.

Just wondering if I am on the right path or way off base.  I hope I am some where in between.  It felt to easy to be right. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for all replies.

Been working on the posture.  In the dtl view you can see I have a little over the top move with my hands,  tempo is a little quick and the transition isnt very smooth.  Still need to free up my knees.  Other than that, you see anything else that needs to be adressed?  Thanks

I was wondering if taking the club head to far inside my hands on the take away is what is causing my over the top move to start my down swing?  If I kept the clubhead more to the outside, I think I can get rid of that over the top move, but I dont want to groove an improper fix.  Thank you.

• 8 months later...

Any thoughts on the closed club face at the top?  My miss tends to be a push, push fade.  My stock shot is a push draw.  Don't hook it to often and hardly ever pull it(I know on the dtl swing above, I hit a low pull shot, but that is rarely the case).  I have a stronger grip and was thinking of weakening it to fix the club face at the top, but I already have a tendency to leave the club face open with my strong grip.  Should I cup my wrist at the top?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Any thoughts on the closed club face at the top?  My miss tends to be a push, push fade.  My stock shot is a push draw.  Don't hook it to often and hardly ever pull it(I know on the dtl swing above, I hit a low pull shot, but that is rarely the case).  I have a stronger grip and was thinking of weakening it to fix the club face at the top, but I already have a tendency to leave the club face open with my strong grip.  Should I cup my wrist at the top?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

It's probably a grip issue, either left hand showing too many knuckles or the right hand is too far "under" the grip.  Look at the wrist alignments, looks good and already has a little cup.  Wouldn't fool around with manually adjusting the wrist conditions, just doesn't make sense imo, especially since your miss is a push cut.

A "weaker" grip, compared to what you have now, will help the the face point more left at impact, stronger grips will tend to have the face aimed more right ward.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike!  I will work on weakening the grip.  I watched the video you linked, makes sense.  Only thing I am worried about is if I weaken the grip is my swing path going to move more out to in?  I think it is in to out now, but not as much as I would like it to be?  I think I have a small over the top move to start the down swing, and than drop the club under at the end of my down swing to try and get the swing path in to out.  Is that what it looks like to you?  I like to play a push draw, correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between a push and a push draw is that my swing path isn't enough in to out.  Thanks again Mike.

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!