IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

@iacas , @Ernest Jones , @Stretch

Is this a little better? It feels more armsy.

An aside, I'm mystified how some people get secondary axis tilt at the top of the backswing without moving their head.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas , @Ernest Jones , @Stretch Is this a little better? It feels more armsy. An aside, I'm mystified how some people get secondary axis tilt at the top of the backswing without moving their head.

@nevets88 I am happy to provide an extra set of eyes but keep in mind that I ain't qualified to teach squat! Having said that, I think that looks MUCH better. I'll leave the final word with the pros but I suspect that if you can do that in a full swing your key#1 is solid. Doesn't look too handsy to my untrained eye, you have a pretty full turn by A3. I bet you really feel that extra bit of side bend/stretch from A3 to A4 now eh?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks @Ernest Jones , ya, feel much more wound up. No way to take a big backswing this way. Head is still going back a bit, but less I think. My thinking is that with less head translation, it'll be easier to get the hands to the ball at A6.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Is this a little better? It feels more armsy.

An aside, I'm mystified how some people get secondary axis tilt at the top of the backswing without moving their head.

Thanks @Ernest Jones , ya, feel much more wound up. No way to take a big backswing this way. Head is still going back a bit, but less I think. My thinking is that with less head translation, it'll be easier to get the hands to the ball at A6.

Not an amount to worry about, yeah.

P.S. You could still over-swing by folding your elbows and wrists too much. But go with this - it looks great.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I took a week off because I felt I hit a wall that made the Great Wall of China look like a dollhouse's white picket fence. Had zero compunction to go to the range. Coming back, I felt refreshed and I think I learned a couple of new things.

When I make a better backswing when I feel like I'm not turning the lower body and just getting the hands in and up (really up) and left shoulder back. It's like the X-Factor, which I know has been revised w/caveats but perhaps I've been making such a big hip turn on the backswing, I've been overdoing letting the left hip go. It feels like only my arms are working the backswing when it looks "right" on video. I'm thinking, left shoulder back, lock left hip, hands in, keep right arm over left.

The ugly lunge follow through I have. When I just let the arms swing around me on the follow through, without turning the shoulders towards the target, it looks more like the finishing swing of good players.

Still working on not translating the head back, I can do it without the ball, and like 1/10 times with a ball. When I see I do a 3/4 swing, it feels like a chip shot. It's really ... f**king ... hard ... not to overswing. If I could stop just past A3 all the time, I'd be golden... I think.

Also, I think I'm finally beginning to understand better what instructors like @iacas meant when they told me to fire the arms, karate chop.

Better backswing? Lungy follow through.

No ball practice slow swing

Lunge follow through - bowling for pars! Trying to drive arms - drive everything along with them.

Shank - trying to drive right shoulder too much?

Less lungy, more arms

Reverted to old bs, but better follow through?

Errr, still translating back - get arms higher?

Steve

Head translating back a tad less. Still need to fire arms more.

Steve

Head going forward and down at the start, not getting hips forward enough, look really static-y. Flip city follow through. Gotta keep workin' it.

Steve

• Administrator

Head going forward and down at the start, not getting hips forward enough, look really static-y. Flip city follow through. Gotta keep workin' it.

Dude, don't be too picky.

Let your left shoulder go a bit more horizontal during the takeaway. Hips are far enough forward, but could be a teeny bit more. Keep this up, and don't be too picky. This is looking very good.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Dude, don't be too picky. Let your left shoulder go a bit more horizontal during the takeaway. Hips are far enough forward, but could be a teeny bit more. Keep this up, and don't be too picky. This is looking very good.

Awesome. So keep this up and it'll be less flippy?

Steve

Yeah keep that torso turning, try to get to 80-90 degrees by A3.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

My best key #1 I think, ever. Last swing of the session - had a half bucket of balls left but had to leave them because of family commitments. Grrrr.... Also, so busy, forgot to wear my golf shoes - those are my street shoes.

Still something funky going on post impact I feel. Can't seem to get the hands all the way behind the head on the follow through.

Not sure which is better. Head is steadier on right though.

Steve

Looks better to me. Camera angles are different, so the left one will look slightly under turned, right one slightly more turned but better for sure.

I think a good way for you to practice this piece is to get the right side of your head against a door jam or even one of those poles in the background and make slow swings, getting 90 degrees of turn by A3 without you head bumping into the pole.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Gonna do this drill more. Hold backswing in place for a bit, then go. Can get that right hip up higher.

a

Steve

Nice work there, keep doing that. Just make sure to transfer forward on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Nice work there, keep doing that. Just make sure to transfer forward on the downswing.

Thanks. Hope all is well re: wildfires @mvmac . Heard they are dying down.

My tendency is to throw everything forward (esp. upper body)  if I try and transfer forward, but to me, it's pretty glaring on that video that I'm not getting forward enough. Instead of using a pole to keep the head from going back in the BS, I could use it to keep from going forward post impact?

Steve

Thanks. Hope all is well re: wildfires @mvmac. Heard they are dying down.

Everyone is good thanks. Got scary for a little bit but things seem to be under control for now.

Instead of using a pole to keep the head from going back in the BS, I could use it to keep from going forward post impact?

Yeah I struggle with the same thing. The pole feel is a good idea. Really "press" into that left foot so the left knee stays flexed a little longer. Will allow you to push the hips up and forward on the followthrough.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Camera angle shows a good shaft angle at impact, not sure where the flipping your talking about is happening, we have to release the club at some point

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition