IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

• Administrator

Good, man. Good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance wedges (40 - 100) suck, weight hanging back, fat them, that will get better w/more rounds and practice. Putting is good. Full swing is hot and cold, path still too out. I hate f**king driver. Hate that club.

2714047_UTzcOCIi.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Should have done this earlier, noticed I was fatting my irons last round, next practice session will hit driver, 7I, driver 7I, etc... to get better at flipping between hitting up and down on the ball.

Also noticed on finesse wedges my hips were going forward on the backswing, will work on keeping hips in place for short game shots as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Should have done this earlier, noticed I was fatting my irons last round, next practice session will hit driver, 7I, driver 7I, etc... to get better at flipping between hitting up and down on the ball.

That's a good idea. I like to switch clubs and targets on the range just so I don't get into a groove with one specific club and start hitting the ball well based on timing.

Do you feel a difference from swinging up and down from driver to irons? I feel like the ball position on the driver takes care of the up for me and I'm just reaching impact later in the arc. I find I do better feeling like there's one swing feel, otherwise there are too many swing thoughts and my driver is all over the place (even more than usual).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Do you feel a difference from swinging up and down from driver to irons? 

I feel more hands ahead of the ball. I dunno, I hit driver okay, I fat my irons. I should use video on the course.

Steve

Played better, although I still hit two shanks, a 6I on the par 3 was the blowup hole, I kind of talked myself into a shank, by saying to myself, don't shank it. That hole is my nemesis anyways. Last hole converted to par 3 from 4 because course still recovering from PGA. Drove it well and hit irons better. I don't know why my putting got so much better, and without much practice at all, although I did do some work with the Visio. I'd like to get through one 9, not even 18, without a shank. The fix to the fats was right side was collapsing, so worked on left side down a little more from 4 while not letting right hip push down to ground, more level turn. I suppose I should be happy to break 40, but it doesn't really count.

2722603_UHWxi4OP.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

26 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Played better, although I still hit two shanks, a 6I on the par 3 was the blowup hole, I kind of talked myself into a shank, by saying to myself, don't shank it. That hole is my nemesis anyways. Last hole converted to par 3 from 4 because course still recovering from PGA. Drove it well and hit irons better. I don't know why my putting got so much better, and without much practice at all, although I did do some work with the Visio. I'd like to get through one 9, not even 18, without a shank. The fix to the fats was right side was collapsing, so worked on left side down a little more from 4 while not letting right hip push down to ground, more level turn. I suppose I should be happy to break 40, but it doesn't really count.

2722603_UHWxi4OP.png

So you take par + handicap on 9 and you still card what, 41? You scored well.

You're too hard on yourself.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

So you take par + handicap on 9 and you still card what, 41? You scored well.

The shank is still there though. Have had so many instructors look at it. But getting a better feel for the swing as an athletic movement, so feeling hopeful. But I feel very fortunate to be playing at all given how my bad my back was for a month.

Steve

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The shank is still there though.

Ok but you shanked it a couple of times and still carded a good 9-hole score. You're focusing on the wrong things IMO.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Have had so many instructors look at it.

Have you ever considered this might be part of the problem?

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

But I feel very fortunate to be playing at all given how my bad my back was for a month.

Yea see this is focusing on the right things IMO. You played well, not perfect, but well despite a few miscues and your back held up fine. That's focusing on the positives.

How is your back BTW?

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Ok but you shanked it a couple of times and still carded a good 9-hole score. You're focusing on the wrong things IMO.

Have you ever considered this might be part of the problem?

Yea see this is focusing on the right things IMO. You played well, not perfect, but well despite a few miscues and your back held up fine. That's focusing on the positives.

How is your back BTW?

I think it'll hold up to 18 holes now. Cross fingers. Will try 18 soon. 

Yeah, maybe too many instructors in my head.

Oh yeah, this 9 took 2 hours, a little less. Last one took 3. Soooo much better, obviously, but it's basically luck to get shorter rounds these days. I think it might have helped with the scoring as well.

Steve

• Administrator
7 hours ago, billchao said:

Agree.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

2722603_UHWxi4OP.png

That is a good round Steve. Look at your GIR and scrambling. Bad shots happen, especially on Par 3s. We are so convinced we should be on the green off the tee. But unless it is a short one, they are difficult holes.

Lately, I have been doing partial shots on Par 3 holes, like a 3/4 shot with 2 club up. So a 120 yard hole would be 3/4 8 iron (140). 

I also have a nemesis Par 3 on my league course, a downhill 175 yard with a hazard on the left (my miss is a overdraw, yikes!) and bunkers short right. Add to it, the greens are very firm, so even landing on the green, the ball can roll off. It makes me crazy. So I try to just get off with just a bogey.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Key #4 getting better, getting consistent with getting clubhead less behind and under ball near impact. I think I need to move that bucket to the right more.

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That is a good round Steve. Look at your GIR and scrambling. Bad shots happen, especially on Par 3s. We are so convinced we should be on the green off the tee. But unless it is a short one, they are difficult holes.

Lately, I have been doing partial shots on Par 3 holes, like a 3/4 shot with 2 club up. So a 120 yard hole would be 3/4 8 iron (140). 

I also have a nemesis Par 3 on my league course, a downhill 175 yard with a hazard on the left (my miss is a overdraw, yikes!) and bunkers short right. Add to it, the greens are very firm, so even landing on the green, the ball can roll off. It makes me crazy. So I try to just get off with just a bogey.

Thanks Scott. Another positive takeaway is I hit a decent shot after the shank, so I gotta learn not to talk myself into one. I was thinking about clubbing up, but decided on the harder swing. Still not sure what to do on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I think I need to move that bucket to the right more.

What are you using that bucket for? Isn't that going to encourage you to shift the sweetspot out?

Bill

My Swing Thread

48 minutes ago, billchao said:

What are you using that bucket for? Isn't that going to encourage you to shift the sweetspot out?

I was coming from the inside too much. There’s also a pivot drill the pro gave me that actually helps with the shanks, more rotation. 

Steve

Played first 18 since playing w/East Coasters at Union Vale. Hit two shanks, one 7I and one 30 yard chip which luckily ricocheted off a golf cart into the green. Again, 1st and last holes converted to par 3s, one a 75 yarder and the last an uphill into the wind 200-210 yarder. Couldn't find the right lines on putts, speed was off, full swing was meh too. Back is actually ok, not sore at all. I think I lost a little concentration on the back nine, the pace slowed up and maybe a little... lackadaisical.

2724665_DMObqO9Y.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Back is actually ok, not sore at all.

Good!

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Good!

For just a second, I thought I might have had to go under the knife there.

• Like 1

Steve