IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

For just a second, I thought I might have had to go under the knife there.

Avoid that. PT and/or good core stability work can do wonders. Sometimes the back just needs time to heal too.

Good round BTW.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Avoid that. PT and/or good core stability work can do wonders. Sometimes the back just needs time to heal too.

Good round BTW.

Yes, I've been stretching and doing core work twice a day. 

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Played Bethpage Red, twilight, got in 11 holes, forgot Game Golf, replayed holes 2 and 3 due to slow play, so not sure what GG would have done with that, too dark the last 2 holes. Didn't keep score, but played OK, still heel bound, but noticed I do tend to snatch the club more when contact is towards heel. Almost got to the par 5 5th in 2 w/3H, 10 yards short of green, driver better, also weakened grip in both hands for < 100 yard SWs significantly, hitting the distance and finesse wedges better, distance control wise. Putter is bad now, distance control dodgy. Tried using Blast Golf to dial in the putter accel profile, but don't like the interface. What I really want is a poor man's Sam Puttlab.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

38 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Putter is bad now, distance control dodgy. Tried using Blast Golf to dial in the putter accel profile, but don't like the interface. What I really want is a poor man's Sam Puttlab.

Just get a SAM putting lesson.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Just get a SAM putting lesson.

Yeah, good idea. I'm gonna do that. Maybe I'll try Pete's in LI. Is there someone you like in NJ?

Steve

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Is there someone you like in NJ?

Not anymore.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Not anymore.

Lol, he hasn't been back in awhile, has he?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Key number 4 more direct path to the ball, but could shift the "plane" in like 1/2 an inch. I suspect the heel is always gonna be in play for me. Still trying to figure it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

I think I figured out something about the shanks. Trail arm extends too early from around A6 and towards the ball, putting the heel in play. 

I was watching a bunch of videos from Tyler Ferrell about the wipe, basically keeping the elbows going in sync w/torso as it rotates, a little across. First wipe, then straighten the arms. I tried this and the towards the heel tendency was mitigated and could purposely hit towards the toe. Will have to wait and see how long this sticks and what happens as more speed as added. Works with the driver pretty good, which is where the heel hits are the most frustrating. Swings on video looked better and dry erase on clubhead verified better contact.

The stuff I was working on with Cogorno is still there as evinced in video, going into the ball from A6-7, not under, shallowing late  it’s a more direct line to the ball. I actually think the stuff he gave me helped execute the wipe and extend.

Another thing I noticed was I have too much pinching the armpit for the trail shoulder around 7 so I tried giving the right arm more freedom, more loosey goosey let go feel post impact.

Maybe with improvement, multiple sources can work?

Still heel but not way out towards it.

286EA0C3-1E9D-4145-88DC-548181205801.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I think I figured out something about the shanks. Trail arm extends too early from around A6 and towards the ball, putting the heel in play. 

I was watching a bunch of videos from Tyler Ferrell about the wipe, basically keeping the elbows going in sync w/torso as it rotates, a little across. First wipe, then straighten the arms. I tried this and the towards the heel tendency was mitigated and could purposely hit towards the toe. Will have to wait and see how long this sticks and what happens as more speed as added. Works with the driver pretty good, which is where the heel hits are the most frustrating. Swings on video looked better and dry erase on clubhead verified better contact.

The stuff I was working on with Cogorno is still there as evinced in video, going into the ball from A6-7, not under, shallowing late  it’s a more direct line to the ball. I actually think the stuff he gave me helped execute the wipe and extend.

Another thing I noticed was I have too much pinching the armpit for the trail shoulder around 7 so I tried giving the right arm more freedom, more loosey goosey let go feel post impact.

Maybe with improvement, multiple sources can work?

Still heel but not way out towards it.

286EA0C3-1E9D-4145-88DC-548181205801.jpeg

That is a feel I have worked with too. I noticed in videos of Pro swings that there trail elbow almost seems to squeeze in and forward at the start of the downswing in conjunction with their hips rotating. With that feel, I tend not to extend my right arm too early.

You are doing that in the DTL video. Your right elbow is lower than your left for quite a ways into the downswing.

Scott

My Swing Thread

13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

That is a feel I have worked with too. I noticed in videos of Pro swings that there trail elbow almost seems to squeeze in and forward at the start of the downswing in conjunction with their hips rotating. With that feel, I tend not to extend my right arm too early.

You are doing that in the DTL video. Your right elbow is lower than your left for quite a ways into the downswing.

Yes, I guess that what the ball between the arms encourages as well. I’m really focused starting around A5.5, keep the arms from shooting out trail elbow keeps going with rotation. If I try to literally keep the hands from shooting out it doesn’t work I get this shoulder shrug. This wipe movement,  the shoulders don’t tense up. 

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Yes, I guess that what the ball between the arms encourages as well. I’m really focused starting around A5.5, keep the arms from shooting out trail elbow keeps going with rotation. If I try to literally keep the hands from shooting out it doesn’t work I get this shoulder shrug. This wipe movement,  the shoulders don’t tense up. 

I could never guess used to that training aid. It felt weird.

Scott

My Swing Thread

So I took @iacas's advice to heart and started analyzing my own swing and playing more. Looked over my swing and in addition to the dumped under part I worked on with the last instructor I noticed some things.

1 - Trail arm extends too soon, around A5.5 ish, I talked about this in above post, tried some drills and overdid it extended my arms across the body rather than towards "first base". This is a work in progress. Basically working at this move with the basket underneath me, the drill Eric Cogorno gave me.

2 - Right side of hip goes towards the ball around A5.5ish as well, and don't like that trail foot doesn't bank. I think if I can get the hips to swivel more about an axis rather than translate towards to the ball, that will help with rotation and shanks. Tried putting the foot in the basket drill like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.15.01 PM.png

Eventually, I'd like more glutes activated and knees touching at A8-10.

3 - My head still translates forward at A1, basically trying to keep it as still as possible.

4 - Hips can be not very open to pretty open at A7, need to keep this consistent. When slowing down swing, don't turn.

5 - Right shoulder comes up too high at A8.

With playing more, getting better at escape shots and a little better at varying height and curve, wish my body was younger so I could practice more, oh well.

Anyways, the search continues, I am downloading all the swing videos from Instagram and learning much from scrubbing through so many good swings. Beginning to see what pieces go with what. Guess the popular word these days is... MATCHUPS.

Steve

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So I took @iacas's advice to heart and started analyzing my own swing and playing more. Looked over my swing and in addition to the dumped under part I worked on with the last instructor I noticed some things.

I also said don't get too technical and focus more on the shots you hit, and less on positions, mechanics, etc. As they're fond of saying on TV, play golf, not golf swing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

1 - Trail arm extends too soon, around A5.5 ish, I talked about this in above post, tried some drills and overdid it extended my arms across the body rather than towards "first base". This is a work in progress. Basically working at this move with the basket underneath me, the drill Eric Cogorno gave me.

2 - Right side of hip goes towards the ball around A5.5ish as well, and don't like that trail foot doesn't bank. I think if I can get the hips to swivel more about an axis rather than translate towards to the ball, that will help with rotation and shanks. Tried putting the foot in the basket drill like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.15.01 PM.png

Eventually, I'd like more glutes activated and knees touching at A8-10.

3 - My head still translates forward at A1, basically trying to keep it as still as possible.

4 - Hips can be not very open to pretty open at A7, need to keep this consistent. When slowing down swing, don't turn.

5 - Right shoulder comes up too high at A8.

With playing more, getting better at escape shots and a little better at varying height and curve, wish my body was younger so I could practice more, oh well.

Anyways, the search continues, I am downloading all the swing videos from Instagram and learning much from scrubbing through so many good swings. Beginning to see what pieces go with what. Guess the popular word these days is... MATCHUPS.

Are you having fun? :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Are you having fun? :-P

Love hate relationship. 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

I also said don't get too technical and focus more on the shots you hit, and less on positions, mechanics, etc. As they're fond of saying on TV, play golf, not golf swing.

I’m doing that too on the course, working on turning off the brain part that focuses on mechanics. Left side? Whichever side. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Trying to be more athletic. 

• Like 1

Steve

I think I figured out why I shank on the course, having been playing a lot lately. I see in video that my hands go out towards the ball too much when it happens. It's like the plane line formed by the path of the club head from A4 entirely shifts out 1 inch. 

Tried adducting the shoulder, that is, pinching the lead armpit from A4 but letting it go on the way down and found this gives me a solid shot, especially after a shank. Will have to see if this proves out in later rounds. If I can get rid of the shanks, that will really lower the average scores I shoot. On the other hand, maybe this isn't it. We shall see.

Steve