IGNORED

Masters Bush League Bullying - Everything I hate about Augusta

chico713
Note:Β This thread is 3985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You mean the racist and fascist Augusta National administrators thatΒ wanted to expand the sport in China and created the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship who's winner (Guan) wasΒ guaranteedΒ a spot in the Masters?Β Β  Why should any player, regardless of age be exempt from following the rules?Β  Should Augusta also give Couples extra time cause he's old?Β Β Looks like you don't have all your facts straight or just want to bash Augusta National.

Bingo!

And I find it hilarious that the OP has the Augusta cubhouse as his avatar.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The big difference is that the pros know how to manage when the clock starts on their routine. They all take more time than the kid did, but he was clueless about how to manage the clock. Doesn't excuse it, and he deserved the penalty, but most PGA Tour pros will never, ever play at a decent pace.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

The big difference is that the pros know how to manage when the clock starts on their routine. They all take more time than the kid did, but he was clueless about how to manage the clock. Doesn't excuse it, and he deserved the penalty, but most PGA Tour pros will never, ever play at a decent pace.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

But that is a problem with the way the slow play rules are structured, not a problem with unfair application of the slow play rules. Β Someone (Nobilo?) on TGC talked about how the pros know how to game the system by sending their caddy ahead of them to get the yardage and figure out the wind, so that when the player gets there and the clock starts running there is little left to do but hit the shot.

And by "game the system" what you are really saying is "playing fast." Β That is precisely the goal of the slow play rules ... to get them to play faster. Β Doing whatever you can prior to it being your turn is how you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Good point - was stated by the talking heads this weekend that the kid didn't know how to circumvent the rules like the seasoned pros have been doing. That's my point - the kid was isolated out when many of the others in the field were equally guilty.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Good point - was stated by the talking heads this weekend that the kid didn't know how to circumvent the rules like the seasoned pros have been doing. That's my point - the kid was isolated out when many of the others in the field were equally guilty.

No one else in the field was guilty of violating the slow play rules.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Apparently Manassero got a penalty as well! I don't think I'd even heard this reported.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/12/masters-2013-guan-tianlang-penalty

My understanding is that once a group is on the clock it makes no difference who go the group out of position, all three are on the clock and subject to penalty with 2 bad times.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Quote:

Apparently Manassero got a penalty as well! I don't think I'd even heard this reported.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/12/masters-2013-guan-tianlang-penalty

My understanding is that once a group is on the clock it makes no difference who go the group out of position, all three are on the clock and subject to penalty with 2 bad times.

Exactly. Β They were all on the clock, but the kid was the only one who broke the 40 second limit. Β I may be true that he was a shorter hitter, and that put him at a disadvantage on approach shots by having to play first, but it is what it is and he still needed to figure out a way to speed up. Β Golf is a game of adjustments, and sometimes that means changing your pace. Β It's just one of the many variable factors that make up a round of golf. Β The kid needs to study Snedeker and Cabrera. Β Those 2 would have played in under 3 hours if they had been at the front of the pack instead of being the last group.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

According to the article Manassero got a 1 shot penalty as well.

The Guardian are the only ones I've seen to have reported that. Given the amount of coverage this had, how did that slip by everyone else?

There are even interviews with Manassero about this without mentions of him getting a penalty. I think The Guardian may have gotten their wires crossed somehow.

The Guardian are the only ones I've seen to have reported that. Given the amount of coverage this had, how did that slip by everyone else?

There are even interviews with Manassero about this without mentions of him getting a penalty. I think The Guardian may have gotten their wires crossed somehow.

Sorry guys.

British newspaper makes things up shocka!

Looking at the transcript from Manassero's press conference looks like he didn't get a penalty.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=88411

I suspect it was the following that caused te confusion: -

Q.Β  You said afterwards that they were talking about it, so is it uncertain‑‑ when you were in there was it uncertain whether he would get that penalty or not?
MATTEO MANASSERO:Β  Do I need to give you my opinion?Β  He's been given the shot penalty, and myself on the card, I had to put a shot penalty, so I put a 5 on 17 because I was told like that.Β  What's going to happen in the next minutes, I don't know.

Last post: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters08/columns/story?columnist=sobel_jason&id;=3324061 Check out what happened to Robert D if you don't already know. What is it about golf that allows for these things to happen? A 14 yr old kid takes a little too long to play at his first major. The best player ever drops his ball, in full view of the whole world and doesn't realize he made a mistake with corresponding two stroke penalty until the next day. By the way, where was Paramour when Tiger made the drop. Probably looking at his stop watch. Then you look at the De Vincezo story- everyone knew what he shot, there should have been a playoff, and realize it hasn't changed in 40 years. Thank God the golf, and guys likes Scott and Cabrera (Argentine like Roberto D. ), save the game from the asinine rules of golf. The 18th, 18th, and 10th saved that tournament. It was awesome. My next post will be suggestions for the New Rules of Golf.

• Administrator

So, chico, screw the Rules - golfers should just do what you say, is that it?

Tiger - handled properly and per the rules.

Guan -Β handled properly and per the rules.

De Vicenzo -Β handled properly and per the rules.

I'm sensing a pattern...

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Listening to Sirius XM PGA radio and a reporter was discussing that he followed the kid, Ben, and Manessero and observed that both Manessero and Crenshaw had several incidences where they were very slow in their decision making during the early part of the round. In one case the reporter said that it took Crenshaw several minutes to figure out what club he wanted to hit.Β  Said that this put the group behind early in the round - but Augusta National wasn't about to penalize Gentle Ben for slow play.

Kid was an easy target. Ben probably knew it as did Manessero.

Edit: didn't read the above posts.Β  Guess the Augusta National gave out more than one penalty?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Listening to Sirius XM PGA radio and a reporter was discussing that he followed the kid, Ben, and Manessero and observed that both Manessero and Crenshaw had several incidences where they were very slow in their decision making during the early part of the round. In one case the reporter said that it took Crenshaw several minutes to figure out what club he wanted to hit.Β  Said that this put the group behind early in the round - but Augusta National wasn't about to penalize Gentle Ben for slow play.

Rick, you're not revealing yourself to be very adept at reading and understanding basic logic or facts.

Were they out of position in the early holes?

Were they on the clock?

Had they been warned?

No. No. No.

Taking your time is a luxury you afford yourself when you are in position. It is not a luxury you afford yourself when you've fallen OUT of position.

You keep advancing this bizarre theory that they went out of their way to penalize a 14yo Chinese kid - a kid they specifically added to the field (i.e. as the winner of the Asian am event that he won), and ignoring the very simple, very basic, very easy to understand facts of the matter.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Rules I break: - I don't drive 55 - I buy stuff on ebay and don't pay sales tax to the people's republic of New York - I talk on my cell when I drive - I don't wear my seat belt - I'm a bad man

Some people just like to make a big deal out of nothing. Its this constant obsession that everything must have a hidden agenda, the world is to jaded these days.

Apparently those who think they should give this kid a break, or why golf rules seem so rediculus at some moments have never played competative golf, or doesn't appreciate the history of the game of golf and the adherence and self goveneroring of the rules by the players themselves, is the highest form of respect for the game. Those who think they have the right to twist the rules, or play by a different set of rules, doesn't respect the game of golf. Its why i don't want to see two sets of rules for Amateurs than Pro's, it will degrade the game of golf.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Note:Β This thread is 3985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!