IGNORED

Bob Costas attacks CBS Sports for Ignoring the Masters' 'Racism and Sexism'

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mvmac

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/bob-costas-slams-cbs-sports-ignoring-golf-masters-174852070.html

Gotta say, I agree with much of what he says.  The coverage is ridiculous and Jim Nantz' constant praising how "special" the tournament and the club are becomes nauseating.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

He like many others refuses to acknowledge the right private clubs have to determine who their members are.

I know others have said this, but that's a cop out.  The fact that something is legal doesn't make it right.  Its not ok to be racist or sexist, even if you're allowed to be both.

I think the point about Costas and the olympics isn't exactly the same either.  Nantz spends equal time talking about the tradition of the club/event compared to the golf. It sounds like he is trying to make love with the golf club.  Costas does sit there during the Olympics praising the glorious history of China while ignoring their human rights issues.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just one question: who the hell is Jim Nance? Columnists lack credibility when they can't even spell a guy's last name. It's five letters long.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Just one question: who the hell is Jim Nance?

Columnists lack credibility when they can't even spell a guy's last name. It's five letters long.

Columnist must be a "hooked on phonics" graduate

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by dsc123

I know others have said this, but that's a cop out.  The fact that something is legal doesn't make it right.  Its not ok to be racist or sexist, even if you're allowed to be both.

This is true, but before we get sidetracked, remember we're also talking about a club that does have members who are minorities and it does have members who are female.  At some point in the past they did not, but then so did tons of other old clubs, right?  And I'm sure some of the old clubs who also host PGA tournaments also have that history.  So, is the reason why everybody still wants to make such a big deal out of this one because they complied more recently than some other clubs?  What's the statute of limitations on when this becomes a non-issue?

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think the point about Costas and the olympics isn't exactly the same either.  Nantz spends equal time talking about the tradition of the club/event compared to the golf. It sounds like he is trying to make love with the golf club.  Costas does sit there during the Olympics praising the glorious history of China while ignoring their human rights issues.

dsc, I think you forgot a very important word in your last sentence ;).

I'm also surprised that people don't mention the racism/sexism thing more. It definitely effects my perception of the event. It's exactly why the us open is my favorite major and the masters is my 3rd favorite. Even if they're better about it now, the folks from Augusta seem like major a-holes.
  • Upvote 1

Why do we need to keep opening old wounds? They allow all colors and sexes now, whats the point of still talking about it? How would talking about it during a golf tournament change anything. Maybe its just me but i dont understand, but im a white male. Augusta has changed for the better whats left to complain about?

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

Even if they're better about it now, the folks from Augusta seem like major a-holes.

Based on what?  The chairman comes on during the tournament a couple of times to welcome everybody to the Masters.  This year we got to see the rules guy talk about Tiger's flub.  Other than that, what exactly do you see from these mystery "folks from Augusta" that makes you think they are major a-holes?

Condi Rice is an exception of course ... she is clearly a major a-hole and a serious sexist and racist.

CBS was there to cover a sporting event and that's what they did.  Viewers tune in to watch golf, not to listen to anything else.  If CBS wanted to cover any exclusionary policies there, they can do an episode of 60 minutes on it.  It's a well known fact and public knowledge concerning their policies there.  There's nothing new or earth shattering to report on.  Costas is just another pasty assed white guy full of guilt for being rich and in the top 1%, so he has to try to atone for his "sins" by getting political on TV.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yes, Augusta has a discriminatory history when it comes to race and women.  Numerous, maybe every club built before 1950/60 has a history with these issues.  But Augusta has adjusted with the times.

of course they have, Augusta has about 20% blacks as members now...No?......i didnt think so.

Oh hold on.....10% are blacks?......No?.....lets keep trying......

.........5% members are blacks??..........shit, i might get it right if i keep going....

...hey!.... lets not get the truth in the way of a "nice story"

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by notsohard

of course they have, Augusta has about 20% blacks as members now...No?......i didnt think so.

Oh hold on.....10% are blacks?......No?.....lets keep trying......

.........5% members are blacks??..........shit, i might get it right if i keep going....

...hey!.... lets not get the truth in the way of a "nice story"

Why does that matter to you?

They're a private club. Do they discriminate against their guests? Do they charge black "patrons" more for beer, have separate port-a-johns for them, or let them in 30 minutes later?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Based on what?  The chairman comes on during the tournament a couple of times to welcome everybody to the Masters.  This year we got to see the rules guy talk about Tiger's flub.  Other than that, what exactly do you see from these mystery "folks from Augusta" that makes you think they are major a-holes?

Condi Rice is an exception of course ... she is clearly a major a-hole and a serious sexist and racist.

Condi Rice is an exception . .Darla Moore is the other one.  When they get more than 2 female members maybe I'll get onboard with the whole "Augusta is changing for the better" thing.  And like I said .. they just seem like a-holes.  I know some guys who would be considered "good old boys" . .they remind me of those guys.  It's not like they're out there making headlines .. but they are elitist, sanctimonious overgrown frat-boys.  Like I said . .it's just my opinion based on things I've seen, heard and read.  Amazing Whacker seeks to avoid controversy and reminds you that he is probably an idiot and, like other idiots you will encounter on the internet .. should just be ignored.

Why does that matter to you?

They're a private club. Do they discriminate against their guests? Do they charge black "patrons" more for beer, have separate port-a-johns for them, or let them in 30 minutes later?

like i said......lets not let the truth get in the way of a "NICE STORY"

• Administrator
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

Condi Rice is an exception . .Darla Moore is the other one.  When they get more than 2 female members maybe I'll get onboard with the whole "Augusta is changing for the better" thing.  And like I said .. they just seem like a-holes.  I know some guys who would be considered "good old boys" . .they remind me of those guys.  It's not like they're out there making headlines .. but they are elitist, sanctimonious overgrown frat-boys.  Like I said . .it's just my opinion based on things I've seen, heard and read.

Oh my! They SEEM like a-holes! Why, with compelling evidence like that, I don't know how we can't just all agree!?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsohard

like i said......lets not let the truth get in the way of a "NICE STORY"

You didn't answer the questions.

Do you understand that they're a private club, and as such, are entitled to do as they please regarding their membership?

This thread: massive facepalm.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This is true, but before we get sidetracked, remember we're also talking about a club that does have members who are minorities and it does have members who are female.  At some point in the past they did not, but then so did tons of other old clubs, right?  And I'm sure some of the old clubs who also host PGA tournaments also have that history.  So, is the reason why everybody still wants to make such a big deal out of this one because they complied more recently than some other clubs?  What's the statute of limitations on when this becomes a non-issue?

dsc, I think you forgot a very important word in your last sentence ;).

haha, yes, it should have read that Bob Costas does *not* sit there praising the traditions of China.

And it was what, last year when they first allowed a female member?  And now there are what, two?

Its probably my 2nd favorite tournament.  But the extreme reverence detracts from the experience, imo.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Oh my! They SEEM like a-holes! Why, with compelling evidence like that, I don't know how we can't just all agree!?!?

Do you understand that they're a private club, and as such, are entitled to do as they please regarding their membership?

I never said I was a journalist . .and I'm not trying to get you to agree.  They just seem like a-holes to me.  Other people do, too.

The facepalm is the insistence that its a private club and they can do what they please.  Nobody is saying its illegal.  They're saying its wrong.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

This has been lost on so many people.......    It isn't like Augusta National is governmental agency..

dsc,

If it isn't illegal, then the determination of whether something is wrong becomes subjective. For the record, I abhor racism but I also believe private groups of people should be allowed to choose who they allow into their group with impunity, so long as that group does not violate a law or receive government assistance..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by teamroper60

This has been lost on so many people.......    It isn't like Augusta National is governmental agency..

Wow.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Note: This thread is 4024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!