• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvmac

Bob Costas attacks CBS Sports for Ignoring the Masters' 'Racism and Sexism'

129 posts in this topic

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/bob-costas-slams-cbs-sports-ignoring-golf-masters-174852070.html

Quote:

Costas made the remarks on Dan Patrick's radio show on Friday morning. At the end of the interview, which focused on the new movie "42," Patrick asked Costas to take part in a lighthearted game in which listeners imitated the hushed tones and reverent verbiage of longtime Masters announcer Jim Nance.

Costas declined to do a Nance impression, and pointed out that as a lifelong employee of NBC, he would never be in the position to cover the Masters. Then he dropped the hammer.

"What no CBS announcer has ever alluded to, even in passing, even during a rain delay, even when there was time to do so, is Augusta's history of racism and sexism," Costas said. "Even when people were protesting just outside the grounds. Forget about taking a side – never acknowledging it.

"So not only would I never work the Masters because I'm not at CBS, but I'd have to say something, and then I would be ejected."

"I think somebody should have had the guts to do it at some point along the way. Broadcaster, executive – somebody should have said to someone at Augusta, 'Look, this is an issue … and it's an elephant in the room. And we're going to address it … so that our heads are not in the collective sand trap."

When Patrick pointed out that CBS was no doubt wary of damaging its long-term relationship with the prestigious tournament, Costas agreed.

"It's a business thing," Costas said. "And if that's the case, just talk about guns. No one can get in trouble that way."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Costas is an idiot.  He like many others refuses to acknowledge the right private clubs have to determine who their members are.   There are a number of clubs out there that only allow women to join, when will he and NBC be doing their expose on Curves?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Costas is an idiot.  He like many others refuses to acknowledge the right private clubs have to determine who their members are.   There are a number of clubs out there that only allow women to join, when will he and NBC be doing their expose on Curves?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.


are any major PGA golf tournaments played at these golf courses that you mention?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm an idiot too.  I wish more people would say this.

*shrugs*

And newtogolf, a private club's right to discretion, and being racists or bigots are not mutually exclusive.  By definition all you're saying is that they have a right to discriminate in their admission policies.  That doesn't mean people don't have a right to call them discriminatory policies.

I hope we can at least agree that they do in fact have a history of sexism and racism.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I guess I'm an idiot too.  I wish more people would say this.

*shrugs*

And newtogolf, a private club's right to discretion, and being racists or bigots are not mutually exclusive.  By definition all you're saying is that they have a right to discriminate in their admission policies.  That doesn't mean people don't have a right to call them discriminatory policies.

I hope we can at least agree that they do in fact have a history of sexism and racism.

By definition if everyone isn't invited to join the club then it's discriminatory, but that in itself doesn't make it wrong imo.  People defend discrimination when it suits them and then argue against it when it doesn't.  Women argue they have a right to workout at clubs that don't allow men, but complain when men create clubs where women aren't welcome.  Tired of double standards....

Augusta National, like our entire country has a history or sexism and racism, but that's in the past.  Why does Costas feel the need to rip scabs off of deep wounds to point out what we already know?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I guess I'm an idiot too.  I wish more people would say this.

*shrugs*

And newtogolf, a private club's right to discretion, and being racists or bigots are not mutually exclusive.  By definition all you're saying is that they have a right to discriminate in their admission policies.  That doesn't mean people don't have a right to call them discriminatory policies.

I hope we can at least agree that they do in fact have a history of sexism and racism.

I like Bob Costas, but this is just grandstanding.  He knows damn well that no CBS announcer would ever say anything like he suggests, and there's no way for us to call him on his suggesting that if he were the announcer, he would say it.  Further, after these comments, even if NBC ever got the contract away from CBS, or if he switched networks, now its 100% guaranteed that he wouldn't get that job.

I may not go so far as to call him an idiot ... but I would say his comments are idiotic. ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Augusta National, like our entire country has a history or sexism and racism, but that's in the past.  Why does Costas feel the need to rip scabs off of deep wounds to point out what we already know?

Hard to say without having listened to that radio broadcast.  I'd be interested in hearing his rationale.  Mine?  I have an ax to grind because my guess is that a disproportionate amount of racists and bigots still exist in that Augusta National fraternity, which still shapes their current policies and viewpoints.  Since they open themselves up to public consumption and patronage once a year, I strongly feel this should be a part of the discussion.

Obviously I don't expect everybody (nor even many) people to be as emotionally invested in this subject as I.  Having experienced certain types of racism in my lifetime makes me a bit more sensitive to it.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I may not go so far as to call him an idiot ... but I would say his comments are idiotic. ;)

Which comments specifically?  It sounds like you and he agree on mostly everything (example: that he would never get the job and that it would be a bad business move for the network if somebody did).

And if he was grandstanding, it clearly didn't work here at TST.  He's not getting much applause.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Costas is an ass, I really wish he didn't have a national stage with which to spread his rhetoric. Don't see a problem with Augusta National Golf Club. They can admit whomever they want as members just as any club should be able to do.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was not a fan of Costas with his gun control tirade and I think his comments here are out of line with what he is paid to do.  I don't think that a sports announcer should be getting himself involved in these kinds of issues publicly.   The issues either were or are real, but it is not his place IMO.   I generally stay out of these kind of issues on this site, but this kind of thing in sports is just not necessary.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Bob Costas is an ass, I really wish he didn't have a national stage with which to spread his rhetoric. Don't see a problem with Augusta National Golf Club. They can admit whomever they want as members just as any club should be able to do.

simply put, I agree!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling his gun-rant has more to do with people calling him an idiot than his commentary about Augusta National's history of racism/sexism.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from an employee of a network that, during the Olympics, basically ignores any other athlete from any other country.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Obviously I don't expect everybody (nor even many) people to be as emotionally invested in this subject as I.  Having experienced certain types of racism in my lifetime makes me a bit more sensitive to it.

I fully understand your emotional investment to the subject.  As someone who judges people on their merits as opposed to their skin color, sex, religion or sexual preference I long for the day when we can recognize people as people and not feel the need to label them or have them feel the need to label themselves.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I have a feeling his gun-rant has more to do with people calling him an idiot than his commentary about Augusta National's history of racism/sexism.

He was an idiot before his gun-rant, the gun-rant just was icing on the cake.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree about the Costas grandstanding.

Yes, Augusta has a discriminatory history when it comes to race and women.  Numerous, maybe every club built before 1950/60 has a history with these issues.  But Augusta has adjusted with the times.  The racism issue was obviously brought to the forefront when Tiger won in '97.  Lee Elder was the first African American to play in the Masters in 1977 and Augusta has women and members of various races.  I don't think the current membership of Augusta that runs the tournament or deals with club policy is racist and/or sexist.  If Augusta was still not admitting members that weren't white and male then that might be something to talk about but not during the tournament.  It's a golf tournament, it doesn't make sense to me to bring up Augusta's discriminatory history during a rain delay or the competition.  Especially since the club is evolving further and further away from those archaic views

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Which comments specifically?

It sounds like you and he agree on mostly everything (example: that he would never get the job and that it would be a bad business move for the network if somebody did).

And if he was grandstanding, it clearly didn't work here at TST.  He's not getting much applause.

Costas made the remarks on Dan Patrick's radio show on Friday morning. At the end of the interview, which focused on the new movie "42," Patrick asked Costas to take part in a lighthearted game in which listeners imitated the hushed tones and reverent verbiage of longtime Masters announcer Jim Nance.

Costas declined to do a Nance impression, and pointed out that as a lifelong employee of NBC, he would never be in the position to cover the Masters. Then he dropped the hammer.

"What no CBS announcer has ever alluded to, even in passing, even during a rain delay, even when there was time to do so, is Augusta's history of racism and sexism," Costas said. "Even when people were protesting just outside the grounds. Forget about taking a side – never acknowledging it.

"So not only would I never work the Masters because I'm not at CBS, but I'd have to say something, and then I would be ejected."

"I think somebody should have had the guts to do it at some point along the way. Broadcaster, executive – somebody should have said to someone at Augusta, 'Look, this is an issue … and it's an elephant in the room. And we're going to address it … so that our heads are not in the collective sand trap."

When Patrick pointed out that CBS was no doubt wary of damaging its long-term relationship with the prestigious tournament, Costas agreed.

"It's a business thing," Costas said. "And if that's the case, just talk about guns. No one can get in trouble that way."

The bolded one.  Like I said, its grandstanding.  He knows that none of them can say anything during the telecast unless they want to guarantee they lose their job as a commentator of the Masters, risk losing their job at CBS, and risk CBS' future as the network of the Masters.  (Remember, they have that short leash from Augusta for this very kind of thing.  One-year contracts only.)  So it's just him scoring easy points.

I'd like to go back to the coverage of the Olympics in Beijing and see how much time he spent talking about China's humans rights issues.  (Not accusing him of not doing that, just actually curious if he did)  Or, now I'll pay attention to the Winter Olympics in Sochi next year to see how much he roasts the Russians for all of Stalin's transgressions.

I also think that "sexist" is being used incorrectly here.  Just because there weren't any actual single female members until recently doesn't mean they didn't allow women.  I'm pretty sure that women and children of their members are allowed on the grounds and are allowed to play there too.  (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)  And I'm trying to think of any adult women I know that are single and are avid golfers and there aren't any.  Seems like most CC's out there might not have many (or any) female members simply by default.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't mind Costas in a general, but I don't like it when he uses his sports platform for political issues (which happens to be just about every time he appears on my TV).
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I'd like to go back to the coverage of the Olympics in Beijing and see how much time he spent talking about China's humans rights issues.  (Not accusing him of not doing that, just actually curious if he did)  Or, now I'll pay attention to the Winter Olympics in Sochi next year to see how much he roasts the Russians for all of Stalin's transgressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I also think that "sexist" is being used incorrectly here.  Just because there weren't any actual single female members until recently doesn't mean they didn't allow women.  I'm pretty sure that women and children of their members are allowed on the grounds and are allowed to play there too.  (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)  And I'm trying to think of any adult women I know that are single and are avid golfers and there aren't any.  Seems like most CC's out there might not have many (or any) female members simply by default.

Yes women can play and from what I've heard a good portion of the rounds are played by women.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0