IGNORED

are you getting better?

Note: This thread is 2802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by noSnowman

Thats great scoring for low play. Most good players i know play min twice per week and hit balls twice per week. I should be lower but my driver wants to go left. I need to get more consistent. Don't wanna spend $$$ on range balls If my driver was on I could be a 5 no prob lem o

If you don't want to spend $5 to make yourself better, I am at a loss for words...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the bright side, at least you're not 50 years old, same handicap, scores, lessons, play 3 times a week, and shoot 95 almost every time.

Pretty sure, based on your thread title, that you were asking us for our stories.  If that's the case, I'll add mine.  Short answer:  yes.  I am getting better. I started taking lessons last su

I play once a week in season and only see snail like improvement since I don't have time to practice. If I had time to play 3 times a week... I'd switch to 2 and take the third day to practice... alm

Having just come from the range (120 balls) I can say an EMPHATIC NO. I am not getting better, I suck horribly and appear to be getting worse. I do practice 2-3 times a week, and I take lessons but it ain't changing much. Maybe I'm not practicing properly, I don't know...I do a lot of partial swings and slow-motion swings and holding positions but give me a ball and try and incorporate any of that into a full swing and crap occurs.

Really, really frustrated.

Rant over.

Sorry.

Cheers

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I am. However golf isn't any different to any other high level sport. You have to structure your practice and put in the hard yards. The scoring of golf can be a particularly frustrating part as you know you are hitting it better but a bad break here and there and your scores can look pretty similar. Just like when I played snooker,tennis,football you have to do the drills to master one shot let alone the multiple shots you will face in golf. Due to realistic appraisal of the time I can put in I decided to make my long game simple. No shot shaping and I don't hit far enough on most holes to bend it round a dog leg anyway. Also I spend rime with mid irons trying to become almost metronomic boring and straight. Then the fun part of golf for me the last 6 months the short game. I have a great garden for this and hit chips and pitches everyday if possible for maybe 10 mins to 30 depending on my commitments. This is where I can fully express myself and hit all sorts of flights with different wedges. Paired with the net work I have done at home I know I'm better and the score I next shoot will be irrelevant because I'm a better golfer and a smarter player. Perhaps handicap for most of us will always leave you feeling empty if that's how we judge our success. I can understand the insructors on this board doing that because they are competing and teaching so always need to strive. Give yourself a break if you hold a decent handicap probably with more time than you can actually put in a lot of you would reach an exceptional standard. I'm simply amazed sometimes that some on here have low handicaps while holding down jobs and family. Maybe getting better should be further down the list to are you still enjoying playing golf?

I've been shooting in the mid 80's recently, so yeah. Putting has been huge for me, as I typically don't have trouble getting on the green for a birdie put. But if I'm off that birdie can drop to a par or bogey... Practice practice. I also saw a huge difference after I started using GPS. I use the free golf logix app, it does the job alright. Probably gonna get a rangefinder for next bow season.

Yes, I would get the rangefinder as well. I use GolfLogix and a ranger. The more I play the more I want accurate distances to everything that might be a factor. Even if you're shooting in the 80s it really helps to focus the mind and commit to the shot. You start to feel like you're managing the round like a REAL golfer :>)

I have certainly been making steady progress, even if my handicap doesn't always show it. I turn 25 at the end of the month which gives me 25 more years to prepare for the Champions Tour hahaha.

I played on at a course today that had recently aerated greens. The holes weren't too bad, but it was that light layer of sand they sprinkle on there that absolutely killed me. Sticking the green was no longer an option. The greens were tiny to begin with. I would spin the ball as much as I could and it would still run once it hit. I finally started laying up in front of the green(if a hazard or steep slope was behind it) with anything more than a pitching wedge so I could chip on and then putt. That killed a lot of birdie opportunities but I didn't want to risk the unknown. I reach my Hcap on the front 9 being hard headed.....firing at pins and skidding off the back. Changed the game plan on the back 9, doing some damage control. I was hitting the ball as good as I ever have, so probably could have shot under my Hcap which really kills me. I'm trying not to beat myself up over something like that. But no matter how it happens, I don't like making excuses and I don't like not playing good.....and I did both!

Really improving a lot. Last week I shanked 3 times. Started shanking this year, could'nt shank before to save my life.

I am definitely hitting the ball better since I've been really trying to work on what I learned in my lessons. Last 5 rounds were 96, 91, 88, 94 & 92. My iron shots are much much better. If I can just get to the point where I eliminate my blow up holes, I know that I can be in the 80s.

Note: This thread is 2802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!