IGNORED

Best feel / spin ball for the price?

Note: This thread is 3939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to have more control and stopping power (gun term applied to golf? lol) with my approaches. I know that tour caliber balls (proV1, etc) provide this, but I want this for affordable, say, under $35 a dozen.

What do you guys have that fits this? Currently, I am playing the Bridgestone E5 for this very reason and those sucker will do a little dancin' when you pinch one right.

Originally Posted by LaffertyDaniel

I would like to have more control and stopping power (gun term applied to golf? lol) with my approaches. I know that tour caliber balls (proV1, etc) provide this, but I want this for affordable, say, under $35 a dozen.

What do you guys have that fits this? Currently, I am playing the Bridgestone E5 for this very reason and those sucker will do a little dancin' when you pinch one right.

You can find deals -

TGW - Penta TP3 for $17/dz is probably one of the better deals now

Callaway HEX Chrome - find them on sale for <$35 (for moderate speed - <100 mph)

Callaway HEX Chrome +  is a new ball for higher speed guys

I've seen the TP5 for sale, and at hurricanegolf, I've seen the Lethal for $35/dz but due to shipping, you need to order about 4 dz to get the price down to $38 w shipping.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i agree with the tp3/5 or hex chrome. i buy used and get b330, but a lot guys around here recommend gamer v2s if you can find them. i was traveling and bought some and they performed very well around the greens. they were right in line with my normal distance/spin inside of 50 yards. they run $20/dz, so if you see them i recommend grabbing a box and trying them out.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

E5 is the best value you are going to find.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

have you guys tried the Top Flite V2 Gamer?? cheaper then the B5... Haven't played the B5 but I don't mind the spin on the V2 for $10 a dozen.

Current Bag:

:ping: G25 - 10.5  RBZ Stage 2 2H :ping: G25 20*/23* Hybrids

:ping: G25 Blue Dot 5-UW  CG16 - 54   CG16 - 58 

Putter  Kari Lajosi DD201 303SS  V2 Gamer

Check out Costco Private labeled, Callaway Hex Pro 4 piece ball with Urethane cover $25.  I bought a couple dozen and like them.

They spin well and the cover is reasonably durable.

I asked the wife to pick them up and she got bright yellow, I was a little hesitant to use them but I like the yellow.  Easier to find, to see in the air, you know which one is yours when you walk up.

Originally Posted by inthecup

Check out Costco Private labeled, Callaway Hex Pro 4 piece ball with Urethane cover $25.  I bought a couple dozen and like them.

They spin well and the cover is reasonably durable.

I asked the wife to pick them up and she got bright yellow, I was a little hesitant to use them but I like the yellow.  Easier to find, to see in the air, you know which one is yours when you walk up.

Interesting... I bought a couple dozen balls at costco this weekend and the one's by me in NY were called Hex Control.  They're a 3pc non-urethane ball.  For $30/2 dozen I figured why not especially since I'm playing 3 water laden courses down in Ocean City, MD this weekend and I expect to lose a bunch due to my mental block with water.

If I had more time I would have bought the TP3's from TGW or the Hex Chrome Xouts which were $20/dozen also on TGW.  I love the TP3's though and was very disappointed when they stopped making them.  The 2 for $50 deals they were running on them last season made it the best value for a urethane 3 piece ball I've seen not online.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

E5 is the best value you are going to find.

disagree.

Originally Posted by mcmanus

have you guys tried the Top Flite V2 Gamer?? cheaper then the B5... Haven't played the B5 but I don't mind the spin on the V2 for $10 a dozen.

quoted for TROOF!!!

also, i dont know if they have them near you but at both Sports Authority and Golf Galaxy they have PRACTICE Taylormade Pentas for $19.99 a dozen.  thats a tour ball at a bargain price.  this is the best deal you can find if you dont mind having PRACTICE stamped on the ball.  completely legal for use as well.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

disagree.

quoted for TROOF!!!

also, i dont know if they have them near you but at both Sports Authority and Golf Galaxy they have PRACTICE Taylormade Pentas for $19.99 a dozen.  thats a tour ball at a bargain price.  this is the best deal you can find if you dont mind having PRACTICE stamped on the ball.  completely legal for use as well.

Agree with the Gamer V2.  Great ball for the money and it doesn't feel like any other Top Flite that I've ever hit.  Good distance and spin and soft off of the putter.

So I've played a few rounds now with the E5 as opposed to the Srixon Q-Star I've played with for a while now.

First, these things are longer than the Q-Star. I'm about a half club longer w/ irons. Driving distance IDK because it's been real wet but I have to believe it's further there too.

These things definitely spin more around the greens. They stop quicker. This is what I wanted.... I ball that spins for under $30.

As for the feel of the things... They are definitely harder. You can take a wedge in your hand and just drop different types of golf balls onto it and listen to the sound it makes. The E6, for example, claims to be the "softest multi-layer ball on the market". It makes almost no sound, like a tennis ball. The E5 makes a higher pitched "click" sound. Q-Star somewhere between the two, same for ProV1, etc.

In summation, you get what you pay for. The E5 performs much like more expensive ball, but definitely feels kinda hard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option is to get used golf balls.  Just do not get the ones that say "refurbished".  They are repainted and probably the performance is affected.  Titleist PV1s are usually discolored because the cover is not very durable.  If you can find pro-line Callaways, Taylor Mades, Bridgestones, or Srixons that are used they are a good value.  There are several online dealers or you can find them in most golf stores.

My local golf shop carrys used pro-line Callaways for $12 a dozen that are in great shape.  There might be one or two that are scuffed but that's still a good bargain.

This is what a wrote in another post. I will recommend a couple of balls. I have been trying multiple brands this year and the balls that work the best for me are (they are in order from best to good): 1) Callaway Hex Chrome +; 2)ProV1x (used ball! Purchase in knetgolf or lostballs); 3) Srixon ZStar XV; 4) ProV1(used) If is a new ball I will recommend the Chrome +, you cannot beat that. 35 dollars per dozen. I purchased two weeks ago 3 dozens in the Callaway website for 29.99 with free shipping. When I first used this ball (chrome+) I immediately noticed that my ball was flying straighter that the others (is not going to help your hook if you have one, for that you need a miracle ball or an illegal ball, e.g. Polara) and at the green, the ball is spinning more than the others. I need a lot of spin because my swing in steep and my ball flight is lower than other people. Finally, If you have a chance to buy the June edition of the Golf Digest Magazine, they issued a good review of most of the balls in the market. They used a robot to hit all the balls. they used a driver and a half-wedge iron. Then they presented a chart of driver spin rate vs. half-wedge spin rate and the best balls that came up (in my opinion) were (they are in order): 1)ProV1x, 2)Chrome+, 3)MaxFli U/6, 4)Wilson FG Tour X, 5)ZStar XV, 6)ProV1 The golf balls above are the best because they have less spin with the driver and the most spin in the greens. The following two have great spin with the half-wedge but the driver spin is a little bit higher than the balls above. 1)Bridgestone B330-S, 2) Callaway Hex Black Tour Disclosure: the article does not say which ball go the furthest or which ball is the best. The order of the balls above are just my suggestion because, as I said before, I need a ball that spin a lot on the green because of my swing. The article is just concentrating on the spin of the ball and the behavior of the ball with the driver and the wedges. Have fun and keep playing. Al

Ok I just read all the reviews and though this may not be as low cost as you want but, if you don't loose them you can get great play long term from a new ball on the market. It does what Titliest claims with their new balls. It is the 3F12 from www.3UPGOLF.com . It goes farther than any ball I have found and has more spin with your low irons. I have even spun back a 7 iron with these. I have played 4 games now with one ball and when clean it looks new. My swing speed is mid 90's. So for my money they are the best you can buy for the dollar. Yes if you tend to loose balls they may be a little on the high side at $40 but when I want to play my best this is the ball I choose. Rob is a great guy and will answer any questions you have. And every one I have given one to try liked it better than their ProV's.

Note: This thread is 3939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!