IGNORED

Importance of the Hips in the Golf Swing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Video, was with 7i. Problem I have is if I shorten my backswing I've very inconsistent at impact. More than I am now at least.

Without seeing your swing we have to look at things in a very general sense.  Yes if you turn too much you can start to rotate your baseline too far to the right, and we might see too much movement of the head.   For a golfer at your level, there is a very good chance you need to work on Key #1 and/or Key #2.  If I had to guess I'd say your eyes shift too far to the right on the backswing, probably have a tough time seeing the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do have videos of my swing up in the thread dedicated to it swings, though not sure they are good enough to see what is needed. I never have problems seeing the ball the whole time, but maybe I am just accustomed to how much I see so don't notice it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I do have videos of my swing up in the thread dedicated to it swings, though not sure they are good enough to see what is needed. I never have problems seeing the ball the whole time, but maybe I am just accustomed to how much I see so don't notice it.

You have a pretty good swing, don't want to get this thread off topic so I'll comment on your swing thread when I can.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

You have a pretty good swing, don't want to get this thread off topic so I'll comment on your swing thread when I can.

I appreciate it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 1 year later...
Seems like such minute movement, but it's so difficult to get it right AND in sync with the upper body.

I'd agree. Mike showed me the importance of the hip movement a few months ago, and I'm still working on it. What I like is,when I make a good hip turn, and keep them slanted, it promotes a good shoulder turn for me, which I usually didn't do very well. So, now, it's, left shoulder down, right shoulder up. I sync up much better that way.

And the cool thing is, an easy swing in that fashion goes as far, or further than a faster swing if I'm not sync'd up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

Seems like such minute movement, but it's so difficult to get it right AND in sync with the upper body.

I'd agree. Mike showed me the importance of the hip movement a few months ago, and I'm still working on it. What I like is,when I make a good hip turn, and keep them slanted, it promotes a good shoulder turn for me, which I usually didn't do very well. So, now, it's, left shoulder down, right shoulder up. I sync up much better that way.

And the cool thing is, an easy swing in that fashion goes as far, or further than a faster swing if I'm not sync'd up.

Interesting...sounds amazing lol. At what point did/do you work on this? I mean, was this part of Key 1, 2, 3, etc? Somewhere in between? Trying to get a reasonable guess at how much I should even be worrying about this at the moment. It just intrigued me recently as I was watching one of Rory's swings on YouTube....now THAT is some hip action.

Interesting...sounds amazing lol. At what point did/do you work on this? I mean, was this part of Key 1, 2, 3, etc? Somewhere in between? Trying to get a reasonable guess at how much I should even be worrying about this at the moment. It just intrigued me recently as I was watching one of Rory's swings on YouTube....now THAT is some hip action.

I work on the hips and shoulder turn at the same time, in front of a mirror without a club. At the range, keys 1,and 2 are pretty much consistent, so I only need to remind myself to do those.

When I hit practice shots, I'm swinging mostly at about 50 to 60%, I focus on getting my shoulder turned properly, but first, I check my posture, and check to see that my belt buckle is pointing down towards the ball, I then make a practice swing SLOWLY, then set up and hit a ball at slow speed, I'll do that hitting about 3 to 5 balls, then on the 6th ball, I will remind myself about the hips/shoulders, while making sure key 3 is in effect. For me, I hinge my wrist's pretty early, which also lets me see that I'm making a good take away, and not going inside to much.

I guess you could say, after a few months I've gotten to the point where I can work on a couple things at 1 time, but the main focus right now is on my hip/ shoulder turn, and posture at the range.

I still work on other things in front of a mirror, and will sometimes check myself at the range, just to make sure I'm doing what I'm suppose to do, which is make a good golf swing, and believe me, I know when that happens. Results are a nice ball flight, and the distance goes along with it. The best part is, it feels so effortless. Hope that answers your question. I hit balls witha friend of mine who is a 3 HC, and he says for an old man with back problems, I make a pretty good hip turn...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

I work on the hips and shoulder turn at the same time, in front of a mirror without a club. At the range, keys 1,and 2 are pretty much consistent, so I only need to remind myself to do those.

When I hit practice shots, I'm swinging mostly at about 50 to 60%, I focus on getting my shoulder turned properly, but first, I check my posture, and check to see that my belt buckle is pointing down towards the ball, I then make a practice swing SLOWLY, then set up and hit a ball at slow speed, I'll do that hitting about 3 to 5 balls, then on the 6th ball, I will remind myself about the hips/shoulders, while making sure key 3 is in effect. For me, I hinge my wrist's pretty early, which also lets me see that I'm making a good take away, and not going inside to much.

I guess you could say, after a few months I've gotten to the point where I can work on a couple things at 1 time, but the main focus right now is on my hip/ shoulder turn, and posture at the range.

I still work on other things in front of a mirror, and will sometimes check myself at the range, just to make sure I'm doing what I'm suppose to do, which is make a good golf swing, and believe me, I know when that happens. Results are a nice ball flight, and the distance goes along with it. The best part is, it feels so effortless. Hope that answers your question. I hit balls witha friend of mine who is a 3 HC, and he says for an old man with back problems, I make a pretty good hip turn...lol

That definitely answered my question...thanks. Playing around with this in the mirror tonight vs videos of Tiger and Rory...I realized that the overall movement of the hips doesn't really need to feel that dramatic. I also get what you're saying regarding the effortless power...especially if you keep your hands and wrists "loose." It's all part of the weight forward/Key 2 part of the swing. Super important.

• 2 years later...

Would it make sense for instructors to work on hips first when starting to work with a new student? (I'm not an instructor, just curious because I took a lot of Golftec lessons back in the day and not once did we work on hip tilt)

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

2 hours ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Would it make sense for instructors to work on hips first when starting to work with a new student? (I'm not an instructor, just curious because I took a lot of Golftec lessons back in the day and not once did we work on hip tilt)

I'd say it should be worked on very early.   But I'm all about the hips.  I think it is extra important for the golfer that sways in the backswing.  

174bb1f9_hipstuff.jpeg

I'm not sure you need to mention the word hips to the golfer.

I think for newbies it might be easier to think of the knees. 

- bending the left knee and straightening the right knee in the BS.

9 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

I'd say it should be worked on very early.   But I'm all about the hips.  I think it is extra important for the golfer that sways in the backswing.  

174bb1f9_hipstuff.jpeg

Straighten the right knee, but not completely, right? My current instructor tells me not to completely straighten the right leg because it will prevent me from shifting the weight forward properly.

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

3 hours ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

I believe following the order of the 5 simple keys system is the correct order. Get the head steady first, then worry about the hips and weight forward.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

8 hours ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

174bb1f9_hipstuff.jpeg

You may be right for most, but it is possible to bend the lead knee, straighten the trail and still sway back.

I really have to concentrate on my hips not swaying. I've seen folks who sway play pretty good golf, but for me it causes problems and it's one of those things that easily creeps back in. Of course, we're all different in what comes easy or difficult.

8 hours ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Straighten the right knee, but not completely, right? My current instructor tells me not to completely straighten the right leg because it will prevent me from shifting the weight forward properly.

Take this for what it's worth as I'm not a good player, but from what I understand, the trail leg has to lose flex. If you look at videos of pros, the trail leg straightens quite a bit.

That's not to say the trail knee locks straight, only that it doesn't remain bent as it was at address.

Again, I'm in no way qualified to give advice... just stating what I believe is true.

Jon

7 hours ago, TN94z said:

I believe following the order of the 5 simple keys system is the correct order. Get the head steady first, then worry about the hips and weight forward.

Cool. I didn't know 5SK had an order !  I have to learn more about 5SK. 

8 hours ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Completely straightening the right knee has got to be bad. 

Note: This thread is 2314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!