IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

14 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Hey, Jeremie...glad my struggles might at least help someone else! I definitely noticed more solid contact with the "punch" swings. It's honestly very similar to the preset-hips drill...that "held-off" finish really promotes a downward strike.

I'm looking forward to seeing your videos...it's a good feeling to make such crisp contact. I even mixed those swings in on the course when I started struggling...it only "cost" me about a club-and-a-half of distance, and seemed to help settle me down.

@iacas has mentioned it before, but that hips preset drill swing is a perfectly viable swing to use on the course. It's something I still go back to when I'm struggling with contact when I'm playing.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
9 hours ago, billchao said:

@iacas has mentioned it before, but that hips preset drill swing is a perfectly viable swing to use on the course. It's something I still go back to when I'm struggling with contact when I'm playing.

Yeah. A lot of golfers would play better doing that with their irons on the course.

Or punch shots, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, so struggling to find any positives from tonight's range session and videos.... Regardless of how I feel about these swings I'm going to post them because if I don't there's no way for me to have an accurate gauge of my progress, stagnation, or regression. 

Pretty much nothing to say besides just got to keep working at it, eventually things will get better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

(edited)

Practice time at the course was good tonight. Was able to see some errors I was making with set up and the experimenting with hovering the putter instead of grounding it afterwords worked well. Still doing well off the tee, for me at least, at over 50% fairways hit and even the misses being much closer. Still need to put a bit more time and effort into improving my short game to go along with my much improved mid and long game. GG stats over the last 5 rounds is showing me that definitely 25-75 ish yards I really need to improve. 100-150 is pretty good. 150+ it's mostly on or to the left from pulls. Still looking like I'm trending to move down towards 15 index, just need to get that short game and putting back in line.

updated save vs 15.jpg

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:38 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, so struggling to find any positives from tonight's range session and videos.... Regardless of how I feel about these swings I'm going to post them because if I don't there's no way for me to have an accurate gauge of my progress, stagnation, or regression. 

Pretty much nothing to say besides just got to keep working at it, eventually things will get better.

Don't get discouraged.  The "positive" is that you can recognize when you're not doing something correctly!

What specific thing were you working on during this session?  Did you try the "mini-punch" swings (and get them on tape)?  I'm curious if they helped at all.

- John

9 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Don't get discouraged.  The "positive" is that you can recognize when you're not doing something correctly!

What specific thing were you working on during this session?  Did you try the "mini-punch" swings (and get them on tape)?  I'm curious if they helped at all.

I did not get those recorded. Well to be honest I thought I did, however when I looked at the video I was not doing them properly. I am getting back into the habit of just swinging full speed at the range instead of starting slow and building up to regular speed. It's a habit I have, so I know the next time I go to the range I need to really work on slowing and shortening my swing back down until I hit the correct impact position.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

26 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I did not get those recorded. Well to be honest I thought I did, however when I looked at the video I was not doing them properly. I am getting back into the habit of just swinging full speed at the range instead of starting slow and building up to regular speed. It's a habit I have, so I know the next time I go to the range I need to really work on slowing and shortening my swing back down until I hit the correct impact position.

Gotcha.  I have the same problem!

I've actually started looking at the video on the range after every single swing.  That way, if I notice I do my "piece" incorrectly, I pump the brakes and slow down again.  The iPhone is nice because the slow-mo video is easy to do that with (I also film at a practice range with a lower level, so the shade helps).

It might help you with the "swing only as fast as you can without flipping" part.

Anywhoo, feel free to ignore me if I'm not jumping in here or conflicting with what your actual instructors are telling you.  I feel like you "invited" me with the @mention, and thought it might be helpful since I've struggled with the same thing (too fast too soon).

- John

3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I feel like you "invited" me with the @mention, and thought it might be helpful since I've struggled with the same thing (too fast too soon).

Best part of swing threads is the implicit invitations and the implicit disclaimer that we can ignore the advice we think is bogus! I'll be spamming your soon, I'm sure.

But yes, agreed re video of each swing. It's hard to do, but useful. I have a hard time playing mine back sometimes due to brightness, but I'll definitely review a swing I felt was really good- usually dashed by the realization it wasn't as good as I thought. When I get home, I review almost all of them, and want to get back out there to fix things. Such a wide gulf between how different a feel can be to how similar it really was to what you were doing before. Crazy.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Gotcha.  I have the same problem!

I've actually started looking at the video on the range after every single swing.  That way, if I notice I do my "piece" incorrectly, I pump the brakes and slow down again.  The iPhone is nice because the slow-mo video is easy to do that with (I also film at a practice range with a lower level, so the shade helps).

It might help you with the "swing only as fast as you can without flipping" part.

Anywhoo, feel free to ignore me if I'm not jumping in here or conflicting with what your actual instructors are telling you.  I feel like you "invited" me with the @mention, and thought it might be helpful since I've struggled with the same thing (too fast too soon).

I try to check the swings as I go, just that it's not as easy to see details on the phone screen as I'd like. Truthfully though, I usually only check them if they feel really bad so I can see what I did wrong. I keep contemplating taking my laptop with me and pulling the videos over to look at them as I work. I've gotten much less self conscious about recording myself with others around but just feels like this next step would probably be a bit much. I've started trying to practice solely on the grass range also, so there's not really any place to set my laptop down unless I bring something. I may just have to get over that and figure it out, maybe just grab an old shoe box or something. Heck, other people may ask me to record their swings for them as well if the see me doing that. I absolutely invited you in with the mention and I don't mind at all you giving me ideas and advice. That's what this thread is for. As for right now, I'm not working directly with an instructor outside of following advice from Erik that he gives here. Though I do have a lesson scheduled with him in Erie towards the end of the month.

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Best part of swing threads is the implicit invitations and the implicit disclaimer that we can ignore the advice we think is bogus! I'll be spamming your soon, I'm sure.

But yes, agreed re video of each swing. It's hard to do, but useful. I have a hard time playing mine back sometimes due to brightness, but I'll definitely review a swing I felt was really good- usually dashed by the realization it wasn't as good as I thought. When I get home, I review almost all of them, and want to get back out there to fix things. Such a wide gulf between how different a feel can be to how similar it really was to what you were doing before. Crazy.

I am the opposite, when I am hitting the ball well on the range while recording I'll typically not even look at the video until I get home thinking I was doing things right. However, I'm usually disappointed to see that I'm just having a good day with a bad swing.

I'm starting to think maybe I can find a camera that can stream straight to my laptop for recording purposes. That way I can instantly review my swings on a larger screen to make better adjustments on the fly. I think I remember seeing a camera like that somewhere, time to research!

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I found and ordered a cheap sport camera capable of 240 fps at wvga resolution. It's wifi capable however it doesn't connect to a laptop via wifi, it only connects to android or apple mobile devices. That's ok though, I can find a cheap 8" tablet to use to connect to and still have a much larger viewing area than the phone. This also gives me the added benefit of being able to make sure I get my camera angles set right and being able to start and stop recording without having to walk to my phone. I will also be able to us an actual tripod. This should even give me a much better way to do course vlogs and still be able to use my GG app on my phone. And, it only cost me $62.11.

There is package deal other places where you can get a watch that allows you to connect to the camera to see what it sees and start/stop the recording and take pictures, but that didn't seem worth the extra cost of purchasing through another place and paying $140+

If anyone is interested in picking on up themselves here's the link:

https://jet.com/product/MHD-Sport-20-Wi-Fi-Action-Camera/c4d46c5d8afa4d4fbfd8ddc7992e344f

I waived the free return and used promo code "shop15" to get the price I got.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So, as my day is coming close to an end at work I was beginning to think about heading to the range to work on my swing and record some video. Then it occurred to me to ask, I am playing in my first tournament this weekend and wasn't sure if it was smart to mess with my swing so close to that or is it best to just keep playing practice rounds? I'm fine doing either but I don't want to do something that may end up having a negative impact on my play this weekend.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Read what we said in LSW. ;-)

Clue: "stop practicing." 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

The best general tip ever. When in doubt look in LSW :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

The best general tip ever. When in doubt look in LSW :-D

Sounds simple enough, just have to find my copy since I've moved. :8)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On 6/8/2016 at 9:48 AM, Jeremie Boop said:

I found and ordered a cheap sport camera capable of 240 fps at wvga resolution. It's wifi capable however it doesn't connect to a laptop via wifi, it only connects to android or apple mobile devices. That's ok though, I can find a cheap 8" tablet to use to connect to and still have a much larger viewing area than the phone. This also gives me the added benefit of being able to make sure I get my camera angles set right and being able to start and stop recording without having to walk to my phone. I will also be able to us an actual tripod. This should even give me a much better way to do course vlogs and still be able to use my GG app on my phone. And, it only cost me $62.11.

There is package deal other places where you can get a watch that allows you to connect to the camera to see what it sees and start/stop the recording and take pictures, but that didn't seem worth the extra cost of purchasing through another place and paying $140+

If anyone is interested in picking on up themselves here's the link:

https://jet.com/product/MHD-Sport-20-Wi-Fi-Action-Camera/c4d46c5d8afa4d4fbfd8ddc7992e344f

I waived the free return and used promo code "shop15" to get the price I got.

So, crazy enough, that camera shipped from Cincinnati and it's already being delivered today.... Not bad for free shipping :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ok, have my new action cam for recording my swing and course vlogs with a 32 gb sd card, a cheap tripod, and the ability to control it with my Iphone until I purchase a tablet to use. Looking forward to putting it to use and seeing what I get out of it.

Today I played in the member/guest tournament. Except for some crappy putting and 2 tee shots that got away from me I was pretty damn happy with how I played. Most of the other things that cost me were just misjudgments on the wind effect on my shots. 48 on front with a rebound to a 41 on the back. That's with a stupid missed 2 foot putt that a baby tapped instead of just hitting. Probably going to play again tomorrow and vlog it, but I'll hit the range before to record swings. Have to put this new toy to the test.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

A bit tired after being in the sun all day and then editing this and my course vlog. Depending on how the video of the swings is I'll be posting those tomorrow. I noticed today that I have a tendency to watch my putter head move when putting instead of watching the ball. I started focusing on the ball and speed control got much better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• 2 weeks later...

just a couple slow mo drills at home using a chair to work on centered turn and weight forward/hip slide.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: