IGNORED

My Swing (JonMA1)

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 2005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I'm way ahead of you Randy and have already made some changes.

I know what you're thinking... that "after" picture looks a lot like the 13th hole at Augusta National... or that those Magnolias are not indigenous to Northern Michigan, but rest assured, that really is my yard.

Transition_sml.jpg

I could tell it was real because with all that beautiful green, you were still hitting from the pinestraw :beer:

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, cipher said:

Any plans to see a doctor about it?

If it ends up being something that won't go away, then I definitely will. I just switched physicians and have an appointment in two weeks. I should know something by then.

8 hours ago, RandallT said:

I could tell it was real because with all that beautiful green, you were still hitting from the pinestraw :beer:

Ha ha, that was pretty good. There's more truth to that than you think. Besides, why ugly up a perfectly good fairway with divots?

• Upvote 1

Jon

Played my first round of the 2017 season. I wore a wrap on my arm that seemed to help but after a while it became uncomfortable and I removed it. The arm is tender (and bruised for some reason), but I didn't really feel any pain.... from the injury anyway.

The 9 holes however were pretty painful. Started off by hitting the first two greens in regulation, the first with an approach shot with the 5 wood. But despite all the practice I'd done this winter trying to develop a putting stroke, it was worse than ever. Oh well. Putting... the easiest part of the game, right?

My full swings at times were ok, at other times, not so much.  I felt my weight going backwards again, so  the gains I'd made in practice haven't yet made it to the course. I suspected the transition would take some time and effort so I wasn't surprised or even disappointed.

Overall, it was nice to play golf again even if today's round reinforced my belief that this season may be a bit of a backwards slide. I played the set of tees further back than I probably should, but distance didn't hurt me today. The mishits hurt, but the bad putting just killed my round.

Jon

AfterRoundPractice.jpg

I recorded some swings after Sunday's round. This was a typical swing.

My (uneducated) opinion...

My address is ok, I'm getting weight back on the back swing, and I'm getting a centered hip turn. I'm no longer taking my hands so far behind me. I also like that my back is angled the way it is at the top... I think that's good.  While this swing was a bit choppy, I'm trying to make a smoother full swing without any hitches and I think that has improved.

But...

I'm failing to get a full shoulder turn and my arms never get very high at the "top" (not a priority but still something I'll need to deal with eventually). While I'm getting a tiny bit of weight forward (which IS STILL my priority), it isn't nearly what it should be. The hips barely move forward in these images. A straight line drawn down from my hip fall inside my foot as compared to a good player in the image below. This image is after impact so I don't think I'm flipping, but I'm obviously not getting much forward lean either. Again, not really a priority but something that needs to improve.

ComparisonKey2.jpg

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Took some video today for the first time in a month or so. I was pleasantly surprised that nothing showed up as far as a loss in getting my weight forward and I'm controlling the hip slide away from the target somewhat. Still not getting a full shoulder turn but I haven't been working on much besides the weight forward. All the videos looked very similar and I was hitting the ball very well today.

I was ok with the video until I did some screen captures and noticed I've lossed some ground on key #1. This is excessive, IMO. Even though it wasn't causing poor contact today, it will surely show up if I don't address the issue.

The feel I've been using lately is one where I'm falling back toward the target from the top of the BS. I think this is one case where feel maybe real. ;-)

Practice has been sparse because of an injured biceps.

Outdoor7i_5_3.jpg

Jon

Long Term Priority: Key #2

Don't know if anyone can help, but I'm a little lost. Without video recording an entire round, I'm having to go by recorded GameGolf rounds, feel, and memory for the following information.

I think weight forward has improved. I might slip back into old habits throughout the round, but I don't think it's a complete or thorough slide backwards. 

When contact is good (irons & woods), I'm getting some extra yardage over last year. If I had to guess, I'd say decent contact occurs about 75% of the time.

However, even when good contact occurs, I'll often get...

1) poor starting line

2) unpredictable ball flight

Question: Any suggestions on what to look for on video to determine what the cause might be?

Short term priority: Clean up my gap wedge shots.

I'm missing worse this year by both distance and dispersion. Even with my game, there's no reason I can't hit 60% of greens from within 100 yds (not necessarily GIRs). This may be hurting my scores more than anything right now.

I think my 101-150 percentage is ok. Obviously, will try to improve with my long-term priority.

I'm happy with 33% of my 150+ yard approaches but am unsure if I can sustain that for the year. Seems an over achievement at this point.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.37.21 PM.png

Jon

13 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Short term priority: Clean up my gap wedge shots.

I'm missing worse this year by both distance and dispersion. Even with my game, there's no reason I can't hit 60% of greens from within 100 yds (not necessarily GIRs). This may be hurting my scores more than anything right now.

I think my 101-150 percentage is ok. Obviously, will try to improve with my long-term priority.

I'm happy with 33% of my 150+ yard approaches but am unsure if I can sustain that for the year. Seems an over achievement at this point.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.37.21 PM.png

What type of shots are you hitting under 100 yards?  If you don't already... maybe work on flighted shots with 9i through the wedges, and figuring out those distances.  I personally find it very helpful (and much more accurate) from 120 yards and in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

What type of shots are you hitting under 100 yards?  If you don't already... maybe work on flighted shots with 9i through the wedges, and figuring out those distances.  I personally find it very helpful (and much more accurate) from 120 yards and in.

Great advice, thanks. 

Almost all my approach shots under 100 yards are with gap wedge shots that fly high and drop with less roll. I've been better in the past controlling distance by gripping down and controlling the amount of backswing. 

I play around with flighting those other clubs but I can't do much with spin so they're basically bump and runs unless I get the right height. Distance control is a bit tougher for me but it's definitely something I'll continue to work on.

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Great advice, thanks. 

Almost all my approach shots under 100 yards are with gap wedge shots that fly high and drop with less roll. I've been better in the past controlling distance by gripping down and controlling the amount of backswing. 

I play around with flighting those other clubs but I can't do much with spin so they're basically bump and runs unless I get the right height. Distance control is a bit tougher for me but it's definitely something I'll continue to work on.

I will sometimes choke down or up to control distance as well (it used to be the only way I controlled distance), but in conjunction with also using different clubs and flighted shots.

Maybe don't worry about getting spin as much, for now.  Just spend the time grooving those 1/2 and 3/4 swings and writing the distances down for each club.  Remember the tempo should be similar to a full swing (I.e. don't swing slower), it's just a shorter swing.  Once you're consistent with the distances (which should happen pretty quickly, within a few range sessions) then you can adjust the grip up or down to further control distances (if you find you need to).

I'm sure others on this site could probably provide better instruction or a better way to go about getting this skill down, but just sharing what worked for me.  I figured it out at the range, and now it's just something I make sure to practice.  It's been very helpful to have in the bag

2 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Maybe don't worry about getting spin as much, for now.  Just spend the time grooving those 1/2 and 3/4 swings and writing the distances down for each club.  Remember the tempo should be similar to a full swing (I.e. don't swing slower), it's just a shorter swing.  Once you're consistent with the distances (which should happen pretty quickly, within a few range sessions) then you can adjust the grip up or down to further control distances (if you find you need to).

Couldn't agree with this more. My 3/4 is my go-to shot from 115 yards and in and you can just tweak either the speed or the length of swing based on that. It's surprisingly rare that you have a yardage you can't work to. 

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Worked on the suggestions from @Denny Bang Bang and @b101 using a 9 iron and gap wedge tonight.

First I took about 10 full swings with the gap wedge. I didn't hit anything thin or fat and got my standard 90-100 yds high flight shots. But the dispersion was poor.

I went out to my target, collected the balls and, using the 9i, hit them back to where I'd been standing, trying to get them to land short.

I realize this was a small sample test, but what I found was that it was easier to control my starting line with this type of flighted shot.

I couldn't evaluate the resulting roll because I was hitting into a field. But I could see that with enough practice, developing some control on where these shots land might be possible.

• I'm not crazy about the low flight and run I get from them, but on approach shots with no bunkers or rough to worry about, it might be a better way to keep the shots online.
  • Have talked about this in the past, but maybe full shots with a wedge should rarely occur.  

On shots that require some height 110 yards and in, I'll club up, start with my weight forward, grip down, and shorten my backswing and followthrough a little. I'll work on this and see if it doesn't result in the desired height but with better dispersion control.

• Upvote 2

Jon

@JonMA1 Nice!  Yea, it's not always the best shot, but will come in handy quite often (more times than not).  And as you discovered, easier to keep shots on target.  The more you get used to it, you might naturally start to develop a little check up which will of course help reduce the roll out.

Not sure what will happen Friday at the Michigan outing. I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for some poor play. I want to enjoy the outing regardless of what I bring to the course, but at the same time, not totally embarrass myself. One thing for certain, my game won't suddenly improve on its own.

Irons were solid on Sunday. I played from the short tees in order to work almost exclusively on those clubs. I hope that carries over. I had issues with good contact on previous rounds and made that a focus during practice all week.

The changes/thoughts I made were:

1. Straighter left arm throughout the swing, letting that arm control my swing path.

2. Not letting my arms get behind my chest and shoulders at the top

I can live with the dispersion issues for now - as long as I can make good contact. As far as the other clubs, It might be a long day. But then again, seems like I'm always chasing a moving target, so who knows? Maybe the driver will be solid and my irons will stink up the round.

Jon

On 4/4/2017 at 3:55 PM, JonMA1 said:

AfterRoundPractice.jpg

I recorded some swings after Sunday's round. This was a typical swing.

My (uneducated) opinion...

My address is ok, I'm getting weight back on the back swing, and I'm getting a centered hip turn. I'm no longer taking my hands so far behind me. I also like that my back is angled the way it is at the top... I think that's good.  While this swing was a bit choppy, I'm trying to make a smoother full swing without any hitches and I think that has improved.

But...

I'm failing to get a full shoulder turn and my arms never get very high at the "top" (not a priority but still something I'll need to deal with eventually). While I'm getting a tiny bit of weight forward (which IS STILL my priority), it isn't nearly what it should be. The hips barely move forward in these images. A straight line drawn down from my hip fall inside my foot as compared to a good player in the image below. This image is after impact so I don't think I'm flipping, but I'm obviously not getting much forward lean either. Again, not really a priority but something that needs to improve.

ComparisonKey2.jpg

I think you make a nice turn.  From face on one check is draw a line straight through your right shin towards the left shoulder.  If it points at the left shoulder at the top it's a good turn imo.  IMO the left knee breaking allows a fuller turn if that's what you desire.  Also in golf some don't need to make a conscious effort to shift weight.  

Personally if I make an effort to shift my weight it gives me more sway.  IMO some of that pressure shifting that happens is a result of the swinging motion and your body not resisting the swinging motion.

Again I am a known kooky guy so ymmv.

Edited by Jack Watson

Thanks @Jack Watson. Always appreciate someone taking time to offer help.

When I concentrate too much on a full shoulder turn, I start to slip from my weight forward priority piece. So I tend to compromise. I can physically turn 90°, but for some reason I don't...yet.

The weight shift has been a challenge. I think staying back and rotating on my back leg still creeps back when I'm on the course, though I haven't taken video on the course yet this season.

For those who have proper weight shift come naturally, the game probably comes a bit easier.

Jon

Went out today and played 9 on an easy course. I'm getting as much or more distance than I've ever had with all the clubs. While I duffed a couple of iron shots today, I'm making pretty solid strikes with most full swings.

Yet, I'm scoring worse than I have in several years.

The thing is, I don't know if it will change. I might have a round now and then without a blowup hole, but even without those, every part of my game is just bad enough to make pars a real challenge.

I'm practicing a little less than in the past and with less focus. Throw in a touch of apathy and it's of no surprise that what had previously been a poor game is now a little worse.

I still look forward to playing and enjoy the good shots when they occur. I'm just trying to make an honest assessment, keep unrealistic expectations at bay, and re-evaluate what I can get out of this game. I enjoy the thread about club championships. I love competition and would really love to be in that mix. But this game is just so ****ing hard to get good at. Hats off to those who were/are able to do it.

I do miss hitting approach shots as well as I had the last couple of years and would like to get that part of my game back. I believe that might provide the motivation to keep working. But as far as ever scoring consistently low, it simply seems out of reach and I'm not sure I have the desire to work as hard as is needed.

Talk about a first world problem. Lol.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!