IGNORED

Landscaping fabric = immovable obstruction?

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My home course is about 20 years old, and was designed by Jack Nicklaus. So, we've got some exciting bunkers and dips and rolls around the greens, and several testy fairway bunkers.

Twice on the front nine, I had odd lies involving buried landscaping fabric which had worked its was to the surface. On one hole, my ball was just off the green, and in a bare spot that had a clump of nylon mesh sticking out of the ground. The ball was sitting partially under the mesh.

Two holes later, my lay-up shot on a par 5 that rolled up to the edge of a fairway bunker. This time, the ball had rolled up against a piece of dark landscaping felt that had surfaced from the bank of the bunker. The felt piece was behind the ball.

In both cases, I took a free drop, citing the rule for immovable obstructions. My two playing partners agreed.

Did I do the right thing?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes.

Thank you for the expansive answer as to why taking relief was appropriate. I am sure all the readers are now better prepared to properly apply the Rules.

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes.

Thank you for the expansive answer as to why taking relief was appropriate. I am sure all the readers are now better prepared to properly apply the Rules.

What more was needed?  He asked if his procedure was correct  He cited the rule, and if he followed the procedure in Rule 24-2 for immovable obstructions, then the only answer necessary was the one I gave.  If anybody wants to know more they can look it up HERE .

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The questioner posited the correct answer in his narrative. The question was seeking confirmation - which was given.

Wait a minute!  Did Jack specify those landscaping items?  If not, then maybe they are 'illegal' modifications to the original design. And since those illegal mods caused said player grief, said player is entitled to remove one stroke from his card to penalize the greenskeeper/superintendent.

Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!