IGNORED

How many of you golf with your significant other and how did they progress?

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mdl

Well, I already taught my wife to drive a stick shift, and have just started teaching her to play golf.  Hope that works out as well!

Come to think of it, I taught her how to drive a stick too! I guess it depends on the wife.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play every week with my wife and she's getting better. I try to coach her as little as possible, but she wasn't doing well for the longest time so I had her cut her swing down to half swings so she could get more consistent and advance the ball on most shots. She's really getting there...she hits the fairway about 75% of the time w/driver which she swings full and putts reasonably well. She's very inconsistent with iron play and her chipping and pitching isn't yet good. But she enjoys the game regardless so she's already doing better than some.

Originally Posted by rwfastrax

She's very inconsistent with iron play and her chipping and pitching isn't yet good.

Ditto for my wife until I bought her a new set which included a chipper.   Suddenly, she became a chipping wizard.  Only my pride stops me from stealing her chipper (or buying myself one).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Only my pride stops me from stealing her chipper (or buying myself one).

A Niblick can be used in the same fashion, along with many more uses.

My normal foursome hates me for my 56 degree Niblick putting stroke out of the bunkers.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I would love to get my wife interested in golf again.  There is a pretty active couples group that plays where we live and I think it could be fun.  They are not serious...which might be a stretch for me but I think I coul d handle it if she were playing.  I got asked by another lady to join the group and she would be my partner but I really don't want to do that.

Hell, I'm trying to get her to start playing golf and I can't even talk her into quitting her job.  I must be doing something wrong.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

My wife started playing golf when we got married in 1975. She's only 4-foot-10, and doesn't hit the ball very far, maybe 150 yds. on a good drive.

Last time she played semi-regularly was about 1996, and since our 2002 move it's been a couple of times a year, mainly at par 3 courses. She sees golf mainly as a social event, and doesn't practice much between rounds.

She needs new clubs - her current clubs are a Square 2 Petite set (for women 5-2 and under in height). These were cutting-edge women's clubs back about 1990 - but have steel shafts, even in the woods. Adams bought the club line a couple of years ago.

She supported us getting a couple's membership at a local club, and took a golf clinic in June. We try to play nine holes together on Sunday afternoons (course pretty open after Noon time slot). We like the two pros, the club staff and other golfers at the club, but the course itself is tough for men and bordering on brutal for the average woman. If she doesn't like this course, more female-friendly layouts are available nearby.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

My wife started playing golf when we got married in 1975. She's only 4-foot-10, and doesn't hit the ball very far, maybe 150 yds. on a good drive.

Last time she played semi-regularly was about 1996, and since our 2002 move it's been a couple of times a year, mainly at par 3 courses. She sees golf mainly as a social event, and doesn't practice much between rounds.

She needs new clubs - her current clubs are a Square 2 Petite set (for women 5-2 and under in height). These were cutting-edge women's clubs back about 1990 - but have steel shafts, even in the woods. Adams bought the club line a couple of years ago.

She supported us getting a couple's membership at a local club, and took a golf clinic in June. We try to play nine holes together on Sunday afternoons (course pretty open after Noon time slot). We like the two pros, the club staff and other golfers at the club, but the course itself is tough for men and bordering on brutal for the average woman. If she doesn't like this course, more female-friendly layouts are available nearby.

I love it!   Keep at it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Before stating my story with the wife golfing, let me first say I think it's great when a couple can find something they enjoy doing together and can spend time together.  I married my wife because I love her and I love spending time with her (no, she's not reading this haha).  So I'll be thrilled the day she really gets into it... and I think it's great for all of you who can share that with your other half.

Now our story... when my wife and I first met, she had only golfed once and wasn't very fond of it.  Soon after we got married, I convinced her to go get a cheap set of women's clubs and hit the range with me a few times.  I didn't over do teaching her anything, just the grip and very basic mechanics... and I always tried to be positive and encouraging.  She started striking the ball well enough that the next step was to hit the executive course by our house.  She was a bit nervous of not playing well in front of other people, but other than that we had a good time together and she enjoyed it.  We had a few more golf date nights that year and she really started to enjoy the game, not worry about the bad shots, and just enjoy spending time together (it also helped when she saw the nature hanging around... rabbits, baby dear, etc.).  Unfortunately... about our 5th time out together that year, she wound up losing her engagement ring on the golf course... she was devastated and swore off golf going forward.  In the 4 years since that happened, I've gotten her to go to the range twice and golf once (in our going away scramble tournament when we moved out west last year).  I'm praying that when our daughters get a little older that they'll get into golf, which I think will make my wife enjoy it again.

I taught her how to ski, and she is now a skiing fanatic!  Now fingers crossed on the golf...

I definitely do. Also, planning more family coaching sessions with our old coach. It's more fun going out together.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My wife is my regular Sunday golf partner. This is her 5th season playing. Why she plays and enjoys the game - Outdoors, nice surroundings, warm weather, exercise, competetive activity, something we both enjoy doing together. Sundays are golf at a nice course followed by an outdoor dinner usually. How she started - Putting drills in the basement on carpet to get a feel for how hard to putt a ball makes it go x far. Next step was a spring trip to FL at a place with a great practice facility. Lots of learning how to chip balls to greens. Hit down on ball ... ball flies. Place had at least 10 chipping and putting greens throughout the facilty. She practiced a lot! Summer was lots of range work. 7-iron off tees then hit the driver. When the first driver shot went high and long, she was hooked. Her clubs - She plays a TM Burner driver, a Cobra 5 hybrid and Adams 6-9 iron, PW SW and has a really nice Oddessy putter. Her game is driver (probably the best part of her game) 5-hybrid to get into short iron range, on the green and almost always gets up and in from the short irons in 3 shots. She finally broke 50 on one 9 just this year (5 years in) and usually shoots 100-110 for 18. Pretty consistent but length of course is the great equalizer for her. Couple of tips as your wife learns: Golf is a game where you put in a quarter (practice time) and are lucky to get a dime back. It's ridiculously hard for beginners. Temper your wife's expectations early and often. A shot from 15 yards with a SW that stays on the green is a GREAT SHOT!!! Make sure she hears this a lot. Anything that flies and stays anywhere near the fairway is another GREAT SHOT! For you, it's patience and a lot of positive reinforcement or she'll quickly tire from not being good right out of the box. Good luck. If she's interested, first hurdle cleared. Do all you can to put her in position to succeed. dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by 1484

Golf + Sex

what else is there to say?

You must have misunderstood.  They were talking about playing golf with their wives........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by rkim291968

But you only live once and there may not be golf in afterlife.

I certainly hope there is, any decent paradise would have hole in the ground and balls of some type. You might have to improvise but I am sure there is a way!

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

I've gotten my wife out on the range a couple of times and she actually did quite well but she went out on the course with me a couple of weeks ago and at the turn literally asked me "we're only halfway done" :). By the end of the round she would actually lay down across the seat of the cart, it was pretty funny to watch.

She and I usually play early Sunday morning.  It's nice to get out before the crowds and have the peace of the course to ourselves.  We usually grab a quick breakfast to go at Panera and head to the course.  Very nice and relaxing.  We often also play nine after work and walk the dogs while doing so.  We usually take the last 7:00 tee time and just relax and play.  We enjoy it.  I still get plenty of guy golf time but this we can do together.

Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!