• Announcements

    • iacas

      Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

      No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
rkim291968

What sports don't belong in the Olympics?

Recommended Posts

They kicked wrestling out of the Olympics which is crap.   IMO, there are many sports that should have been kicked out ahead of Olympics.  If I am an IOC czar, I'd drop the following sports from the Olympics in a heart beat.  In no particular order ...

Ban category:

  • Equestrian - belongs in animal Olympics.  Animals do the work and rich owners gets the medal?
  • Modern Pentathlon - this opens the door for more combination events anyone can think of.  How about combing boxing, marathon, and diving and call it a trimadathon?
  • Race walking - what's next?   Race crawling on all four?  How about race walking side ways?   Race hopping using one leg?
  • Trampoline - isn't it like jumping up and down on bed?
  • Sync swimming - I can see syncrho 100 meter dash, syncrho biking, ...
  • Sync diving - Chinese conspiracy to add a few more medals to their total
  • Artistic Gymnastics - belongs in Cirque du Soleil?
  • Sailing - how about parachuting?  Of course, then comes synchro parachuting.

Reduce medal category:

  • Swimming - American conspiracy to beef up medal total.  See my comment on race walking.  There should be only one style (free or whatever a swimmer can swim fastest).    At least get rid of medley event, and/or team events.
  • Track - see swimming.
  • Canoe/Kayaking - I almost put this on "Ban" category.
  • Cycling - when and how we ended up with 4 different types of bicycling: BMX, road, track, mountain?  Ooooo ... I see combination category coming.
  • Gymnastics - either get rid of all round event or just have it only
  • Rowing - see Canoe
  • Shooting - I almost put this on "Ban" category.

What are your lists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

I like your reasons for taking out Equestrian :-)). Seems odd to take out wrestling. Just seems like the main reason ancient greeks held an olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Animal Olympics lolololol. Just bring back wrestling and make sure, MAKE SURE women's beach volleyball is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In summary, any Olympic sport that you don't understand should be abolished, and the remaining sports should be condensed into one homogenized event that would be easier for you to follow. Never mind that it takes a different type of athlete to excel in a cross-country mountain bike race opposed to a Keirin race on a track, or a marathon runner compared to a 400-meter hurdler. It's all the same thing in your eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one I'd like to see brought back, Tug of War. And they should introduce Potato Sack Race. Seriously bring back women's softball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by rkim291968

They kicked wrestling out of the Olympics which is crap.   IMO, there are many sports that should have been kicked out ahead of Olympics.  If I am an IOC czar, I'd drop the following sports from the Olympics in a heart beat.  In no particular order ...

Ban category:

Equestrian - belongs in animal Olympics.  Animals do the work and rich owners gets the medal?

Modern Pentathlon - this opens the door for more combination events anyone can think of.  How about combing boxing, marathon, and diving and call it a trimadathon?

Race walking - what's next?   Race crawling on all four?  How about race walking side ways?   Race hopping using one leg?

Trampoline - isn't it like jumping up and down on bed?

Sync swimming - I can see syncrho 100 meter dash, syncrho biking, ...

Sync diving - Chinese conspiracy to add a few more medals to their total

Artistic Gymnastics - belongs in Cirque du Soleil?

Sailing - how about parachuting?  Of course, then comes synchro parachuting.

Reduce medal category:

Swimming - American conspiracy to beef up medal total.  See my comment on race walking.  There should be only one style (free or whatever a swimmer can swim fastest).    At least get rid of medley event, and/or team events.

Track - see swimming.

Canoe/Kayaking - I almost put this on "Ban" category.

Cycling - when and how we ended up with 4 different types of bicycling: BMX, road, track, mountain?  Ooooo ... I see combination category coming.

Gymnastics - either get rid of all round event or just have it only

Rowing - see Canoe

Shooting - I almost put this on "Ban" category.

What are your lists?

  • Equestrian - but then rich people's kids won't have a chance at the Olympics
  • Modern Pentathlon - It would be more fun if they shot at each other, HUNGER GAMES!
  • Race walking - agreed
  • Trampoline - recently added and agreed.
  • Sync swimming - OMG!  Worst sport ever except with Martin Short and Harry Shearer do it.
  • Sync diving - ZZZZZZZZZ
  • Artistic Gymnastics - It used to be called rhythmic gymnastics.  It is dumb and for only real gymnastic drop outs.
  • Sailing - keep but reduce the number of events and make them sail to the games!

  • Swimming - Keep. It is the second biggest viewing draw.
  • Track - First sport.  Will never be removed or reduced.
  • Canoe/Kayaking - too many variations, reduce.
  • Cycling - I used to race, but I agree.  It needs to be paired down.  there are too many track event.
  • Gymnastics - Never happen.  By far the biggest audience draw.
  • Rowing - reduce the number of events.
  • Shooting - HUNGER GAMES!

I would add:  Ping Pong and Badminton to the banned list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can you believe Ping Pong ranked higher than Golf, by Olympic Committee and other sports analyst, in most demanding sports? http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2857006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

Can you believe Ping Pong ranked higher than Golf, by Olympic Committee and other sports analyst, in most demanding sports? http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2857006

The table tennis they play at the Olympic level only slightly resembles what you played in your uncle's rec room as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Table Tennis & Badminton at Olympic level are hard sports.  Perhaps, we should combine tennis, table tennis, and badminton as one event and call it a pingathon.

( If anyone checked out Asian games, some games they include are simply stupid.  Don't get me started on this but maybe one day, I should. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW folks, I started the thread in half jest.  I didn't mean to offend anyone who plays trampoline, artistic gymnastics, etc..  So, keep your response light, witty.   But if you have a real good suggestion, please contact IOC .

This whole Olympic mess started when hosting nation was allowed to add a sport.   This is how some of the sports got added and never came off (no such luck for baseball).   I sure like to see baseball added.  Golf is recently added I can see people calling for bowling (already an Asian game medal event).   If bowling is added, billiard will be added (already an Asian game medal event, I think).   If billiard is added, then ... well ... you get my point .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

Here's one I'd like to see brought back, Tug of War. And they should introduce Potato Sack Race. Seriously bring back women's softball.

Tug of War - too brutal. I can see arms being torn off.    However, I'd like to see nations settling their dispute with it instead of going to real war.

No on Potato Sack Race but maybe on Softball & Baseball.   Seriously, not enough nations play these which is one of the reasons why they were dropped.  The other big reason being that it does not garner good global TV rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW folks, I started the thread in half jest.  I didn't mean to offend anyone who plays trampoline, artistic gymnastics, etc..  So, keep your response light, witty.   But if you have a real good suggestion, please contact IOC. This whole Olympic mess started when hosting nation was allowed to add a sport.   This is how some of the sports got added and never came off (no such luck for baseball).   I sure like to see baseball added.  Golf is recently added I can see people calling for bowling (already an Asian game medal event).   If bowling is added, billiard will be added (already an Asian game medal event, I think).   If billiard is added, then ... well ... you get my point :-D .

thought it was funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anything that requires a judge to give a score should not be an Olympic sport.

I want only sports with a definitive winning strategy, score more goals, cross the line first, knockout your opponent etc.

I would love to see a team golf event with a 4 man Ambrose best ball comp. Imagine the scores possible! I think rounds of 54 might be possible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Lihu

I like your reasons for taking out Equestrian ).

Seems odd to take out wrestling. Just seems like the main reason ancient greeks held an olympics.

Saying that the horse does all the work in equestrian is the equivalent of saying that the car does all the work in Nascar.....  I agree though, removing wrestling is just plain wrong.

Sorry, but golf does not belong as an Olympic sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

The table tennis they play at the Olympic level only slightly resembles what you played in your uncle's rec room as a kid.

Especially when it is a match between:

and his arch nemesis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Saying that the horse does all the work in equestrian is the equivalent of saying that the car does all the work in Nascar.....  I agree though, removing wrestling is just plain wrong.

Sorry, but golf does not belong as an Olympic sport.

I don't know about Nascar but I know a bit about horse racing.   Jockeys who get better horses have better winning percentage.  Sure, there are exceptional jockeys who can still win with lesser horses.  But horse's ability prevails more often than what a jockey does.   Often, jockey merely follows trainer's instruction on how to run a race.   If horse racing is an Olympic event, would jockey get the medal?  horse?  owner?  trainer?

True story.   Late Moon Sun Myung, the (in)famous former Unitarian church leader, had many children, 14 all told.  Years back, several of them got interested in Equestrian.  They were able to buy good (and expensive) equestrian horses, trained a bit, and qualified as Korean national team members and participated in two Olympics.   I think they even won medals in Asian games.  I don't think they went to Olympics because they were good athletes.   As I recall, it caused a minor stir when it was reported how much they paid for their horses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • Yeah, beginners clubs go through a lot of abuse. Try getting a used set of good clubs. There are quite a few places that have those as well. The thing about the Zevo clubs was their lifetime warranty. I don't know if they still have it, but as a Golfsmith product they were warranted for life. I got shafts replaces and head glued on many times for free. The name brand products like TM or Callaway required shipping back to the manufacturers and could take a couple weeks. Shop around a bit.
    • Hogwash! I bet these people aren't saying Vince WIlfork isnt an athlete. And all he did was stand up and shuffle a few yards most of the time. You tell them to go hit 1000 balls and then go play 72 holes if they dont think golf is a athletic pursuit. If that doesn't work - get a super soaker, fill it with vinegar and water, and make them pay for their ignorance. 
    • Just because there is a maximum score rule, that doesnt mean people will follow it. Same thing with pace of play. I have played tons of courses that have the pace of play guidelines printed on the scorecard, but rounds take over that amount of time because there is nobody from the course out there actively enforcing the pace of play.  And in my own personal experience of non tournament golf, I have NEVER seen someone to come back up to the tee and hit another tee shot once they got out to the fairway/rough and couldnt find their ball. Based on my experience, people coming back up to the tee and rehitting/not hitting a provisional is not the reason for excessively slow rounds.
    • That's good to know. I've been debating between getting this Zevo complete set, or trying to find a decent quality iron set $150 to $250, that I can use with the current driver I have. Only problem is trying to find one new that isn't poor quality, or one used that doesn't look like it's been beaten to hell and back. Gotta love it! 
    • I haven't watched it, but I've read many of the comics when I was a kid. So, heightened other senses. . .Tradeoffs. Hmm, I wonder how much of that applies to golf?   Another topic for the healing lounge. Golf was insulted by a co-worker who doesn't know much about golf today. I told my co-worker that many of my partners think I can't hit far until I start hitting far on the course or range, because I look kind of dumpy. The real reason is that many have known me for years and knew me when I didn't drive this far on average, which actually only happened recently. Then he said "No golfer looks athletic, they all look out of shape. They're not athletes. You look more athletic than any of them." Then I told him about long drive, and he admitted watching some blurb on TV about that and stated "Yes, but that's not golf. Is it?" So, he agreed that long drivers look like athletes, while still stating that PGA Tour players don't look anything resembling athletes. You know what? I agreed with him, because it's kind of true. . . I was suddenly reminded of one of my recent post about "Fattest golfers on the PGA Tour." vs the "Fittest golfers on the PGA Tour."  Off the top of my head, only Rory, Sergio and Camillo. In recent pictures, Dustin looks like a twig. Tiger has skinny calves. Golf needs to heal from this mornings barrage of "We are not athletes." . . .
  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Get Great Gear with Amazon