IGNORED

Ready for blades?

Note: This thread is 3868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Buy an old 5 and 8 iron blade and see if you like them. I love the feel of blades bc most of the weight is in the hosel. It gives the feeling of swinging a club shaft only rather than swinging a club head on the end of a shaft, if that makes any sense. But on the course I mostly use my cast cavity backs because my shots are more consistent. Practicing with blades might improve your ballstriking though.

Originally Posted by Artimas

Which will go further, a well struck blade or an equally well struck game improvement iron?

Blades do not go farther.

The ONLY reason I use them is so that I can learn to hit better, and my coach keeps me from developing bad habits on a weekly basis.

Soon, I plan to get rid of them and use my ping I10s or purchase a new set of I20s or something like it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started the season using older forged CB's, against my instructor's wishes, that make today's blades look like shovels. In addition to that they had almost no offset. The long iron heads are so small I swear the sweet spot was the size of pinhead. It wasn't that I couldn't hit them but even slight mishits were pathetic. Anything but close to perfect contact meant a massive loss in distance with long irons. They looked beautiful in the bag but in less than a month I trended up from 12 to 14+ so I went back to my trusty 845s and played back down to a 12 where I again got stuck.

Last month after spending a lot of time in stores and indie club maker's shops I made the switch to Cleveland 588 TT's. Which are being called better players clubs in the magazines but look huge to me. Much bigger and wider at every point than my 845s. I dropped my HI by 2 in less than a month and I'm trending down with almost every round. My "bad" scores are now what was middle of the pack just a month ago. It was enough of an improvement I made the change to the 588 Altitude 4-6i and again noticeable improvement on long approach shots. I already had 2013 AMP Cell hybrids but after reading glowing reviews from low cappers playing the Altitudes on a different forum I am glad I took the chance. I will trend down below 10 soon and I can honestly say the club change played a big part. No "ego" blades for me.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Last month after spending a lot of time in stores and indie club maker's shops I made the switch to Cleveland 588 TT's...

That's one of the clubs I am considering, and it sounds like you really like them. Are there any cons to them?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

That's one of the clubs I am considering, and it sounds like you really like them. Are there any cons to them?

Only that I'm a jackass for not pulling the trigger sooner. Cleveland has an awesome fitting cart. Be sure to try them all and don't be afraid to mix a set, the MT's and Altitude's rock as well. Seriously I am in love with the Altitude's.

• Administrator

To those saying that blades don't go farther… it made me think of this: t here is some evidence that whatever distance they go, though, they go more consistently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To those saying that blades don't go farther… it made me think of this: t here is some evidence that whatever distance they go, though, they go more consistently.

That's even true for a high handicap like me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by iacas

To those saying that blades don't go farther… it made me think of this: there is some evidence that whatever distance they go, though, they go more consistently.

I would agree that distances with blades are more consistent but only if you hit the sweetspot, which most people cant do because the sweetspot on a blade is about the size of a dime.

If even the pros are shying away from blades, I see little reason why an amateur golfer should be playing a blade, unless thats just what they want to use.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Plus one for distance control with blades. The reason is bc a true bladed set has zero offset - the only thing helping the ball get airborne is the true loft of the club. So if it's a solid strike, and all other variables remain constant, the ball will travel the same distance, generally.

First of all thanks for all of the suggestions and discussions. I'm not really hung up on Blades. My problem with GI or SGI is that a lot of them have wide soles that are rounded at the bottom of the face and tend to bounce off the turf. I didn't buy the Mizuno's for that reason but noticed that my ball striking got better with them. Every now and then I'll hit the ball first and take a nice divot In front of the ball which feels great. I couldn't do that with the Big Berthas I was playing before. I'm going to stay with the Mizuno's for a while.

Thanks again for all the discussions

Lou

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I would agree that distances with blades are more consistent but only if you hit the sweetspot, which most people cant do because the sweetspot on a blade is about the size of a dime.

If even the pros are shying away from blades, I see little reason why an amateur golfer should be playing a blade, unless thats just what they want to use.

Yep that mishits are more severe with blades is what ended my experiment. Anything but close to perfect contact and the distance is anything but consistent, at least it was for me. I'd rather live with the chance that a few are going to come off the club hot with a more forgiving design, that's the inconsistency issue with GI designs, than suffer with clankers traveling half as far as a good hit.

Originally Posted by Jakester23

What would ping s56 be considered?

I consider it a cavity or muscle cavity back. Ralph Maltby rates the s56 as a GI with an MPF rating of 522.

Joe Paradiso

So is a S56 harder to hit then a G15? I am kinda in love with the S55 that are coming out in November and I was wondering if they would be a big change. Or much harder for me to hit.

So is a S56 harder to hit then a G15? I am kinda in love with the S55 that are coming out in November and I was wondering if they would be a big change. Or much harder for me to hit.

A Ping G15 is considered an SGI iron by Maltby with an MPF rating of 844 which means it is significantly more forgiving than the S56.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Yep that mishits are more severe with blades is what ended my experiment. Anything but close to perfect contact and the distance is anything but consistent, at least it was for me. I'd rather live with the chance that a few are going to come off the club hot with a more forgiving design, that's the inconsistency issue with GI designs, than suffer with clankers traveling half as far as a good hit.

Agree.  Thats why my Mizuno blades are in the closet and the Nike Slingshots are in the bag.  I loved the blades and loved it even more when I hit the center of the face but I dont have the time to put in to make my swing perfect and the Slingshots allow me to play well even when my swing is off.

I figure that until I can shoot par with SGI irons, I have no business playing anything else.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

So if my G15's are sgi's and the s55's are gi's is there a huge difference between the 2? I feel like I hit my g15's well and I think my ball striking is good enough to make an upgrade.

So if my G15's are sgi's and the s55's are gi's is there a huge difference between the 2? I feel like I hit my g15's well and I think my ball striking is good enough to make an upgrade.

What makes you think the S55s are an, "upgrade"?  As a 14 handicap, you should be looking for the most forgiving clubs that you can find.

Note: This thread is 3868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!