IGNORED

Some one you just can't beat

PerthLefty
Note: This thread is 3892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was just wondering if their was any one else out there that have some one that they just can't seem to beat.

Over the last 15 years I must have played about 50 games against my father in-law. I am still waiting to get my first win.

Many times I have come close but he always seems to find that shot that shuts me out.

When I first started he played of a 13 and I was a 25. Understandable that I couldn't beat him. But as the years passed and my swing got more consistent the gap between our scores started to get smaller.

The closest I every got was he won by 1 stoke. I was on the green about 25 foot from the pin for my second on a par 4. he was 10 foot off the green short. Don't know how but he chipped in for a bird and I two putted.

Still haven't lived that one down.

Am I alone in this or do other people have the same problem as me?

The weapons of course descruction:

Driver:  :callaway:  RAZR 9.5 STIFF

3W     : :callaway:  RAZR STIFF

3H      : :callaway:  X HOT  STIFF

4-SW  :  CI11

GW     ::cleve: 588  50/8

P         : :odyssey:  White Hot Pro

Ball     : :callaway:  HEX BLACK TOUR

Are you guys using handicaps?

I've been playing golf regularly with a guy for 2 years now - probably 20 rounds - and only beat him once.  But . .. he's a single-digit type player and I'm a hacker . .so it's probably to be expected.  Niether of us maintain handicaps .. but he usually shoots way, way lower than I do - usually beats me by 12 or more strokes.   If we adjusted for our handicaps (if we kept them), though, I'd probably have beaten him a lot.

The day I beat him was awesome.  He was having the worst round I've ever seen him have - just hitting it all over and even shanking a few . .and I had my best round up to that point (I've had better since).

My father in law. He has been playing for probably 40-45 years and I have played for about 6.

Almost had him last fathers day - my wife told me I was not allowed to beat him that day. I was up by 1 going into the last hole - I bogied, he birdied.

Honestly, the only reason I can come close to him now is that his group of old men play something that resembles golf - a ball in the woods is a free drop if they find it, a penalty if they dont. So, as one guy says *anything they find that is white is their ball*, nothing more than a 2 putt counts, etc. I've been called a *rules nazi* and those that follow the rules know it makes you a better golfer.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best friend from High School.  We've been friends since the 7th grade.  I have beat him once, last year.  But he usually beats me by a few strokes every time.  We are close friends (I was his best man) but we have always had a friendly competition at everything from board games to tennis, to skipping rocks, to who will have the balls to jump off the bridge into 50 degree water.

We even invented new ways to play games just for variety.  The best one was a version of the game Risk, which took too long.  We called it Nuclear Risk.  When you attacked a country, you kept rolling the dice until one country was gone (nuked), then put a black piece on the country. The whole game lasted 10 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

We even invented new ways to play games just for variety.  The best one was a version of the game Risk, which took too long.  We called it Nuclear Risk.  When you attacked a country, you kept rolling the dice until one country was gone (nuked), then put a black piece on the country. The whole game lasted 10 minutes.

That acutally sounds pretty fun.

When I was younger, and my oldest brother would come to visit, my dad, my brothers, and myself would play Risk on the computer.  It helped that the computer automatically rolled the dice for you (you just had to keep clicking on the country you were attacking).  We would typically play it for a long time (no one would win).  If one guy was getting to powerful, we ganged up on him to even things out.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I never used to be able to beat my dad. Of course I never really thought about why until I realized he plays "winter rules" golf all the time so he basically never ends up with a bad lie. Even with that I am able to beat him about 1/2 of the time know and imagine it'll be even more often as I improve. It kind of makes me sad to realize that though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

there's a guy i work with who is scratch, maybe even slightly better than scratch.  i'm a 5-handicap, so i don't really expect to beat him, but he's my target.  if i can beat him, i know i've accomplished something.  i hoping by this time next year, i ought to at least be able to give him a run for his money.

There is a guy I played with basically all year last year and had trouble beating him.  I do from time to time now.  He is a better ballstriker than me, but I am better at short game. And we don't exactly play by the same rules.  At times he has even told me that he shot a certain score - "and I played by YOUR rules."

Needless to say it is pretty satisfying when I beat him.

Note: This thread is 3892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!