IGNORED

Project X 6.0 vs stock taylormade stiff shafts

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so I'm thinking about swapping out the stock shafts in my burner plus irons. I wonder if anyone knows how they compare to each other stiffness and kickpoint wise. I'd like maybe something a little more stiff than what they are now or a higher kickpoint at least.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what shafts are in the clubs now as far as flex. and your swing speed is huge too. i play a 6.0 and love the ball flight i get. have you hit a club with that shaft yet? its really gonna come down to how they feel to you and ball flight that you desire.

Originally Posted by spam

what shafts are in the clubs now as far as flex. and your swing speed is huge too. i play a 6.0 and love the ball flight i get. have you hit a club with that shaft yet? its really gonna come down to how they feel to you and ball flight that you desire.

I have stiff flex stock shafts in my burner plus irons. I have the 6.0 in my driver and hybrid now that's why I was thinking about putting them in my irons.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

im guessing the shafts in your driver and hibrid are graphite. im not sure on kickpoint i have never been that nuts abon that subject i just hit stuff until i find what i like. i would say that the 6.0 is a lttle stiffer and probably gonna lower your trajectory a bit. thats what it did to me after switching from the jz stiffs in my pings. what are you looking for with changing your shafts? if its stiffness i think you will get that but your ball flight will probably be lower

Originally Posted by spam

im guessing the shafts in your driver and hibrid are graphite. im not sure on kickpoint i have never been that nuts abon that subject i just hit stuff until i find what i like. i would say that the 6.0 is a lttle stiffer and probably gonna lower your trajectory a bit. thats what it did to me after switching from the jz stiffs in my pings. what are you looking for with changing your shafts? if its stiffness i think you will get that but your ball flight will probably be lower

The ball flight is super high on these irons so I'd like to get it down just a touch at least. The 6.0s in my driver and hybrid are graphite but I'm not a fan of graphite in irons. I can pickup a set of steel 6.0s for my irons fairly cheap but don't want to go through the hassle if they aren't much different than my stock shafts.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

i am gonna have to lean to the side that you will lower your ball flight. they have a fitting guid that will break it down if you go to px web site it will tell you what will happen to your ball flight. well what could happen to your ball flight. like i said it lowered my flight a bit which is what i wanted due to playing in the pacific northwest it gets a little windy and heavy here at times and i dont like the ball real high anyway

Most stock club shafts will have a softer tip section of the shaft to produce a higher ball flight - which sounds the case with your irons. This gives a nice feel for the average golfer who has a mid-swing wrist release and doesn't flex the shaft aggressively.

All of the project X shafts (5.0, 5.5, 6.0, etc...) are designed for better golfers who want a piercing (lower) ball flight, because they have no issues striking the ball to get it airborne. That means the tip section will be firm and the kickpoint will be higher up the shaft. Additionally they will not torque as much. For the 'average golfer' with the earlier to mid wrist release, it can kill the feel of the club (swinging with a telephone pole). Consequently, you end up swinging harder...and we all know what happens when you do that. Of course, if you already like the Project X shafts and like them, then you know what to expect!

I think the key elements when deciding on a shaft (in order): 1) weight 2) overall club flex 3) torque 4) bend point

Comparing Project X vs stock Taylormade shafts is comparing apples to oranges. You cannot equate the two. TM stock, or any other manufacturers stock shaft for that matter, are designed for the mass market to be sold at a reasonable price point and are probably not best suited for most serious golfers.

A  240 yard 4 hybrid is quite a distance for a 22 handicap.

I suggest you visit your local pro and discuss with him/her exactly what you are trying  to do with your set up.

Originally Posted by teed off

Comparing Project X vs stock Taylormade shafts is comparing apples to oranges. You cannot equate the two. TM stock, or any other manufacturers stock shaft for that matter, are designed for the mass market to be sold at a reasonable price point and are probably not best suited for most serious golfers.

A  240 yard 4 hybrid is quite a distance for a 22 handicap.

I suggest you visit your local pro and discuss with him/her exactly what you are trying  to do with your set up.

It's funny, a lot of people focus on the distance I hit compared to my handicap. My main issue is consistency/accuracy. Last night I had 4 of 9 GiR but putted horribly and had a triple and quad bogeys which killed my score as well. The quad was just embarrassing and annoying as it was one of those chip back and forth acrossed the green. I have a few blow up holes each time out that really balloons my score.

Anyway, on to the actual suggestion you gave of getting fitted by a local pro, I've come to realize that the local pros here aren't really people I would trust based on the one lesson I had.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

It's funny, a lot of people focus on the distance I hit compared to my handicap. My main issue is consistency/accuracy.

Jeremie:  I always think its funny how people are quick to challenge people on this.  I have seen a lot of 14 handicaps that if they actually played by the rules, turned in all of their scores ( and payed courses other than the home course) are more likely a 22.  Play a tough course, play by the rules and bogey golf with a couple of blow up holes is not hard to do...even if you hit it far.  kudos to you for not getting caught up in it.

To answer your question, I took a quick look and couldn't find the specs on the stock iron shafts you are playing. But based upon my experience, the Project X 6.0 are going to play much more stiff than a stock "stiff" shaft.  I played 6.0's in my irons for a while and they played much more stiff than any "stock" stiff I have hit.

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Ok, so I'm thinking about swapping out the stock shafts in my burner plus irons. I wonder if anyone knows how they compare to each other stiffness and kickpoint wise. I'd like maybe something a little more stiff than what they are now or a higher kickpoint at least.

At least with my Burner 2.0 irons i have. They have a taylormade stiff shaft in them. I had them measured with a frequency machine, they were charted as regular flex. I think that might be pretty typical for Taylormade.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

At least with my Burner 2.0 irons i have. They have a taylormade stiff shaft in them. I had them measured with a frequency machine, they were charted as regular flex. I think that might be pretty typical for Taylormade.

That would explain the extremely high ball flight to some degree as well as my tendency to overcook my draw as those are typical symptoms of a shaft that is too weak if I remember correctly.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yea stiff flex isn't really about swing speed, its about type of swing. If you have a very up tempo swing, lets say Nick Price, your going to want a stiffer shaft than lets say Jim Furyk. Different tempos, the shaft will react differently.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by guiseppe

. ... But based upon my experience, the Project X 6.0 are going to play much more stiff than a stock "stiff" shaft.  I played 6.0's in my irons for a while and they played much more stiff than any "stock" stiff I have hit.

Jeremie,

You can compare shafts across different manufacturers if you can find a Frequency Coefficient Matching grid. Golf component experts get a shaft's FCM by testing it on a deflection board. As guiseppe said, the 6.0 plays stiffer than any other stock shaft he has hit.

For comparison, a PX 6.0 (which PX calls Stiff) has FCM = 6.5. A TT Dynamic Golf S300 has a FCM = 5.8 (more than a half a flex softer). Keep in mind, howeve that the 6.0 weighs about 115 grams, while the S300 weight about 127 grams.

PX 5.5 (PX calls it Firm) has FCM = 6.0.

The PX Rifle  is not "low launch" all the way. It gives the ball a little extra lift on launch, but then flattens out for a "boring flight" peak trajectory. PX Flighted shafts give extra launch for longer irons, and lower launch for short irons (to prevent ballooning).

Go to the shaft maker websites to get the specs on different shafts. If you can find a GolfWorks club repair and components catalog, it has many pages of golf shaft models with specs for their different variations. Golf Galaxy owns GolfWorks, and will give yous the catalog.

Best thing to do would be get a fitting. And, don't be discouraged because you had one bad lesson. If you have friends who are good golfers, ask them for someone who could help you get a good fitting.

(Note: as of a couple of years ago, most spec sheets don't list torque for steel shafts; mostly for graphite. And Jeremie, you are right in your priority list: Flex point is a minor fine-tuning issue when getting shafts).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

TM has been putting ~80 gram shafts in the rocketballz & rocketbladez irons to increase SS and distance for the average consumer so they can hype up their distance claims (in addition to longer shafts and stronger lofts). Not sure if they did that with burner irons, but it wouldn't surprise me because I believe it was with the burner woods that TM started their two-track line of woods, with the burner being longer and (much) lighter. That trend continued with the rocketz. Point is if you change from ~80 gram shafts to over 120 grams that is going to feel waaay different. I'd definitely check the weight and try before you buy if that's the case. Shouldn't be too hard to find a set of irons with PX 6.0s to get a feel for the shaft weight. I switched from KBS Tour to C-Taper (which is the KBS version of the PX) and that was a major difference in feel even though the weight diff was only 5 grams.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

TM has been putting ~80 gram shafts in the rocketballz & rocketbladez irons to increase SS and distance for the average consumer so they can hype up their distance claims (in addition to longer shafts and stronger lofts). ...

I took the Rocketbladz Challenge back at Christmastime: My 7i vs. the new Bladz..

Well, my circa 2009 Calllaway X20 Tours with the PX 5.0 shafts launched it farther than the new Bladz. I had trouble feeling the RBladz at the top, and sprayed them here and there. X20T all dropped nicely "into the slot."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!