IGNORED

How much do you practise chipping?

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How much do you practise chipping?

• Every day
    • 4-6 times a week
    • 1-3 times a week
    • Rarely

I warm up for all tournaments by starting on the chipping green. I also work at the course, and I like to go over the the chipping area after working the late shift (off at 6:00 PM).

I prefer being there when I can have the place to myself, because I like to use the Harvey Penick method for practice. He always had his students use just one ball, and hit the chip and then go and putt it. A chip in the hole was a birdie, a one putt after the chip was par, and anything else was unacceptable. He felt that it forced you to take each chip seriously, because you couldn't just drag another ball over and hit it again if you missed the first one. He was always a strong proponent of practicing the same way you play on the course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I mentioned that there are more pressing issues in my game. For instance, slicing my driver. If I can keep my drives in the fairway, I can substantially lower my handicap. My chipping is one of my strengths and I'd rather concentrate more on other facets of my game.

Shoot- I had a horrible ball striking day yesterday- I hit THREE drives OB! Score? 79. Why? Short game. The holes with OB I made bogie, double, double. I couldn't hit the ball straight, made 1 birdie and very few GIRs. On the other hand, when I short sided my self on a couple holes- flop shot to 3-5 feet, sink the putt- par. It's hard to imagine someone striking the ball much less accurately than I did in that round.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I have a full time job, so I practice chipping/putting on my lunch hour and play a 9 hole round after work during the week.

On the weekends I will usually play 18 holes on both Sat & Sun.

My chipping & putting short game usually bails me out of whatever trouble my long game gets me in to. There are times when my long game gets pretty bad so I'll spend a lunch hour (or two) hitting long shot balls rather than chipping & putting ... but I'd say I spend 90% of my time practicing short game chipping & putting.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I have a full time job, so I practice chipping/putting on my lunch hour and play a 9 hole round after work during the week.

Sounds a lot like me, although I can't get out for 18 on the weekends very often.

I have a decent course about 5 minutes from my office ( The Heritage at Westmoor ) with a nice range, nice big chipping / pitching green, and a nice big putting green with about 8 different holes. About 3 days a week I'll go over during my lunch hour. I usually alternate 1 day hitting balls, 1 day chipping, 1 day putting. If I can make it more than 3 days I spend the extra days either chipping or putting. I've just started doing this recently (last month or two), and it has really improved my scoring and my ability to get up-and-down. I also got a shag bag and scrounged up about 35 old balls I had laying around. I think this is necessary equipment for anyone wanting to improve their game.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I practice it whenever I go to a range or course... I SHOULD practice chipping & pitching more, as I am giving away too many shots close to the greens.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I have a chipping net in the back yard. i go back there when i can get a spare minute

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Dave Pelz publishes some interesting data about the short game for different level players:

[pre]Overall Up n Down %
TOUR Scratch 10 HDCP 20 HDCP 30 HDCP
60% 30% 20% 10% 10%[/pre]

Obviously this requires lots of work on all short game areas, including putting.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I haven't golfed regularly for that long, but one of the first things I noticed when I started going out on a regular basis was that my chipping (not so much putting) was really costing me a lot of strokes. I go out probably every day, (most of the time in my yard) and work on those 10-20 yard chips. Once or twice a week i go to my local family golf center and spend about two hours. One hour driving/irons, and another hour working out of the sand, chipping and putting. Having practiced chipping alot latly it gives me alot more confidence to take a full(ish) swing from in close and not have to worry about skulling it over the green.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Note: This thread is 6122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!