IGNORED

Why do you play golf?

islandersfan1
Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play because during the golf season it's better to be outside than in, and I enjoy a challenge. That being said, I also get bored with something if I stop improving, so if I ever get stagnant in my ability to improve I'll either have to start playing in competitions to keep it exciting or I'll move on.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm an addict who likes to pay hard earned money for hours of emotional torture.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I like the learning progression and the challenge golf provides. I also like spending time out on the lovely courses with friends and family, doesn't get much better on a nice sunny day.

I'd like to think it's because I love it, and it's fun, and I enjoy the relaxing time outdoors...

The reality? I'm one of the most competitive people on the planet...and golf is the most difficult sport I've ever played it, so I feel this need to get good at it and conquer it even though I know it's an exercise in futility.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I'd like to think it's because I love it, and it's fun, and I enjoy the relaxing time outdoors...

The reality? I'm one of the most competitive people on the planet...and golf is the most difficult sport I've ever played it, so I feel this need to get good at it and conquer it even though I know it's an exercise in futility.

That's pretty accurate for me also. Except I'm competitive with myself more than others, I just want to do better than I did before not so much beat whoever I'm with.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That's pretty accurate for me also. Except I'm competitive with myself more than others, I just want to do better than I did before not so much beat whoever I'm with.

I'm competitive with everyone when it comes to sports. Doesn't matter how good they are. I'd get pissed if Tiger Woods beat me at golf. Just the way my stupid brain works.

I'd still have fun, but it would bug me. I hate losing.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

When I was a kid I played golf because my parents wanted me to. I kick myself for quitting during my teen years, but there were girls and cars and girls and motercycles and girls... I played a bit more in my early 20s because my father wanted me to. I played a bit in my late 20s with my new wife, but she didn't love it so we quit again. Then I played off and on in my early forties because people I worked with wanted me to, but it didn't catch on. Then about a year ago I decided I wanted to go play golf. Not for anyone else, just for myself. I love it now! I play solo a lot and am perfectly happy that way, it is really you against the course anyway. I work at it because it pleases me. Sweating on the range makes me smile when I see slow but steady improvement. Yeah, it really is the greatest game there is.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I needed something I could focus on outside of work, family, etc. that would constantly challenge me to get better.  Golf has done that.  Every year I want to get physically and mentally better to play better golf.  These in turn make a me better, more fit person as a whole.

Besides, life would not be complete without what we call our Silly Sunday Golf Crew.  As my friend said once its not golf to him unless I am there to say "That was just like on TV!" after a great shot.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I got a divorce 2 years ago and needed something to get my mind off things.So I decided to take up golf.I set a personal goal to be a scratch golfer in a year cause I knew I was gonna be playing alot.Keep in mind I had no knowlege of golf except I knew who tiger woods was lol. I am still a mid 90's handicaper with a personal best score of 82.I never thought I would get this addicted to this game,I AM HOOKED .Ive never had a lesson cause ive been on a limited income, so limited that I walk alot so I can afford to play.Never had any injuries or back problems due to playing but over the last month ive developed a pain in my right elbow.I am 42 years old but in pretty decent shape.Ive actually lost a few pounds and slimmed up by walking the golf course the last 2 years so walking alot has its advantages.

So in a nutshell golf has been therapy for me.

The better question for me is, "Why didn't I play golf sooner." I was the "weird" kid that loved watching pro golf growing up. It wasn't until recently that I had the extra income to get some clubs and play a bit. Now I'm hooked and wish I'd saved up my money when I was younger and gotten a set of clubs to try for the golf team.

Walking the course is relaxing, I'm a competitor but for some reason on the golf course I'm just always happy....unless it's like 100 degrees or down pouring rain...

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

"For some reason on the course, I am always just happy" <-This

I didn't take it up for years because I thought it would aggravate my wrist problems from computer programming. It doesn't. My wrists are fine despite becoming something of a range rat. I am stronger than I was, and more flexible.  Got some muscle tone back in my arms. I doubt I will ever break 80, and if I break 90, it will be a day of luck + being in the zone, but I love being out on the course playing golf.

When I was a kid I played golf because my parents wanted me to. I kick myself for quitting during my teen years, but there were girls and cars and girls and motercycles and girls... I played a bit more in my early 20s because my father wanted me to. I played a bit in my late 20s with my new wife, but she didn't love it so we quit again. Then I played off and on in my early forties because people I worked with wanted me to, but it didn't catch on.

Then about a year ago I decided I wanted to go play golf. Not for anyone else, just for myself. I love it now! I play solo a lot and am perfectly happy that way, it is really you against the course anyway. I work at it because it pleases me. Sweating on the range makes me smile when I see slow but steady improvement.

Yeah, it really is the greatest game there is.

Had a similar situation myself. My dad really tried to get me to play from 13-18, but I wasn't feeling it. Then he gave up trying and around 20 I started playing just out of my own interest. 23 now and play nonstop. Looking back on it I wish I had been into it at 13, but better a little late than never.

It has to be something you want to do. It's too hard and discouraging to tolerate if your not passionate

I like being outside.  I like the challenge.  Oh and the feeling of hitting a pure golf shot every once in awhile resonates with my soul and keeps me coming back for more.

• 1 year later...
What is that ONE thing that first inspired you to start playing? What is it that ONE thing that keeps you coming back for more? Name ONE thing that makes you angry about golf?

Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!